Can UK Hip Hop/Grime Blow Up In The States?

bassnation

the abyss
Poisonous Dart said:
When did I write that? All it says is "mixtape form"...I don't have any clue what context I used it in so how can I explain it's usage or what I meant by it? One.

i don't think you understand the question. maybe i wasn't clear enough so i'll rephrase:

when mcs (like roll deep for example) release a mixtape, is it other peoples tracks mixed together with them freestyling over, or is it their own material?

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
artist/label mixtape = a bunch of vocals one after the other on a cd. They might be arranged or faded together but it isn't a "live" set, no.

bassnation

the abyss
Logan Sama said:
artist/label mixtape = a bunch of vocals one after the other on a cd. They might be arranged or faded together but it isn't a "live" set, no.

thanks logan. so whats the difference between that and a fully-fledged artist album?

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
bassnation said:
thanks logan. so whats the difference between that and a fully-fledged artist album?

a mixtape often has other people's beats (for instance, the Ruff Sqwad 'Guns & Roses' mixtape had a bunch of freestyles over the instrumentals of American rap tunes, like 'Lean Back' and Black Rob's 'Woah'), and often might have several tracks where the same instrumental is used to freestyle over by other people. in America, the mixtapes usually have the dj shouting their little ident hook over the tracks (like Kay Slay shouting 'Drama King!' or someone yelling 'Southern Smoke!' on the DJ Smallz Southern Smoke mixtapes). fully fledged albums have original tunes over beats exclusive to that artist.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
On the underground; Mixtapes = Money all goes to the person who put it out with no legal clearance for anything

Albums = everything gets cleared and everyone gets paid fairly

ripley

Unless it's wildly different over there, a mixtape is compiled by a third party (often a dj), and the selection of tracks is based on that person's criteria, rather than based on whether there is any contractual relationship between the artists on the mixtape and the maker.

Whereas an album is released on a label, usually by a single artist or crew, or generally by people who have all signed a contract with a label to release that album.

Logan Sama said:
On the underground; Mixtapes = Money all goes to the person who put it out with no legal clearance for anything

In the underground scenes I'm familiar with people spend a lot of their own money to make mixtapes and make no money off it (or maybe I'm not clear on who you mean by "the person who put it out" as if there's a middleman that does add another level of money and distribution.) Or no money directly, although their own dj rep can be raised up by a popular mixtape, which can mean more gigs..

Logan Sama said:
Albums = everything gets cleared and everyone gets paid fairly

Most of the real value of mixtapes to artists is as marketing and promotion, generation of hype, familiarity and attention. SOmething a lot of artists can't afford, and something labels spend lots of money on.. trying to get people to play their tunes to get their sound more widely heard. Mixtapes are a bit like pirate radio (even though they don't pay ASCAP/PRI dues, I think, most artists don't boycott pirate radio).

In my experience in various levels of the US and European underground is that hardly anyone on the creative side makes any money off albums. The "paid fairly" is pretty theoretical, after all the recording, production, marketing and promotions costs are covered. There's a small group of mid-level indie labels where there is money passing around more fairly, usually with artists who have a stable and loyal fanbase on smallish, established labels that have a committed vision of fairness to artists, but for everyone else, albums are a stepping stone to a major label deal where almost no money is made by the artists off copyrights, or to generate ticket sales for concerts.

While in the mainstream nobody gets paid fairly and the label takes nearly all of the money.

Another thing about mixtapes is sometimes they are more musically interesting than an album all by one artist - there is another layer of creativity involved in combining different tunes together, there's often more variety and dynamic range. With a lot of hip-hop I prefer mixtapes for this reason.

sorry that's my pet issue these days so I'm bound to ramble on.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
In Grime established people put together mixtapes, and then sell them in stores and keep all the money for themselves. And this is pretty much what happens with "established" people in the Hip Hop scene in New York as well.

And by fairly I mean "as per the terms agreed in the contract they signed"

Cornflake

unfortunately i just think the promotion needs to be done more and for that you need some coin. I would love nothing more that to sell mixtapes for artists here in canada and put them in record shops. That would lead to more ppl coming to the shows so i mean its all about putting money in and then hopefully getting more back later...but it all comes down to having that money

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
I give out a lot of free mixes and audio.

Try hunt some of it down and give it out to people free in your area.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Mixtapes

Difference is that you can put out one studio album every year to three years whereas you can put out as many mixtapes as you have to time and energy to make. The Lox ate off of mixtapes, guest appearances and ghostwriting for other artists...they had a HORRIBLE deal in place so they had to hustle hard just to eat. Many other artists make a studio album and a couple of mixtapes to go along with it. They get sold from anywhere to $5 to $8 each and they give them the same kind of promotion that a year round publicist cant (i.e. Kano's Beats & Bars mixtape). Those not familiar with an artists work can hear his mixtape and now if they like it they'll start checking for his past and new material. One.

C

captain easychord

i love how all the SOV reports are all "yeah, one day she just like, walked into jay'z's office and got signed" without mentioning the island def-jam music group connection...

and kano could be the biggest crossover from grime, he's hugely gifted. his flow is effortless, at almost any tempo although i prefer him on 70/140 tempos,

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
I'm so sick of Lady Sovereign!

I don't want to discuss Lady Sovereign UNLESS it's in the following context(s):

1. Lady Sovereign being signed because Jay wasn't aware there were SO MANY OTHER TALENTED EMCEES in the UK that deserved that shot before Sov got it.

2. How in the hell is he going to get her to be accepted in the US market? Can her "cheekiness" properly translate in the US? Who'll produce for her? Will they try to make her choruses a little more conventional and reign her in a little?

3. Can she get away with having all those clothes on and a side ponytail all the damn time? Will BET EVER play her shit?

4. Will this open up the market for Kano, Lethal Bizzle, Wiley, Roll Deep, Klashnekoff, Skinnyman, Jehst, Kyza, Skribbla, Genesis Elijah, etc. in the States?

5. How many female emcees are BETTER than Sov and can her "Feminem" qualities be the main reason for her signing...she is kinda photogenic and she will appeal to a certain market...will she be accepted by the CORE hip hop/rap audience, though?

Unless I'm sleeping with her, getting paid off of her music in some way, shape or form or in ANY of the scenarios mentioned above then I DON'T CARE TO DISCUSS LADY SOVEREIGN! One.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
I'm a hypocrite!

I went to the record store today...thumbed thru the CD's, perused the vinyl, scanned through the DVD's, went straight to the magazines...I read the Mass Appeal, Elemental, The Ave....and Venus..the one with Lady Sov on the cover. I read the Ladybug Mecca article, and the Donnas article...then the LADY SOVEREIGN ARTICLE. I AM A GODDAMN HYPOCRITE! One.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
What it illustrated is labels are idiots promoting the wrong artists and giving the public albums full of music which do not correllate to what made said artist "big" on the underground in the first place. They are looking for gold selling artists from a form of music which has only existed as an unique entity for little more than 4 years.

Oh and this music got big off pirate radio, not "The clubs of Hackney and East London"

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
It's like I always say...

If you don't know for sure then keep your mouth shut....and for God sake don't write it and publish it! You'll look like an ass. One.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Nutty

Everytime I got to Roll Deep's myspace page, the 30 second "Shake A Leg" video starts up and I get kicked off of the page...but the damn video is still playing! When it ends and I close it it goes back to the last page I was just on! I'm just trying to add these dudes to my Friends List...damn! One.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Question Remains....

Any heads think that Grime or UK Hip Hop can make a foothold in the States? I know that Dizzee Rascal and Ms. Dynamite had some success and The Streets is a media darling over here but do you think that Kano, Lethal Bizzle or someone else can get it done? One.