Help: Favela funk?

gejonte

Favela Funk compilation available!

Hello!
I just spent a month in Brazil.Bought a bunch of Funk compliations
(went to one very nice funk party in Rio,not in the favela though)
and I'm putting together a "best of"-28 tracks,75 minutes or so...
Very funky and aggressive,some of it kind of stupid/nice.
I DJ myself(I had one great gig in Sao Paulo),alot of Ragga,grime,Acid,Chicago House and some hip hop.
So this compilation is put together with a dancefloor in mind.
It's all dance music of course (Baille Funk) but some tracks has more of a hook, or groove
than others.Some tracks are there(on my compilation)for their pure insane energy.
It's sometimes VERY raw and simple.A looped drum sample(that refuses to evolve)
and someone just screaming like a madman over it-great stuff!
Some of the tracks are more refined.Using Josh Wink samples to great
effect and actually some build up.They use the basslines in a strange way though...
When the refrain or the hook kicks in they almost always take out the basslines,
which in western ears almost "kills the funk"but it works,but it's different.
The beat structures are also very different,very brazilian.
Prince,Benny Benassi(of "touch me-so I can get my-erection/satisfaction fame),Ennio Morricone samples also get's slaughtered along the way.These people clearly have no respect what so ever for copy wrongs.
I'll send this one to anyone to spread fantastic music that really deserves to be heard.
Anyone that's interested can send me 5$ or euros to cover the CD's,epson print costs and p + p and you get a nice cover with it too.
greetings Jonas

gejonte

to echo-friendly

Hello echo-friendly!
I tried to send you details about
the Rio Funk compilation,but could not get thru...
Please send me an e-mail adress and I'll try again.

Greetings Gejonte

redcrescent

Just got this and thought someone might want to go...

"THUR 18th NOV TETINE CD LAUNCH PARTY @ Guanabara, on Parker Street, Corner of Drury Lane, London WC2B 5PW

We're delighted to invite you to our launch party this Thursday Nov 18th at Guanabara! Slum Dunk, Tetine's weekly radio show on Resonance Fm 104.4, releases its first compilation on Mr Bongo Records. The album is a great Tetine mix of Funk Carioca featuring the amazing Vanessinha e os K-rrascos, Deise Tigrona, Tati Quebra Barraco, Gaiola das Popozudas, Bonde das Bad Girls, Os Salientes, Bonde do Tigrão and much more!

Please join the Slum Dunk radio crew and Mr Bongo Records on the night!"

+ SAT 20 DJ SIMONE + TETINE LIVE
Guanabara presents DJ Simone Serritella (Arision) & DJ Seisho
Plus Tetine LIVE with their unique DJing style and MCing

redcrescent

gejonte said:
Hello!
I just spent a month in Brazil.Bought a bunch of Funk compliations
(went to one very nice funk party in Rio,not in the favela though)
and I'm putting together a "best of"-28 tracks,75 minutes or so...
Very funky and aggressive,some of it kind of stupid/nice.
I DJ myself(I had one great gig in Sao Paulo),alot of Ragga,grime,Acid,Chicago House and some hip hop.
So this compilation is put together with a dancefloor in mind.
It's all dance music of course (Baille Funk) but some tracks has more of a hook, or groove
than others.Some tracks are there(on my compilation)for their pure insane energy.
It's sometimes VERY raw and simple.A looped drum sample(that refuses to evolve)
and someone just screaming like a madman over it-great stuff!
Some of the tracks are more refined.Using Josh Wink samples to great
effect and actually some build up.They use the basslines in a strange way though...
When the refrain or the hook kicks in they almost always take out the basslines,
which in western ears almost "kills the funk"but it works,but it's different.
The beat structures are also very different,very brazilian.
Prince,Benny Benassi(of "touch me-so I can get my-erection/satisfaction fame),Ennio Morricone samples also get's slaughtered along the way.These people clearly have no respect what so ever for copy wrongs.
I'll send this one to anyone to spread fantastic music that really deserves to be heard.
Anyone that's interested can send me 5$ or euros to cover the CD's,epson print costs and p + p and you get a nice cover with it too.
greetings Jonas
Just got this in the mail. Fucking great selection! Nothing better than skipping work on a Monday to let your house bounce to some funky do morro.
Thanks Jonas, much appreciated. Can't wait to hear your East LA hiphop compilation once you've put it together, let us know.

gejonte

The Funk that ate Rio de Janeiro...

Glad you liked it,it is pretty amazing music...
I haven't been this thrilled to hear something new in years.
I thought I was getting old and cynical.

Woebot

picked up the slam dunk "funk carioca" compilation on mr.bongo records. was quite hesitant about this comp, i was SURE it wasn't going to be a scratch on bun-u's compilation of stuff from brazil (sideways note to gejonte, i'd love a copy of that comp of yours, lets swap dude) anyway, i was quite quite wrong ot be hesitant. that's one BRILLIANT comp. a few things struck me right away

• all the male singers sound EXACTLY PRECISELY the same in a quite uncanny fashion. it's not so much that they're aping a particular style, more that only one form of delivery is acceptable and that vocal posture attains the status of "default clone voice". it's bizarrely machinic, weird that this particular voice should be THE ONE selected, almost as if a single demon is using the favela youth as his mouthpiece.

• great samples. i spotted a cut up of eurythmics "sweet dreams" and best of all front 242's "headhunter" in there.

i cant reccomend this comp highly enough.

redcrescent

I'll have to get that comp somewhere along the line, obviously!

In the meantime, those so inclined can...
...see short videos of DJ Marlboro on Brazilian TV here. The video labelled Cidinho e Doca has the two artists performing the funk anthem "C.I.D.A.D.E. D.E. D.E.U.S.".

...catch DJ Marlboro's show on Rio's Radio O Dia 100.5 FM show, Mondays thru Saturdays 4-6PM local (GMT -3). Here, click on "OUÇA AO VIVO" above the logo.

...check out some soundbites of current Big Mix favorites here.

Last edited:

gejonte

Favela Funk 2 on it's way...

My girlfriend went back to Rio and she'll come back Thursday.
She promised to buy as many Funk CD's as she could carry.
So in a couple of weeks I'll put out the part two CD...
Thanks for all the e-mails by the way.Nice that everyone is so enthusiastic.
I am too...
I've been using the first compilation I put out , when I've been DJ ing and it really works.
You have to build it up a bit,and make sure people are drunk enough,but people
have been going crazy.I will be DJing in Amsterdam new years eve.
(not only Funk but alot)
So if anyone is in town let me know...
I'll let you all know when the Favela Funk 2 is ready.
Big Greetings from Amsterdam

gejonte

Favela Funk & Strawberry Carpirinhas in Brazil...

Well I guess you need old Uncle Alcohol sometimes to
open people up.I had just gotten back from Brazil and was totally
enthusiastic about the Funk and I played some Favela Funk to
some sober"Industrial laptop glitch" friends in Iceland (on a small anti-loud ghetto blaster).
Heimir & Helgi of Stilluppsteypa,Bibi of Curver, some people from Reptilicus
(remember them?)Robert of Main (ex.LOOP) was there & Andrew McKenzie (Hafler trio).
They didn't get it at all.They thought it was a joke...
We spent the rest of the night talking about the concrete noise of Public Enemy.
.............................BUT(T).....................
The next day I played the Funk at a party in Reykavik when everybody was drunk.
I had big BAD boxes (which actually works better (or just as good) as clean, crisp boxes).
Suddenly everybody saw the light...
All these people I didn't know would come up and ask me-"what's that amazing music called???"
"It's Baile-Morro-Carioca-Favela Funk Motherfucker!!!
-You didn't know???!!!"

It was funny in Sao Paulo.I DJ'd at one of the many Sao Paulo biennial parties.
I was spinning More Fire Crew/Platinum 45-Oi!
and some old dark ragga, Lexxus-Straight Up(highly,highly recommended) and Ward 21-Judgement Day.
And all these brazilians would go crazy!!!
I, in my ignorance thought it was gonna be too dark or too hard for them.
I thought I was gonna have too sleaze my way into their souls with some slick Bossa or Capoeira.
(The Brazilian DJ before me just spinned pissy disco & trance).
Late in the night the Police came and tried to shut us down & I thought it was game over.
Two minutes later the party organizers would come up to me..."PLAY MORE,PLAY MORE!!!".
They had paid the police some money and the party could go on!
I couldn't resist the temptation and played KRS One-"Wup Wup,It's the sound of the Police..."
And the whole place EXPLODED!!!!!
At the after party all these Brazilians would come up to me and asked if I had heard any Funk from the
Favelas?-I admitted that I hadn't.I got a list one meter long (about a yard) with names of DJ's and compilations.
The next two weeks I was busy harrassing street hustlers in Rio & Sao Paulo to come up with some FUNK...and it worked.

..........TIPS.....RECOMMENDED and not.........

Funk Neurotica is probably the most famous compilation series,volume 1-26 up until this October,
probably 10 more by now...volume 16 is supposed to be extra bonus good.
I got 3 of them (21,23,25) but the best one I got so far is Super Funk 2,that one is absolutely amazing!!!
I assume there is also a Superfunk 1.
Another REALLY good compilation is "Caldeirao Do Funk" by DJ Sergio Mama & DJ Flavhino on Link Records.
DJ Marlboro is looked upon as the grandfather of Funk and from what I've gathered deservedly so.
But beware,I also got some really bad stuff from him...
A "voce ouve a cidade e sai-Dancando" compilation is horrible,a sort of Euro-Techno-Trance attempt.

Don't Fake Da Funk!!!

Greetings Jonas

Last edited:

Woebot

gejonte said:
Well I guess you need old Uncle Alcohol sometimes to
open people up...............
.............Don't Fake Da Funk!!!

great stories jonas :-D

redcrescent

Excellent! Great, great post, Jonas. I've had similar experiences with sober funky do morro first-timers, people going absolutely fucking apeshit to More Fire Crew (only in my case it was "Back Then" and a dj set in the 2003 European Capital of Culture, Graz/Austria) and playing KRS-One's "Sound of da police" after yet another visit from the boys in green (Body Count's "Cop Killer" being another obvious favorite when the underemployed Vienna police have nothing better to do than harass a few hundred peaceful partygoers on account of a single phone call from an insomniac octogenarian).
Keep the funk flowing!!!