What happened to the Chemical Brothers\Fatboy Slim\DaftPunk

bassnation

the abyss
john eden said:
Your point, which you have now made twice, is still tedious. My article on big beat is linked upthread.

i hear boards of canada being used on tv documentaries fairly often - does that make their music shit? don't understand that attitude at all.

Last edited:

bassnation

the abyss
geto.blast said:
Sorry sir if i repeat myself i won t do it again i just thought mrPrindle's non london-centric view od BB relevant in this thread.

Yeah i read your article and pretty much anything you blog.. does your comment mean once you ve called it no one else can write about it?

no, but it does mean you could actually bother to address johns points instead of rinsing out your one and only argument until we go nuts. are you hoping that repetition will somehow make it right?

matt b

Indexing all opinion
geto.blast said:
Sorry sir if i repeat myself i won t do it again i just thought mrPrindle's non london-centric view od BB relevant in this thread.

why, as 1) he doesn't know what he's talking about and b) doesn't like it (whatever 'it' is)?

in the UK it was underground for quite a while- things like 'fried funk food' etc were mid-90s.

john eden

male pale and stale
geto.blast said:

Yeah i read your article and pretty much anything you blog.. does your comment mean once you ve called it no one else can write about it?

please explain?

Well obviously people can write whatever they like, but I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that Big Beat = music for students/jocks/whatever + adverts + celebrity weddings etc was the standard perception.

So whilst a north american perspective might bring a different angle to the discussion I didn't see much of interest in the fact that people in NA look at it the same way as most people in the UK.

Tho actually your comments about "1200 Hobos, dibbs" et al sound interesting because I'd certainly never heard of them.

geto.blast

snap on rims
john eden said:
Tho actually your comments about "1200 Hobos, dibbs" et al sound interesting because I'd certainly never heard of them.

Mr Dibbs , atmosphere etc etc were midwest turntablist kids with strong punk roots who were doing the rock/punk/hiphop juxtaposing thing in the late 90's.

technically not big beat be very damn close at times if you ask me.

geto.blast

snap on rims
bassnation said:
no, but it does mean you could actually bother to address johns points instead of rinsing out your one and only argument until we go nuts. are you hoping that repetition will somehow make it right?

well sorry but i couldn t let you guys gang up on the other aussie dude, he had a valid point but you guys turned it into a homophobia thing.

yeah his Forum Kungfu is weak but that didn t warrant the pile on.

now back to discussing how big beat was sooooo coool but misunderstood..

bassnation

the abyss
geto.blast said:
well sorry but i couldn t let you guys gang up on the other aussie dude, he had a valid point but you guys turned it into a homophobia thing.

if you use language like that on an international forum without making clear that your being sarcastic don't be suprised when people bite. it doesn't take a genius to work out that some terms are more emotionally charged than others.

any other issues you'd like to bring up?

Last edited:

geto.blast

snap on rims
bassnation said:
this is a load of crap.

if you use language like that on an international forum without making clear that your being sarcastic don't be suprised when people bite. it doesn't take a genius to work out that some terms are more emotionally charged than others.

any other issues you'd like to bring up?

yes:

- not everyone s reality is the same.
- i will always be on side with the underdog, no matter what. that s how my moma raised me.
- politically correctness in it s extreme form is no better than racism or homophobia.

i can go on sir but i ve highjacked this thread enough don t you think?

john eden

male pale and stale
geto.blast said:
- politically correctness in it s extreme form is no better than racism or homophobia.

anti-political correctness in it s extreme form is also no better than racism or homophobia.

geto.blast said:
i can go on sir but i ve highjacked this thread enough don t you think?

I don't think that's for me to say really! ;)

Canada J Soup

Monkey Man
Surely big beat lived / lives on in the US as 'breaks'? Although I'm not all that familiar with the output of Crystal Method, DJ Icey, Bassbin Twins, etc...what I have heard seems to use a similar template to the acts that recorded on Skint. Maybe a little more drug- than booze-oriented, but still pretty close. I'm not sure that it was necessarily a case of the sound being imported from the UK post '97 either...a Californian who I knew in Dublin in the mid-90s was playing a lot of fast, 303-laden, breakbeat stuff before anyone was talking about big beat. He'd show up at student parties where the other DJs were doing their best to replicate Billy Nasty's most recent set and nobody seemed to have a clue what the stuff he was playing was.