tox

Factory Girl
hot fuzz was a great disappointment- a dozen good jokes, overly long and mr pegg et al's chance to play with guns over viewer enjoyment.

a shame.

It did fall apart a little right at the end, but I was laughing until the overly long ending sequence. The end was also edited so badly you could hardly tell what was going on half the time.

The thing that impressed me most were the high production values. It's a film that could stand next to something like Taxi in terms of a non-American blockbuster style movie.

I did find the film very funny - but then I'll laugh at just about anything, so that's not much praise.

craner

Beast of Burden
I can't stand Bertolucci. I enjoy being rude about him. The Dreamers was great, because it was so easy to be rude about. That film was comical.

But The Conformist just floored me. I think a large chunk of the film's beauty is entirely due to cinematographer Vittorio Storaro, who is a genius, and I know exactly why Bertolucci stuck to him. But then I would have to feel the same about, say, Last Tango in Paris.

So I admit that Betolucci wrote and made an incredible, ravishing, disturbing movie that made my pulse move about 1000 bpm. (And this wasn't just because of Dominique Sanda.)

At least until the last 5 minutes which almost ruined THE WHOLE FUCKING THING. God, what a terrible ending! It was like someone let the Bertolucci I know back in the room.

craner

Beast of Burden
A lot of people can't get into Inferno and, of course, the second half of the film sort of falls apart, or driftts nowhere. But I actually like that.

It's barely a film; it's a fever dream.

tht

akstavrh
the conformist i would like to see, i got the xvid but haven't got around to it

also out in xvid this week 'the tarnished angels' (sirk) and 'performance' (cammell/roeg)

the latter is really something else

P

Parson

tarnished angels is good although its hard to take rock hudson seriously cuz he's such a weirdo

my favorite sirk is imitation of life

i don't think i have heard of performance. i do like roeg though

mms

sometimes
Suspiria - I owe that film a whole world of love & gratitude. It's a door into a new universe, my friend...

And may I humbly suggest you watch Profundo Russo and Inferno, as they are, if you can believe this, superior films.

yes i'd agree inferno is actually better.
but the sound track emerson lake and palmer compared to good old goblin...
the real soundtrack dude is fabio fritzzi - absolutley rock bottom bargain basement ennio morricone on cheap late 70's keyboard, fantastic!

performance is an amazing film, cammel was an interesting guy, a slick mover in the 60's cool class, an occult practicioner, who's father was a friend of crowleys, donald cammel was actually crowley's godson. He moved aggressivley and selfishly between the light and darksides of london's fashionable elite, gangsters and rockstars and filmakers. James Fox became a born again Christian after the film, just as altamont hit, and flower power died off.

the best film ive seen lately is the fantastic korean horror as political satire - the host.

Last edited:

shudder

Just saw Robert Altman's Short Cuts. First Altman flick I've seen, and I really enjoyed it. It's based on a series of short stories by Raymond Carver, and basically follows the lives of 22 (!) characters over three days, where a bunch of stuff happens to them all, sometimes big huge things, sometimes not. Really great acting and mood throughout.

Jim Daze

Have you seen 'The Fifth Cord' with Franco Nero starring and top notch Morriconne bizniz, my fave gialli so far

also 'Possession' was good, set in Berlin in early eighties stars Sam Neil, must be cult so bad it's good type of thing.......

crackerjack

Just saw Robert Altman's Short Cuts. First Altman flick I've seen, and I really enjoyed it. It's based on a series of short stories by Raymond Carver, and basically follows the lives of 22 (!) characters over three days, where a bunch of stuff happens to them all, sometimes big huge things, sometimes not. Really great acting and mood throughout.

First Altman movie you've seen? Wow. Either you're a babe in arms or not that arsed about fillums (or maybe it's just that TV rarely shows good ones anymore). Short Cuts is ace, as is its immediate predecessor The Player. You might also venture backwards and watch MASH, The Long Goodbye, McCabe & Mrs Miller and The Wedding. Oh, and Nashville is meant to be the bollocks, but I've never seen it.

craner

Beast of Burden
Fifth Cord gets its 15th mention on the thread!

I'm really, really delighted about that, actually.

Jim, watch Fulci's One on Top of the Other, you'll LOVE it. You've even got the soundtrack to it, but I don't think you know that.

ripley

First Altman movie you've seen? Wow. Either you're a babe in arms or not that arsed about fillums (or maybe it's just that TV rarely shows good ones anymore). Short Cuts is ace, as is its immediate predecessor The Player. You might also venture backwards and watch MASH, The Long Goodbye, McCabe & Mrs Miller and The Wedding. Oh, and Nashville is meant to be the bollocks, but I've never seen it.

Oh man, when I lived in London in 1999 the NFT had an Altman series.. I must have watched about 11 of his movies. The first three you listed are incredible, and Nashville is fucking amazing (although be prepared for a long haul).

My favorite to watch more than once is Kansas City - some of the best jazz (and best use of jazz) in a movie, and some of the best American history - in the sense of really representing an era, not didactically but through the construction of the plot.

One of my more obscure favorites is California Split - I don't even know if that's out on video but see if it you can.

I think his movies are the embodiment of certain kinds of American-ness - I can't really explain it but I think his best films represent quintessential aspects of American culture

that may be why so many of them are really depressing

mms

sometimes
saw jodorowsy's the holy mountain. Great i loved it, amazing imagery and lots of fun, really beautiful in places and visceral in others.

craner

Beast of Burden
legendary_weapons_of_china_.jpg

Legendary Weapons of China.

It was bonkers.