run_time

Gomorrah - shows a less than pleasant v urban side to Italy

A Sunday in Hell - definitive cycling film imho before the days of sports coverage on steroids

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Saw Vertigo last night. I don't suppose there's anything original to say about how great it is, but its great, it is.

I also saw Timecop the other night but I wouldn't recommend that unless you like laughing at how shit something is.

crackerjack

Seen lots of good movies lately.

Baader Meinhof Complex - politically debatable, cinematically wonderful.

Kiss Before Dying - obscure 50s noir, marred by rubbish final 15mins.

Night of the Generals - Peter O'Toole as madly fucked up alcoholic stiff-necked Nazi general with a secret Ripper side. (Omar Sharif, improbably, as the German officer who tracks him down).

Magnolia - first time I've seen it properly. Doesn't belong in this list - the second half is screamingly dull until the frogs start falling.

straight

wings cru
caught wanted the other night and its one of the most convoluted, pointless films ive seen in a long time. Its set somewhere between fight club and the matrix with psychic weaver assasin codebreakers with (unexplained) superpowers and exploding vermin. and pretty none of whats going on is really explained. Some pretty mind bending action bits though which make it almost warchable. I actually reccomend seeing it as you rarely get to see such a spectacular mess on such a grand scale

Also watched burn after reading a second time and enjoyed it much more even if it is another identikit coen brother ransom caper. Worth it for the way malkovitch keeps saying 'memoir'

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
Night of the Generals - Peter O'Toole as madly fucked up alcoholic stiff-necked Nazi general with a secret Ripper side. (Omar Sharif, improbably, as the German officer who tracks him down).

That sounds amazing!

josef k.

Dangerous Mystagogue
I saw the film "Primer" recently, and I would universally recommend it... very strange and unusual tale of power and science, shot for 7,000 dollars, and definitely makes the most of it. Extremely unique and somewhat confusing structure... one for the engineers especially.

crackerjack

That sounds amazing!

Oh yes, a rip-roaring war thriller spanning three decades and three capital cities, taking in the von Stauffenberg plot on the way. PO'T is fantastic.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Baader Meinhof Complex - politically debatable, cinematically wonderful.

I saw an advert for this film today - the strapline is something about "the most notorious terrorist group of our times". O RLY? Are they more notorious than Osama and Co.? Or those Shining Path gentlemen? Or even our own dear IRA?

Kinda reminds me of that WWII flick that came out a few years ago, where the poster advertising it said "In war, the most powerful weapon is seduction". Shows what I know about war, I'd have assumed the most powerful weapon was BIG FUCKING BOMBS, followed by BIG FUCKING GUNS.

crackerjack

I saw an advert for this film today - the strapline is something about "the most notorious terrorist group of our times". O RLY? Are they more notorious than Osama and Co.? Or those Shining Path gentlemen? Or even our own dear IRA?

If 'our times' is taken to mean the period when the film is set, then you could certainly make a case for that. Unlike the IRA/ETA/PLO which grew out of longstanding (or new, but dramatic) nationalist issues, the Baader-Meinhof's terrorism was borne of rather vague, abstract ideals. they didn't like the war in Vietnam (which Germany wasn't involved in), they didn't like the Israeli 6 day war land-grab (which Germany wasn't involved in), and they didn't like capitalism in general, or the feeling that their parents' generation should feel a lot more conspicuous guilt for Nazism than they evinced. Rebels without a cause, but with guns and bombs.

jambo

slip inside my schlafsack
Yeah I thought it was good. Impressively ambivalent in the depiction of events I thought, although you can probably tell where the film makers sympathies ultimately lie.

Did seem like some useful bits might have been cut here and there though, it's quote long anyway but a few scenes don't quite tie up. The bits in Sweden when they are becoming suspicious of each other, and especially Ulrike, I wasn't sure if that was supposed to be so paranoid and confusing or if that was the edit. Works well though.

The old intel dude reminded me a of one of those professors from a 70s horror film who understands more than everyone else about what's going on and expounds slowly and at length about his theories. Good period device ;)

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
If 'our times' is taken to mean the period when the film is set, then you could certainly make a case for that. Unlike the IRA/ETA/PLO which grew out of longstanding (or new, but dramatic) nationalist issues, the Baader-Meinhof's terrorism was borne of rather vague, abstract ideals. they didn't like the war in Vietnam (which Germany wasn't involved in), they didn't like the Israeli 6 day war land-grab (which Germany wasn't involved in), and they didn't like capitalism in general, or the feeling that their parents' generation should feel a lot more conspicuous guilt for Nazism than they evinced. Rebels without a cause, but with guns and bombs.

Sure, I appreciate all that, but does that make them 'notorious'? Hmm, maybe it does.

jambo

slip inside my schlafsack
In Germany I guess. Maybe they just straight translated the tag line?

It's a very impressive film thinking about it. The style reminded me of the first Godfather in some weird way, probably something to do with the international location cuts and the following of a series of 'generations'.

Lots of the news footage that is recreated in the film can be seen on YouTube.