run_time

Caught King of Kong over the w/end. Interesting documentary looking at competitive gaming with one of the characters being a dead ringer for Nick Cave

nochexxx

harco pronting
classic, always meant to sample the line: "I suggest that you reach deep down inside yourself there and try and find something that'll keep you awake just a little while longer because this transmission coming up may just rekindle your will to live."

:)

nice to hear it being seconded.

i liked the films prophetic nature and would love to see it screened as a double billing next to dark star.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
have to second Run_Time and Sloane on Mad Dog

astonishing

Ollie: not sure, guess i'll see. you? wouldn't mind seeing UP.

craner

Beast of Burden
Oh. I hoped my contributions were disproportionately swaying the character of the thread. Right! SS Girls, then...

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Watched 'The White Ribbon' last night, as haunting as every other Haneke film I've seen. The only bum note was when the doctor was telling his midwife mistress how disgusting he found her and so on, felt a bit forced and out of place in amongst the (extremely stylised and heightened) realism of the rest of it. I keep remembering the retarded child grabbing for the doctor's arm. I need to see it again, as with his other films it seems at times that it is all about what lies on the surface of the film and at others about what is left unexplained/expressed.

lanugo

von Verfall erzittern
has anyone seen that Japanese whale slaughter doc The Cove?

I've seen it, certainly a touching, compelling and thought-provoking documentary. The parts which explore the self-consciousness of dolphins are just incredible, especially the one scene where former dolphin trainer, now activist Richard O'Barry describes how one of the "Flipper" porpoises literally commited suicide in his arms (apparently, for dolphins, every breath of air is a willful act and this particular dolphin was so stressed out that it deliberately chose to no longer draw breath). Also, what the film has to say about oceanic pollution and the alarming toxicity of fish meat is just horrifying. When, at the end, the actual footage of the slaughtering was shown, I had tears in my eyes and couldn't help but think that humanity is a fucking disgrace.

nochexxx

harco pronting
anyone here seen Ex-Drummer?

review_ex-drummer.jpg

strangely compelling black comedy, following a band of 'handicapped' low-life's and their newly found drummer ( a successful writer who's only handicap is that he can't play the drums :)). funny film IMO with lots of metaphorical signification? . signifying what exactly? i am not sure?!

nochexxx

harco pronting
*punches the air after finally figuring out the name of this film*

i've been wanting to find out the name of this film for years and yesterday once again i stumble across it by accident.

BAD BOY BUBBY tells the story of a man held in captivity for three decades by his abusive mother, he evenutally escapes and manages to find his real self. must see!

BadBoyBubby.jpg

bad-boy-bubby-00-800-75.jpg

showimage.php

grizzleb

I've seen it, certainly a touching, compelling and thought-provoking documentary. The parts which explore the self-consciousness of dolphins are just incredible, especially the one scene where former dolphin trainer, now activist Richard O'Barry describes how one of the "Flipper" porpoises literally commited suicide in his arms (apparently, for dolphins, every breath of air is a willful act and this particular dolphin was so stressed out that it deliberately chose to no longer draw breath). Also, what the film has to say about oceanic pollution and the alarming toxicity of fish meat is just horrifying. When, at the end, the actual footage of the slaughtering was shown, I had tears in my eyes and couldn't help but think that humanity is a fucking disgrace.
Do you know where to find a copy of this??

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
*punches the air after finally figuring out the name of this film*

i've been wanting to find out the name of this film for years and yesterday once again i stumble across it by accident.

Another film that was on C4 back in the glory days. Was screened as part of an 'extreme' season that also featured 'Clean, Shaven' by Lodge Kerrigan - a must-see.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
strangely compelling black comedy, following a band of 'handicapped' low-life's and their newly found drummer ( a successful writer who's only handicap is that he can't play the drums :)). funny film IMO with lots of metaphorical signification? . signifying what exactly? i am not sure?!

Reminds me of a real-life punk band I read about whose singer has Down's syndrome. They're actually meant to be pretty good. Anyone heard of them? No idea what they're called, sadly.

nochexxx

harco pronting
Reminds me of a real-life punk band I read about whose singer has Down's syndrome. They're actually meant to be pretty good. Anyone heard of them? No idea what they're called, sadly.

not punk per se, but Reynolds has a lead front man with down syndrome. they did some excellent stuff, i like blank tapes for example.

incidentally Bad Boy Bubby touches on this, f-ing genius.

Last edited:

stephenk

yeah that all really contributes to how much of a daydream the whole thing is
there's various bits of menace from the obnoxious older lady and the guy being an illegal immigrant with a skin disease, but none of it seems to matter that much

i haven't seen those new ones, definitely need to but i'm mostly watching stuff from torrents lately (out of laziness) and i don't know how soon i'll get a chance

saw syndromes & a century last night, he's 3/3 now, totally brilliant
starts with everyday-life, slow, repetitive ideas, and builds into intense quiet hypnosis; there are goosebump inducing scenes involving a woman failing at chakra, a room filling with smoke, slow dollys around statues... and the final scene is hilarious

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
four years late, but finally saw Hidden/Caché. I so often don't believe critical hype, but it really does make most other films look utterly facile. a rare example of deserved hype, but also horribly ironic/circular in that passively accepting what it has to say is not acceptable, which is what the film is about.

i'm really very impressed (and the topic has been what i've been talking/thinking about all week, the fundaments of prosperity and the lie that surrounds it).

edit: i'm not usually one to speak up for reviews in the guardian either, but just read peter bradshaw's and it squarely and brilliantly nails one particular piece of received cinematic opinion that is utter bullshit (the 'audience is complicit' cliche. in 'hidden', this actually - tho' depending on who/where you are - holds however, as the complicity exists in real life).

just blown away.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I think Bradshaw is fantastic, especially when he's laying into something...

''A loo book written by Pol Pot would have more laughs than this chillingly unfunny, cynically prefabricated non-comedy, a product-placement-fest starring its co-writers, Jon Favreau and Vince Vaughn. Like their film, they look bloated and blank - it's as if some Botox-steroid-mix has been injected into their faces,'' - on Couples Retreat

His reviews of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy are great too http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2003/dec/19/lordoftherings

HouseOfTheDevil.jpg

^ Saw this the other night, a straight-faced, largely unironic homage to 80s horror films (Rosemary's Baby, for example). Essentially the first hour or so is all build-up of suspense, and is extremely effective, and the last half hour is all gore and pentagrams and is disappointingly OTT, but satisfyingly nasty. I wasn't sure if the shite special effects at the end were also meant as an homage to the 80s...