Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
yes, but the author of the Audubon mushroom field guide tells an excellent story about a mushroom trip. Gary Lincoff is a unique fellow - it isn't in the documentary but he commented elsewhere about the common names of mushrooms - apparently the publisher insisted that the guide list common names alongside scientific names. Since most mushrooms do not have common names, he pretty much sat at the pub and made them up.

That's a great story. Perhaps it would explain the 'man on horseback', the 'bleeding fairy helmet' (no I'm not making these up), 'slippery jack' etc. etc. etc.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Furious7. The ending is really, really weird. It stops pretending to be a really successful film franchise and steps into real life, it even acknowledges real life. Obviously, this can only, in Hollywood be done via death and for profit but even so, I don't think I've ever seen a dumb action film acknowledge real life before. It was slightly vertiginous, like that bit in Bewitched when Tabitha makes her kids books come to life.

rubberdingyrapids

mommy - never seen xavier dolans films before, but this was brilliant. a bit like harmony korine, but a million times better - i.e. never felt he was trying too hard and it feels a lot more sincere, not exploitative. it was just a really funny melodramatic slightly fucked up look at a mother and son relationship that had this real power to it that i was not expecting (was thinking it would be dully observational and distant arthouse). lots of great catty dialogue and the guy playing the son has to win something. but it basically makes every other film ive seen recently look shit. well except wild tales.

wild tales - i wanted to clap at the end of this but didnt leave me thinking about it like mommy did. but still, pretty cathartic set of short films of characters getting righteous revenge on all sorts. the one about the parking ticket was especially good. why does no one in britain do films like this? or are they only on the occasional tv drama (which i dont tend to watch)?

i saw catch me daddy which i half recommend cos its good like these two films at doing raw, gut-level, visceral stuff, but i found its arthousey moments half interesting half derivative and also just judgemental ('oooh look how dour it is up north' - well thats an original perspective isnt it?). also found myself irritated by its tunnel vision approach to the subject. also found its racial representation kind of problematic.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
The Babadook - a great psychological horror, the atmosphere of which reminded me of nothing more than forgotten 80s Brit flick Dream Demon. Very clever and very affecting.

I wouldn't unreservedly recommend it - there's not yet a thread for 'Films you've seen recently and were rather better than you'd have expected'- but for someone who hates most Tim Burton films (bar Batman, obvs), Big Eyes was surprisingly engaging. Bit too trite at the end, mind.

Last edited:

droid

This is outstanding:

19MRTURNER-articleLarge.jpg

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

droid

Love a good biopic. I'll read almost any biography too. Curious to see the Miles Davis one if/when it ever gets made as that must rank amongst the top three music bios of all time.

luka

I spotted him tweeting to hiphop writer angus batey
He said it's gunna feature electric era miles heavily dark magus all that gear

craner

Beast of Burden
Francesco Rosi Hands Over the City

A magnificent, stately, pitch-black, multi-layered portrayal of real estate speculation and concrete politics in 1960s Italy.

bruno

est malade
Francesco Rosi Hands Over the City

A magnificent, stately, pitch-black, multi-layered portrayal of real estate speculation and concrete politics in 1960s Italy.
i'm sure you've seen it, but i recommend elio petri's investigation of a citizen above suspicion for a surreal take on politics/corruption (with gian maria volonté and florinda bolkan, which is why i think you may have seen it).

a more sombre film is yves boisset's l'attentat, also with volonté and based on the ben barka affair. it's flawed but very stark and actual and worth the effort although depressing/hopeless.

both films have terrific morricone scores.

i will heed your tip forthwith.