mms

sometimes
did anyone see that new movie about skinheads called... england something.

yes i have seen it and it's very good.
a very strong film, the young kind is great as is the baddie of the piece, its a very generous piece of writing too, everyone has their humanity in it.

nomos

Administrator
legendary_weapons_of_china_.jpg

Legendary Weapons of China.

It was bonkers.

I just bought a stack of Shaw Bros. kung fu DVDs while in Toronto - 5 Deadly Venoms, Buddha's Palm, Return to the 36th Chamber and so on. Will report back my favourites.

Freakaholic

not just an addiction
h.idiocracy.110105.jpg

The new Mike Judge (Beavis and Butthead, Office Space) comedy.

Luke Wilson and Maya Rudolph wake up in 500 years time following a botched army experiment where, due to a slightly dodgy social-Darwinist premise (something to do with trailer trash breeding like rabbits) everyone is an idiot and the averagely-IQed Wilson is the smartest man in the world. Lots of funny individual scenes, even if the plot wasn't paced quite right. I liked it, anyway.

Funniest.

Movie.

Ever.

craner

Beast of Burden
heroicgrace1-lrg.jpg

Another Shaw Brothers gem from the NFT's magnificent Chinese Martial Arts season: Magic Blade.

This was also bonkers, but with a good story line and morally edifying meditations on POWER, SEX and CORRUPTION. Lashings of Leone echoes which made me very happy. It also starred the ravishing Li Ching, although she doesn't get to do any of her super nifty swordplay like she does in Wu Tang and Shaolin which is a shame.

Last edited:

Octopus?

Not esoteric at all, but I just finished Three Days Of The Condor and was absolutely blown away. I'm mid-way through The Conversation by Francis Ford Coppola right now, and am similarly impressed. And now thoroughly paranoid.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Dead Babies

Unreservedly recommend would be too strong but yesterday I watched Dead Babies the adaptation of the Martin Amis book and I have to say that I enjoyed it. It was flashy, shallow and silly so they did a pretty good job of getting the spirit of the book across in the film. Something as dumb as this though works a lot better as a film (for my money) and it was a fairly enjoyable hour and a half. Loads of stupid drugs, hammy (and plummy) acting and a completely ridiculous semi-plot meant that there was always something happening and so if anyone wants some entertainment that's none to heavy on the brain it's worth checking out.
It was also quite enjoyable watching the extra "featurette" as the actors and director made wild claims about how it would shock people (perhaps if my gran watched it) and how there would be a stampede to the cinema to watch it (not quite as far as I remember).

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
Not esoteric at all, but I just finished Three Days Of The Condor and was absolutely blown away. I'm mid-way through The Conversation by Francis Ford Coppola right now, and am similarly impressed. And now thoroughly paranoid.

hehe, that's funny. About a year ago I rented those two together as well as "The Parallax View" for a paranoid 70's theme. "The Conversation" was kinda over my head, but for some reason it can't stop thinking about it. I think it's really a horror movie. Wasn't that impressed with TDOTC, was a little cheesy, I prefered "Parallax View".

Octopus?

hehe, that's funny. About a year ago I rented those two together as well as "The Parallax View" for a paranoid 70's theme. "The Conversation" was kinda over my head, but for some reason it can't stop thinking about it. I think it's really a horror movie. Wasn't that impressed with TDOTC, was a little cheesy, I prefered "Parallax View".

The Conversation was horrifying, that final shot just left me, mouth agape, staring at the screen. The whole movie hasn't left me, and Gene Hackman is truly fantastic. I kind of loved the cheesiness of TDOTC, more of its time than anything else. I think the concept and Redford/Dunaway worked exceedingly well together. Ordered "Parallax View" yesterday!

m77

m77
Not recently

but my one of my all time favourites is Harold And Maude...Wes Anderson's largest influence

bun-u

Trumpet Police
I'd echo Zidane - though you need to see it in the cinema

Red Road I saw on DVD recently - and its excellent.

This is England is poor

mos dan

fact music
me_and_you_poster_gal.jpg

really really really very lovely. impossible to recommend without resorting to cliches really. that wes anderson/rushmore offbeat-but-heartwarming-indie-flick style is definitely a genre in itself these days, it needs a name!

as an aside, why is film so rubbish at constantly inventing new genre-names compared to music?

crackerjack

I'd echo Zidane - though you need to see it in the cinema

Red Road I saw on DVD recently - and its excellent.

This is England is poor

That's going a bit far. Not a patch on Dead Man's Shoes, granted, and possibly the subject of too much hype, but still money well spent I thought.

Agree about Red Road though.