Worst Pop Raps

dHarry

That Bart Simpson single "Do The Bartman"... :rolleyes: :confused: :eek: :mad: :eek:

And did anyone else find the KLF's 1987 What The F%*k Is Going On a pretty unpleasant rap experience, despite the subversive concept & humour? Not exactly pop, though, I admit.

And their later & greater Justified & Ancient rap "Make mine a 99 [...] They're justified and ancient/Ancient and they're justified" ice cream van bizness was prett daft, though it sounded like real rapping.

Last edited:

Vietgrove

Godbluff
come on people:

"what you gon do with all that junk?/all that junk inside your trunk?

I’ma get, get, get, get, you drunk/Get you love drunk off my hump.
My hurgh, my hurgh, my hurgh, my hurgh, my hurgh,
My hurgh, my hurgh, my hurgh, my lovely little lumps. (Check it out)"

then later on there's that bit about "mixing my milk with your cocoa puff"

What the fuck? Unbelievably terrible, and far worse that that Madonna one, which is at least funny.

Also that one on that pussycat dolls record "dontcha" or whatever it was called. What a mess.

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
If KRS 1 is going to be mentioned, we have to diss his rap on Digital, the Goldie collaboration. "Representin' like the internet....". Make him stop!

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
How on earth have you managed to have a 3 page thread about bad rapping without mentioning mr c?

Those of a sensitive disposition, avert your eyes...

Well you know that any mountain is capable of moving
The shamen and the new generation who are proving
You can be who you want to be
with your soul and your body and your mind be free
Well never mind, we all are that
and going all the way is where I'm at
With delivery smooth like a water from a fountain
Thats why i can move any mountain!!

Now thats a bad rap!

A journalist friend of mine once earned my eternal respect when he was interviewing Mr C in his late 90s end-owning pomp for some dance mag: and prefacing one question by telling him he was 'very much maligned and misunderstood' as a DJ.

mms

sometimes
2stepfan said:
I love the humps record.

And the pussy cat dolls one, pop moment of the year for me.

aha you should hear the tori alamaze version of don't cha that came out last year, flopped - then this lot covered it to make it a hit. they were a vehicle for carmen electra u know - who i once saw live supporting prince...
the tori alamaze version is hot hot hot , dangelo as a girl..

she was a backing vocalist for outkast apparently..

minikomi

pu1.pu2.wav.noi
totally agree. still melt every time i hear that version.

how about... COME ON AND ROCK ME AMEDEUS?

i also have a ninja turtles 12" by a group caleld BOSE... ahhh man. i will make this mix. i have some gems haha

The Don - my Big 12 inch
wee papa girl rappers - heat it up
etc. . .

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Gabba Flamenco Crossover said:
How on earth have you managed to have a 3 page thread about bad rapping without mentioning mr c?
Some guys I used to make music with had the 'Move Any Mountain' single where they issued all the component bits of the song on one track, encouraging you to make your own remix. I remember rewinding that one line from the acapella over and over... "delivery smooth [massive audible gasp] like a water from a fountain" Yeah. Real smooth.

As for George Michael, from memory one of those Wham! tunes kicks off with "Hey everybody just listen to me / Cos I've got street credibility" ... up there with Mr C on the self-delusion stakes, surely. But yeah, I hear the Sugar Hill connection to. I always think of 'Young Guns' or whatever it's called when I hear Chic's 'Good Times', and I imagine George was referencing 'Rappers Delight' more than the Chic track.

Sorry if that got convoluted. :)

Also, re: Korn, Limp Bizkit, et al, I think of Scott from Anthrax trying to chuck in a verse on that remake of 'Bring The Noise' as a horrendous sign of the bad things to come.

Speaking of amazing collaborations Public Enemy have done, on New Kids On The Block's 'Games' one of the older Kids did have a go at a rap didn't he?? Surely that's got to be a *ahem* beautiful thing?

(Prince &) The Revolution member Cat's rap on the album version of 'Alphabet St' is nails on a blackboard for me. Maybe not pop enough, given it was excised from the single... never heard it til I listened to 'Lovesexy' years later.

In fact, any time Prince tries to go near contemporary rap he (or whichever MC he's dragged in at the time) fucks it up, IMO.

I'm sure I've heard something really really awkward and horrible by someone like Neil Young. I don't think it was him, but someone as ... wrong.

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
I'm not sure can beat the suggestions here, but the worst pop beatboxer as to go to Justin Timberlake in 'rock your body'... truly hideous.

henry s

Street Fighting Man
I recall Paul Weller awkwardly stuttering alongside some hired rap crew in a Style Council song..."Right To Go", perhaps?...a real eye-roller, if memory serves...

I don't think this has been released yet, but the printed lyrics I've seen for the new Kevin Federline track are priceless...

xero

was minusone
Diggedy Derek said:
Debbie Harry's rap in rapture is so loose and louche that I think it's rather great. I always thought it said "DJ's spinning a set in my mind", which is a truly great lyric.

I heard that too - it's much better than the truth as is so often the case!

what about Snap! - they had some truly awful rap interludes if i remember correctly

plus loads of italo tunes have bad rapping on them - but some are so weirdly off-colour and incomprehensible that they are pretty special

ripley

minusone said:
what about Snap! - they had some truly awful rap interludes if i remember correctly

Snap! reminds me of the fact that many of these clunky rappers were ex-US Military. I forget his name, the guy in Snap! but he was, and so is Hammer.. and I know there are others (Shaggy too, I think).

They all have this really square, literal, clunky non-flow.. anyone have counterexamples or supporting ones?

mms

sometimes
ripley said:
Snap! reminds me of the fact that many of these clunky rappers were ex-US Military. I forget his name, the guy in Snap! but he was, and so is Hammer.. and I know there are others (Shaggy too, I think).

They all have this really square, literal, clunky non-flow.. anyone have counterexamples or supporting ones?[/QUOTE

guy was called turbo b- isn't it funny how pop people are called rappers whilst hip hop undergrounders are called mc's?

the power has a funny story - it's a nick of a track callled 'let the words flow' by chill rob g - chill rob got hostile when he found that the german producers that did snap made his track into a worldwide smash so he released the more afrocentric - power jam which nicks it back!

there is a track called this beat is military by k-9 posse - the rapping is dreadful and clunky but the backing has this sample that goes ' left left left right left' and loads of machine gun and helicopter sounds, so i'm pretty keen on the instrumental..

BareBones

wheezy

British eurovision entry 2001. See the big guy, right of stage, with the red bandana and sleeveless coat thing? The one playing keys, waving his arms around like a cretin, and at about 1:40 doing the kind of painfully moronic rap ("hey, you, do you have a dream?") that just reminds you how awful the world is?

I used to work with that guy.