OK time to fess up

Troy

31 Seconds
Be careful, Confucius!

I see you painting yourself into a corner... You better, better, better NOT say that you love Wesley Willis!!!

zhao

there are no accidents
Be careful, Confucius!

I see you painting yourself into a corner... You better, better, better NOT say that you love Wesley Willis!!!

sorry but I don't know what this means! I had to wiki Wesley Willis and I still don't understand...?

zhao

there are no accidents
ok that's great. power to this dude and all the others out there like him. but your point is... ?

Troy

31 Seconds
To Zhao...

hmmm... I recognize the face but not the name.... OH! It's you Confucius!

My point is that Wesley Willis does not measure up to any possible widely held standards for great art... and yet... he's friggin GREAT!

How can this be?

zhao

there are no accidents
for the last time:

I am not arguing for some rigid, unchanging, old-testament criteria for the judgement of art set in marble.

the criteria changes all the time, and does not adhere to what ever position the "authority", whether the Roman Catholic Church or MOMA NY, takes on things.

I'm sure there are qualities about this man's work that makes it great, I don't have to list them for you becuase you know what they are. and these same qualities can be found in other work which is worth our while.

Troy

31 Seconds
for the last time:

I am not arguing for some rigid, unchanging, old-testament criteria for the judgement of art set in marble.

Looks to me that this is exactly what you are arguing for....

Because when I see contemporary Arabic Typography, look at a porceline vase from 4000 BC China, read a novel by Viginia Wolfe, listen to an 18th century Raga from India, use a piece of designer silverware from Sweden -- I perceive the same level of accomplishment - attention to detail, sophistication in simplicity, inventiveness, and resolution of formal elements into a finished, cohesive whole which is greater than the sum of the parts. (this incidentally may be a good definition of art)

I think maybe you are confusing "art" with "craftsmanship".

I think that great craft can be great art. But "art" can also encompass things like "genius" or "divine intervention" or "protest" or "dadaism", things I suppose are very difficult to judge.

zhao

there are no accidents
But "art" can also encompass things like "genius" or "divine intervention" or "protest" or "dadaism", things I suppose are very difficult to judge.

just by saying that it is "difficult" you are admitting that it is not impossible.

people do it EVERY FUCKING DAY. what does a collector of conceptual art spend $50,000 on? which post-dada prankster does a gallery represent?

these decisions are each based on a criteria. not everyone will agree, and it changes all the time, but there is always a criteria, and a lot of people will agree.

I don't think denial of this is a position that anyone in his right mind can take... hell, it's not even a position!

Troy

31 Seconds
Lankavatara Sutra

The words of the Buddha...

The mind-system which is the source of the evil out-flowings consists of the five sense-organs and their accompanying sense-minds (vijnanas) all of which are unified in the discriminating-mind (manovijnana). There is an unending succession of sense-concepts flowing into this discriminating or thinking-mind which combines them and discriminates them and passes judgement upon them as to their goodness or badness. Then follows aversion to or desire for them and attachment and deed; thus the entire system moves on continuously and closely bound together. But it fails to see and understand that what it sees and discriminates and grasps is only a manifestation of its own activity and has no other basis, and so the mind goes on erroneously perceiving and discriminating differences of forms and qualities, not remaining still even for a minute.

zhao

there are no accidents
wow. that is some good stuff there... thanks...

...............................................................................................................

Troy

31 Seconds
by the way...

Thanks for the give and take, Zhao. It's fun to argue (in the good sense) about things you are passionate about.

But I was wondering... what propted you to write your "Against Subjectivity" blogpost in the first place. Did you encounter some horrendous art in some gallery you paid big bucks to enter? Or did you hear one too many crap Chili Peppers song on the radio? What?

zhao

there are no accidents
what propted you to write your "Against Subjectivity" blogpost in the first place.

I had heard that line one time too many. it was indeed at a horrendous "art" show, and I was like "this sucks ass" and this girl I was hanging out with says, you guessed it, "it's all subjective". we got into it and she absolutely refused to see my points...

the buddhist ideal is profound and is ultimately right, for the paths that we are all on...

but we do live in the real world, and absolute relativism in the realm of aesthetics is bothersome, but when it is applied to ethics and morality, is just horrifying.

I mean, raping and murdering a baby is just WRONG. period. and someone who does it should be punished. no ifs and buts about it.