baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Kumiko, the Treasure Hunter - pretty extraordinary, and the one-star review from the Guardian's resident idiot reviewer Peter Bradshaw testifies to that. An amazing study of loneliness, and for me, light years beyond the Coen Brothers (whose Fargo forms a vital strand of the narrative, and therefore to whom the film was inevitably compared).

But...not sure how I feel about the inspiration the film took from a real life case (which I only found out about after watching): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takako_Konishi_(office_worker)

droid

Anyone who hasnt seen Ponyo needs to sort it out.

giphy.gif

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
David Mamet sucks balls.

Why do you say that? He sucks balls, why do you say that? Why do you say he sucks balls.

Because the hyper-stylisation and repetition has ruined American drama, because, because, and I'll tell you why, LET ME TELL YOU WHY, I'll tell you why, it's because the style is awful.

There. I said it. You heard me say it, didn't you? Didn't you hear me say it?

(Yes)

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
David Mamet sucks balls.

Why do you say that? He sucks balls, why do you say that? Why do you say he sucks balls.

Because the hyper-stylisation and repetition has ruined American drama, because, because, and I'll tell you why, LET ME TELL YOU WHY, I'll tell you why, it's because the style is awful.

There. I said it. You heard me say it, didn't you? Didn't you hear me say it?

(Yes)

don't know his other work that's been transformed into film, but GGR is great! hyper-stylised true, but for some reason doesn't annoy me as it might in other circumstances

griftert

Hmm yeah it really is definitely verging on overcooked. I guess that's part of the reason I like it, though the style would definitely grate in other contexts. I haven't seen any of his other work so maybe I'm just seeing it through a very warped lens.

mistersloane

Hmm yeah it really is definitely verging on overcooked. I guess that's part of the reason I like it, though the style would definitely grate in other contexts. I haven't seen any of his other work so maybe I'm just seeing it through a very warped lens.

It's a good one to see first, check out House of Games. I watched The Gambler by Mark Wahlberg recently and they slip into Mamet-speak about 1/4 way in to what had previously been a potentially good remake of a good film, so it's fresh in my mind. Mamet-speak is something we often do in our house. We often do it, why do we often do it, we often do it because it's easy to do, and entertaining. Yes. Entertaining. I said it. But it does my head in on film now.

mistersloane

the worst film-based-on-a-play of that type has to be Carnage. Staggeringly bad.

Haha I'd totally forgot about that one. I think it was meant to be funny though, wasn't it? Actually, don't answer that, it was so fucking bad that I can't go further than that!

rubberdingyrapids

a lot of plays made into films always seem underdeveloped/written. i dont mind that they take place in a limited environment, but i hate when plays end abruptly.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Carnage - don't think Polanski does 'funny' often, does he? I've wiped from my consciousness just why it was so terrible, but Jodie Foster's presence explains a lot. Her post-1991 CV plumbs the depths. Panic Room might be close to being the worst film ever made. I was really hoping they'd get killed.

As to plays, apart from Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf (and Glengarry), I can't think of many that have really worked as films. Original film scripts taking place in a limited environment tend to work much better, sure there are some really good examples I can't think of right now.

Last edited:

CrowleyHead

My father has one of those 60 fps TVs, the newest flatscreen? The way it alters film and digital image it really kills lighting and whatever, so the result is everything ends up looking like Community Theater.

I say that because I watched the beginning of the Mamet movie on Phil Spector with Pacino and it was so disorienting because of that quality that the weakness of the dialog already there (if Mamet wrote that) was accentuated by how unglamorous everything looked and how absurd Pacino's performance was. Couldn't make it further than 40 minutes.