Ariel Pink

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
that was the point, i suppose

the strokes have a glint in their eyes suggestive of a self awareness that escapes common or garden uk student indie and the contempt this engenders is the only interesting thing about them

this reminded me of a fantastic post on the seemingly defunct (sadly) it happens for a reason that got me thinking in the halycon days of last summer

what a great blog post. Bring back the Silverdollar!

The Strokes had 'it' for a single moment in a photograph

the_strokes.jpg

I remember seeing it and thinking 'those boys are going to be famous', has anyone written on what that 'thing' is, that gleam?

gumdrops

i love this album. adore it. no finer album have i heard all year. i think i have a musical man crush on ariel pink. no homo etc etc.

Woebot

Woebots new blog post finally inspired me to check out the new album, you can stream the whole thing here if you didn't already know: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2010/06/ariel-pink-album-premeire.html

On first listen it is indeed quite splendid, he's made the transition to a 'proper' studio and band really well. Anyone else?

yeah benny -it rules

however it did slowly dawn on me that i recognised -hmm- say 4 of the songs. no complaint mind! just sayin'

gumdrops

only thing id say about the album is that the range is maybe a bit too much. eg the last two songs, i like a lot, if only for the lines about 'make me woman' or something, but they seemed like they didnt really need to be there. but theres not a bad/filler song on here, unusually (cant hear my eyes did push the 80s naffness levels a bit but i love the melody). and the production is just superb, managing to be a little murky but at the same time quite plush. nice and punchy but still with that glossy late-70s-ish quality that you dont really hear on albums anymore.

Benny Bunter

I'm in serious danger of sickening myself of this album before I've even bought it, I cant stop playing it! I really liked the portastudio stuff too but after hearing this I kind of want him to rerecord all his old stuff properly now.

Ariel's gift with melody reminds me a bit of Gruff Rhys from Super Furry Animals, who have made some brilliant records and have a similar knack for great melodies that sound strangely familiar and new at the same time.

nochexxx

harco pronting
i've ordered it but am worried it won't be half as good as his early output.

an added thought is that it's still bound to be decent enough!

gumdrops

yeah i thought there was some dino jnr traces on there too, though on the cover of bright lit blue skies. i think ive overplayed it. i went a bit crazy with it the first two weeks of having it and am now trying to stop playing it in case i get tired of it.