Can UK Hip Hop/Grime Blow Up In The States?

Cornflake

Ive mentioned it before to many ppl that grime will never blow up here until artists have the money for tours here and not just come to new york....

Even if your a fan of grime its really hard to get to a show....if you dont like in new york.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
People don't even do tours of the UK yet, let alone the states.

I would like to see a lot more events happening but it is hard right now.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
What?

Now, all of a sudden everyone is coming to me and asking me to recommend them some Grime and asking me about Grime artists...I guess I'm one of the few people that is a fan of Grime that ISN'T a poseur/hipster so I can better explain things. The MTV Overdrive/Kidulthood hype has created some interest in American hip hop/rap fans...I had to make a damned slang glossary and PM it to someone recently. I hope this doesn't result in anything that pimps/dilutes/hurts the Grime scene/community in any way, shape or form. I'm worried about MTV/MTV2 (Viacom) getting a hold of this and sucking the marrow out of it. One.

Keith P

draw for the drumstick
Poisonous Dart said:
Now, all of a sudden everyone is coming to me and asking me to recommend them some Grime and asking me about Grime artists...I guess I'm one of the few people that is a fan of Grime that ISN'T a poseur/hipster so I can better explain things. The MTV Overdrive/Kidulthood hype has created some interest in American hip hop/rap fans...I had to make a damned slang glossary and PM it to someone recently. I hope this doesn't result in anything that pimps/dilutes/hurts the Grime scene/community in any way, shape or form. I'm worried about MTV/MTV2 (Viacom) getting a hold of this and sucking the marrow out of it. One.

ditto.

Cornflake

kidulthood is a new movie that is out in the uk...basically just like the movie kids, i watched a bad bootleg of it on the computer and it didnt seem like anything too amazing, but it was a bad bootleg so it was hard to watch lol

I've been saying this for the longest....

indie groups (yes I know they are two different market places) tour toilets for ages and I mean ages then upgrade after a few tours to bigger venues. Where are the joint hip hop and garage/grime tours? why isn't anyone on this? too much work probably....

Logan Sama said:
People don't even do tours of the UK yet, let alone the states.

I would like to see a lot more events happening but it is hard right now.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Good lord...

In Boston, Grime has piqued the interests of some hip hop heads (Like my boy from the IC (AllHipHop.com's Ill Community messageboard for the unfamiliar) from NY who lives in Boston now, bx representer. Here's a link to a thread he made asking the typical questions any American Hip Hop fan would ask about Grime and the typical responses all came out as well...the first crack in the levy? You be the judge. One.

http://community.allhiphop.com/showthread.php?t=239124

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
I want to big up turntable lab dot com in Boston who sold out of Gangsterz faster than all but 5 of the top stores in the UK

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Yeah.

Logan Sama said:
I want to big up turntable lab dot com in Boston who sold out of Gangsterz faster than all but 5 of the top stores in the UK

It's up on his MySpace page and whenever people ask about Grime, one of the FIRST names mentioned is, of course Wiley. The interest and buzz isn't new, it's just that question of what will it lead to? One.

Freakaholic

not just an addiction
Saw that listing a bit ago, and Im real excited to see the turnout for Kano. As mentioned before, Dizzee and Sovereign brought out the "hipster" crowd, and not so much the "grime" crowd youd expect, or be able to create a regular scene around. So Im hoping for a little of the hip hop crowd to dig on Kano.

Hopefully have a weekly breaks/grime/dubstep/broken beat/garage night up by then as well, with the ongoing goal of creating a larger, more unified scene in Chicago in order to bring in UK artists, as well as those in the US that are easily overlooked because they do not have a draw outside of their home towns.

Has anyone had success in doing this in the US? Theres been a little talk here and there of crossover audiences, and who would like the music. Im gambling that most of the people into the genres mentioned above will like the ones that they dont know, and so will continue to support a night, even when we need to charge for headliners they dont know.

Any support or wisdom would be welcomed.

ghost

I feel a little like Grime had to stop being Grime to really matter here in the US. I like the new stuff but there's more Skrillex in that track than Flowdan. We've got a little Skepta and I heard the Bad Boy Chiller Crew yesterday sitting in a bar. But mostly what comes through is not so british.

other_life

bioconfused
the main thing i got out of this thread was confirmation that this was an Insanely polarised era for rap music