Best Roots Reggae producers?

Who's your favourite Reggae Roots Reggae producer?

• Total voters

crackerjack

This needs to be some STV or ranking them all in order or something. I just voted for half of them:confused:

You can't get past the brilliance of Scratch, even though he is the 'obvious' choice and i'm glad to see Glen Brown up there, a case of quality over quantity. But where's the love for Niney? The guy produced all of Dennis Brown's best records by miles and his early stuff is stark and weird and quite unlike anyone else, plus he threatened to sue Blood & Fire records for borrowing the name of one of his tracks - he claimed to have had express permission from the Sally Army to use it himself - which is endearingly batty.

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
I'd say my personal favourite was Lloyd Barnes, seeing as how without him basic Channel would never have sounded the same, from what I gather...

Wackies tracks are DEEP...

I'm glad someone brought that up. It's weird how in the last 5 years there's this entirely new sub-set of reggae fans who got into it through Basic Channel.

It befuddles me.

crackerjack

I'm glad someone brought that up. It's weird how in the last 5 years there's this entirely new sub-set of reggae fans who got into it through Basic Channel.

It befuddles me.

I've never really got into him. There's a kinda stillness about it that I can appreciate, but it doesn't really move me, probably the same thing that makes him such a star for the people who love him.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
In what sense (re the befuddlement)?

(personally, I got into roots through those £5 reissues on Island (?) of Steel Pulse, Burning Spear, Sly & Robbie etc...the Wackies thing came later)

Edit: Lee Perry is still probably my favourite producer, but I guess it almost seems redundant to say that since his genius is so obvious/well-recognised

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
In what sense?

(personally, I got into roots through those £5 reissues on Island (?) of Steel Pulse, Burning Spear, Sly & Robbie etc...the Wackies thing came later)

Edit: Lee Perry is still probably my favourite producer, but I guess it almost seems redundant to say that since his genius is so obvious/well-recognised

It befuddles me because some people (not you) seem really keen to jump in and recommend his stuff to dubstep or techno people, but I don't think it is particularly different (or better) than JA productions.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
ah sure, i see. To me there's something dark about it i respond to, in the same way as two of my other favourites, Yabby You and Keith Hudson.

sufi

lala
erm ... plugging plugging:

steve has just upped some nice upsetter deejay stuff over here, if anyone fancy to re-evaluate their responses on this vexing question (if roots is even still trendy enough anyhow! :eek:)
plug done. as you were

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
It befuddles me because some people (not you) seem really keen to jump in and recommend his stuff to dubstep or techno people, but I don't think it is particularly different (or better) than JA productions.

It seems different to me, there's a lot of distortion to it which I don't really see in most JA stuff, though it's not really what draws me to it. There's a lot of quality tunes on Wackies: "Movie Show", "This World", "Mystic Revelation" (sounds like a lost Perry production) and a few more that are just as good as anything to ever come out of Jamaica.

Lethem

Interloper out 1st of Oct
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Don Carlos is my fav roots reggae producer