What happened to the Chemical Brothers\Fatboy Slim\DaftPunk

xero

was minusone
Tim F said:
I suspect the more likely explanation is that Buick spends too much of his energy coming across as sneerily unimpressed with every style of music and every social group who might be into them, and not enough energy self-censoring (or, indeed, coming up with anything worthwhile).

presumably in that case he writes for VICE magazine

AshRa

PS A couple of years ago Daft Punk created the 'house music musical' Interstellar 5555 - the most PROG expression of house music by a country mile!!!

Buick6

too punk to drunk
House IS the new prog. Intestellar was a good anime but the 5.1 mix was really disappointing. And my local paper had an article 2 days ago taken from the Guardian about GRIME being some sort of hip-new-street-genre that black kids listen to. Zzzzzzz

I'm a homosexual hompohic racist cnut is that keep you all happy and sorted! And just to add insult to injury I'm sick of all these Oxford boys pretending they down with the working class. Maybe get a manual labour job with the working class to see how the world *really* works : religion and capitalism and family.

TAKE ON A DOMINANT PARADIGM AND THE PARADIGMERS WILL DOMINATE YOU! :cool:

HEPPY NU YEEEEARRRRR!

tryptych

waiting for a time
Eden, your blog post about big beat really brought the memories back... cheers!

Made me want to dig out those Skycutter 10"s and my Hardnox records too...

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
spackb0y said:
Eden, your blog post about big beat really brought the memories back... cheers!

Made me want to dig out those Skycutter 10"s and my Hardnox records too...

Aw thanks!

Yeah, dig them out, I think they have stood the test of time pretty well. The Hardknox stuff is like poppy breakcore or something. :cool:

geto.blast

snap on rims
it s also a regional thing , here in north america big beat was adopted by the "bar rock"/jock whatever you want to call it scene.

maybe big beat was cool in the uk for a few months but the only place i hear any these days is in car and beer commercials.

geto.blast

snap on rims
Diggedy Derek said:
"Fags" is totally unacceptable, just as "nigger" or "paki" would be.

oh please he was being sarcastic ,do you know how many times i ve been called a fag because i was into industrial music or electronic stuff??

well in my experience fat boy slim and the chems made music that appealled to the same crowd that s always called me a faggot.

i think that s the point he was trying to make.

Buick6

too punk to drunk
geto.blast said:
oh please he was being sarcastic ,do you know how many times i ve been called a fag because i was into industrial music or electronic stuff??

well in my experience fat boy slim and the chems made music that appealled to the same crowd that s always called me a faggot.

i think that s the point he was trying to make.

Thank you. And my love of house music and everything that it represents prolly tags me as a raving closet-case homophonic homosexual hater or whatever.

But deep down I like homsexual men more than I like born-again Christian men with modernist agendas.

geto.blast

snap on rims
Diggedy Derek said:
Sarcasm doesn't come across well in text; if you're being sarcastic, I'd suggest you use a wink smiley.

and you need to appologize for being so jugdmental toward that other guy.

here the US perspective via Mark Prindle:

"Now the last thing I know or even give a crap to learn a thing about is this lil' 1997 "phenomenon" called "Electronica." Basically what it means is that Spin magazine has declared the mainstreamitude of a form of music that has been present underground in various (remarkably similar) forms for 15 or 20 years. Why now? Because most alternative rock bands suck the dick, and Spin needed something else to talk about. So they picked Prodigy and The Chemical Brothers and DJ Spooky and all these other fellows who create electronic music for club kids to take drugs and dance to. Personally, I'm not incredibly familiar with the genre, but both the acclaimed DJ Spooky CD and the acclaimed latest Chemical Brothers release bore the living death out of me, so I'm assuming that it's probably not a form of music that is geared towards me specifically. Still, I love Meat Beat Manifesto. They (or, these days, HE) create a form of electronic music that is, at different times, rockin', immersive, moody, catchy, disturbing, hypnotic, and, darn it, for once, INTERESTING. Maybe there are others who do it too; if so, let me know. I tried The Orb and they bored me. If you can pick me out another "techno" or "ambient" band that welcomes me to their world with as many cool as hell noises as Meat Beat Manifesto, please do so."

source: http://www.markprindle.com/meatbeaa.htm

john eden

male pale and stale
geto.blast said:
and you need to appologize for being so jugdmental toward that other guy.

It wasn't an isolated incident.

It is tedious to post up quotes which just say what Big Beat became. We can all agree on that.

The interesting thing is reappraising the good bits, surely?

martin

----
geto.blast said:
here the US perspective via Mark Prindle:

"Now the last thing I know or even give a crap to learn a thing about is this lil' 1997 "phenomenon"...

Personally, I'm not incredibly familiar with the genre

I'm assuming that it's probably not a form of music that is geared towards me specifically

source: http://www.markprindle.com/meatbeaa.htm

So basically this bloke's admitting he's formed a prejudice without even checking it out properly.

geto.blast

snap on rims
john eden said:
It is tedious to post up quotes which just say what Big Beat became. We can all agree on that.

My point was that it never was anything else here. It didn t rise from the underground but came from a jaded mainstream music press straight to FM overkill and car commercials.

Like i said maybe the genre was innovative in the UK for a few months but it didn t impress anyone in a land where 1200 Hobos, dibbs et all had already worked the rock/electronica crossover angle to death. oh and without glossy magazine covers and MTV promos.

but hey feel free to point out any of the "good" bits worth reappreasing i m not wanting to rain on that parade i was just trying put BB in a wider global context.

john eden

male pale and stale
geto.blast said:
My point was that it never was anything else here. It didn t rise from the underground but came from a jaded mainstream music press straight to FM overkill and car commercials.

Like i said maybe the genre was innovative in the UK for a few months but it didn t impress anyone in a land where 1200 Hobos, dibbs et all had already worked the rock/electronica crossover angle to death. oh and without glossy magazine covers and MTV promos.

but hey feel free to point out any of the "good" bits worth reappreasing i m not wanting to rain on that parade i was just trying put BB in a wider global context.

Your point, which you have now made twice, is still tedious. My article on big beat is linked upthread.

geto.blast

snap on rims
Sorry sir if i repeat myself i won t do it again i just thought mrPrindle's non london-centric view od BB relevant in this thread.

Yeah i read your article and pretty much anything you blog.. does your comment mean once you ve called it no one else can write about it?

please explain?