Nuclear strike against Iran due end of March

craner

Beast of Burden
[BTW, I don't hold much faith in your research abilities, unable to source Craner's political affiliation. Interesting how he neither confirmed nor denied such affiliation (very Rumsy), while you tried to downplay it ...].

Lol. This forum was seriously bonkers back in the day.

trza

Iran is one of the most peaceful places in the Middle East today. Fewest terror attacks in the region.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Iran is one of the most peaceful places in the Middle East today. Fewest terror attacks in the region.

Looking back, I'm rather puzzled by Craner's description of Iran as "running global terrorism". Even if we look only at Islamist terror, isn't about 97% of it Salafist/Wahhabist, i.e. fundamentalist Sunni, and not Shia as it would be coming from Iran?

Or have things changed that much in nine years?

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
In those days, and I wouldn't be surprised if this is still the case, the Iranians were quite happy to fund Sunni groups, and those Sunni groups were quite happy to take the money. The 'Sunnis don't work with Shia' cannard was a major fallacy of the period, particularly beloved of liberal intelligence analysts. Iran was the biggest state sponsor of terrorist groups in the world in 2006, or whenever this thread was started.

trza

Inside Iran is peaceful, even though half the people aren't Persian even by generous accounting.

droid

"The unlawful use of force and violence against persons or property to intimidate or coerce a government, the civilian population, or any segment thereof, in furtherance of political or social objectives"

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Inside Iran is peaceful, even though half the people aren't Persian even by generous accounting.

Well that's hardly surprising, it's got a highly developed secret police and thuggish goons everywhere to enforce the will of the government. There was widespread unrest following the farcical 'election' in 2009, if you remember, which resulted in brutal repression and the deaths of not a few protesters along with god knows how many arrests, extrajudicial imprisonments and instances of torture and rape.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
In those days, and I wouldn't be surprised if this is still the case, the Iranians were quite happy to fund Sunni groups, and those Sunni groups were quite happy to take the money. The 'Sunnis don't work with Shia' cannard was a major fallacy of the period, particularly beloved of liberal intelligence analysts. Iran was the biggest state sponsor of terrorist groups in the world in 2006, or whenever this thread was started.

Are you seriously telling me the Iranian state is funding, arming or otherwise assisting Sunni militants who regard all Shi'ites as the very worst sort of kaffir and would dearly love to overthrow the current Iranian regime?

sadmanbarty

Are you seriously telling me the Iranian state is funding, arming or otherwise assisting Sunni militants who regard all Shi'ites as the very worst sort of kaffir and would dearly love to overthrow the current Iranian regime?

They definitely funded Hamas (though relations stifled when they took opposite sides in Syrian civil war) and still fund Islamic Jihad, both Sunni groups.

There's evidence to suggest that anti-Shia groups like Al Qaeda have collaborated with Iran/Hezbollah/Syria.

craner

Beast of Burden
Yes, Mr Tea, I am saying exactly that. And I'm saying it very seriously. They have enemies other than each other, like Americans, Russians and Jews, and have worked together to fight them and still do. Iran, alongside Pakistan, was a key trainer and sponsor of the Taliban in the 1990s, for example. The transnational jihadis were willing to work with Americans to defeat the Soviets, but also had their eyes on the next fight against the "weaker" US (to paraphrase bin Laden himself). We aSre not the only purveyors of "my enemies' enemy" - I think you might be getting mixed up on this by the current Iranian fight against IS.

craner

Beast of Burden
Droid, I suspect, doesn't even believe there are state sponsors of Islamist terrorism, unless the Saudis are behind it, in which case it is America's fault and has nothing to do with the Palestinian Resistance which is pure at source.

craner

Beast of Burden
Why? Everybody knows exactly which groups we are talking about, and you are putting up a spurious and false diversion. I know you go in for creative accounting, because you seem to believe that only 2% of terrorist activity on European soil in the last ten years was linked to Islamists.

Let's cut to the chase then: do you consider Hamas to be a terrorist organisation?

droid

Why? and you are putting up a spurious and false diversion. I know you go in for creative accounting, because you seem to believe that only 2% of terrorist activity on European soil in the last ten years was linked to Islamists.

Erm, no, thats not my opinion. Thats the opinion of Europol. Take it up with them.

Everybody knows exactly which groups we are talking about.

Yes, terrorism is committed by the 'groups we are talking about, and the 'groups we are talking about' are terrorists.

So, once again - define terrorism.

craner

Beast of Burden
But I'm happy to go with the definition you posted, I am questioning the way you are using it - with unsaid insinuation and subtext. So let's go to the details.

craner

Beast of Burden
Case study # 1: Hamas

Case study # 2: Contras

Case study # 3: MEK

Case study # 4: Kurdish Peshmerga

Let's do it.