vimothy

yurp
Nah, I liked it. Thought the "all-too-human" demons were a nice touch (especially the German gas cloud, he was well cool). Good Sunday afternoon telly -- like an up-to-date Labyrinth or somat. Didn't read the comic though.

Amplesamples

Just got a dvd of a French horror film called Frontiers. It was absolutely rubbish - rip off of Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Hostel (which was also crap, but the idea was pretty cool - murder as the ultimate end of capitalism).

Has anyone seen any decent horror films recently? I'm not bothered about seeing any J-Horror films because all of them always have reviews saying "This is the scariest thing ever!" from apparently reputable sources, then it's always a bloody 12 year old girl with greasy hair coming out of the telly, or the phone or the oven or something.

But anyway, Frontiers was awful - and the main character did this ridiculous tottering walk throughout the last 30 mins or so of the movie to show that she was in shock, but as someone on the IMBD board noted, she moved like a 'blind blues musician'.

Anyone else seen this film? Or even better, a proper decent horror film?

nochexxx

harco pronting
i went to Funspot (the place where they have the video game chanpionships every year, where Billy Mitchell sends the videotape up) twice last summer...

for 10 bucks you can play for hours... so, yeah, i played THE donkey kong machine...

jesus! really? fuck life! nice one. out of curiosity do they single out that machine as being the one that steve webe played?

and was that dweebe (the guy who was incommunicado with billy) there? you know the guy who was clearly unhappy about the honourable mr webe getting on a kill screen. :(

petergunn

plywood violin
jesus! really? fuck life! nice one. out of curiosity do they single out that machine as being the one that steve webe played?

and was that dweebe (the guy who was incommunicado with billy) there? you know the guy who was clearly unhappy about the honourable mr webe getting on a kill screen. :(

yeah, it's like an hour and half drive from my parent's house in Boston... a real fun time, for 20 bucks me and my girl will play for like 5 hours and still have tokens left over... plus, it's 5 minutes from Lake Winepasaukee, where Sarkozy vacations! (tho admitedly, he's on the OTHER side of the lake, the blueblood side, not the biker weekend/soft serve ice cream and fried dough on the boardwalk side...)

http://www.funspotnh.com/

IIRC correct there is a small plaque on the DK machine that mention's the game's history and then another one that mentions the movie and the records...

but, funny you mention "the-guy-who-dropped-a-dime-to-billy-mitchell", b/c yeah, he is the guy who RETIRED at like 30 and sold his house and moved to NH to live next to funspot...

now, this is funny, b/c alot of the area that's say a 10-30 minute drive from Funspot is NH redneck, so you could probably buy a house for like 150 grand, so in my mind i picture him retiring with like 200 grand and buying a house and budgeting himself like 5 dollars of quarters a day and just stocking his house with kraft macaroni and cheese and hungry man TV dinners...

BUT, yeah, right when i was getting my tokens someone asked the girl there about the movie and she was like "yeah, Brian blahblah from the movie, he comes ever day" and i got kinda giddy hoping i'd find him, but both times i did not see him, tho he has like 7 plaques there for records:
walloffame.jpg

but they are all for superlame games like Zaxxon 2 or Pole Position 3... like he picks the most obscure games in the entire place b/c he probably figures there's no competition...

more info here:
http://www.classicarcademuseum.org/index.html

the pinball is my favorite, impossible to find good bars w/ pinball these days...

museum4.jpg

nochexxx

harco pronting
thanks for the great pictures! i really would like to go now.

re- brian zaxxon 2

i can definitely see him eating 'hungry man dinners' as well as maintaining his general shape shifting lifestyle.

don_quixote

Trent End
not exactly a post directly relevant to the thread, but watched la pianiste today. woop woop. isabelle huppert is so unbelievably pretty + stylish.

nochexxx

harco pronting
the wrestler by darren aronofsky exceeded all expectations. awesome film. mickey rourke playing a part of himself pretty much.

crackerjack

the wrestler by darren aronofsky exceeded all expectations. awesome film. mickey rourke playing a part of himself pretty much.

Heard nothing but good things about this.

Watched Gilda yesterday. Not one of the greatest noirs, but Rita Hayworth is beautifully over the top and I loved the way it subverted noir convention (she done it!) by making her a sweet innocent at the end, when the whole film is premised on her being an evil siren.

crackerjack

"Tell No One".

Twisty turney and French with subtitles and 2 hours long. But brilliant.

Agreed.

Frost/Nixon - tbh, it could've been better. I'm not sure it really nailed the times the way it might have done. But the interplay between the two is fabulous. Sheen is excellent (I still think of him as Blair, but then there might be some similarities between 'the deal'-era Blair and Frost anyway) and Langella deserves his Oscar nom, even if he loses out to Rourke.

The real star of the show, though, is Nixon himself - he's such a fucking fascinating character you only have to get him half-right to make a great film about him.

Seyfried

En La Ciudad De Sylvia - fantastic POV, resplendently romantic, mysterious
The Long Goodbye - see above, a remarkable (re: quintessential) 70s anti-Hollywood flick, iconic performance by Elliot Gould, hilarious (over)use of music

craner

Beast of Burden
Aldo Lado's Night Train Murders. Or maybe I wouldn't.

This film left me speechless. Quite amazed and appalled.

Marcha Meril, the blind psychic who gets hacked and pushed through a window in Profondo Rosso puts in an mesmerising and unsettling performance here. You will not forget it in a hurry.

Grim, grim stuff.