Bay Area Rap

dubble-u-c

Dorkus Maximus
just picked up that mixtape, that stuff is great! When i was 14/15 i used to listen to a load of solesides/quannum stuff, is there any crossover between the older guys and this new scene? Any of the old souls of mischief making hyphy beats now? How big are these guys in America? Any hyphy records crossing over to the mainstream or, at least into fairly mainstream clubs?

Jacob

Shadow is producing hyphy beats and Zion I put out a single recently with Mistah F.A.B. . Traxxamillion and Mistah FaB were also both involved in the bay area "back pack rap" scene.

E-40 and Too Short (Though he lives in ATL) are both still heavily involved in the bay area rap music scene.

Recently the song i have been really feeling is "That Go" by Keak da Sneak and there is a new Turf Talk tune produced by traxxamillion that came out recently that I really like -I cant remember the name off the top of my head.

Also Rick Rock used to produce a lot of what in the bay area we call mob music through the 90's before basically inventing the blueprint for hyphy production.

i am going to put together another hyphy/snap/crunk mix soon.

A more Bay Area than Hyphy-related question, but any news on what happened to Romanowski and Future Primitive Sound? I weren't too interested in their dj sets but found the "Party in my pants"-record as well as Dj Zeph-album really worth a listen.

gumdrops

theres a newish comp on TVT called hyphy hitz. ive only managed to hear it once half way so far but i dont know if they just didnt select the best songs they could have or what but its kinda underwhelming to my ears. not really enough of the faster, more energetic tracks that separate hyphy from other mainstream/southern rap.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
man it's got hyphy juice, fellin myself, get stupid, grown man, got grapes - it's an excellent compilation with every single hyphy record you really need on it. i can't see how you can be underwhelmed. also it's not even out yet officially

gumdrops

well i only had it on in the background while washing the dishes so i need to hear it again. i like some tracks like the turf talk stuff but a fair amount of the first half i just thought was a bit meh. but then im not a 100% hyphy convert anyway. loved a lot of the e-40 album, and stuff like the droop e remix of 3 freaks, the mistah fab stuff, turf talk is back etc but theres too much i find not different enough from other hip hop already out there, and just not that great within that milieu either.

dubble-u-c

Dorkus Maximus
Recording of one of my practice sessions i hope you enjoy
87:55
192kbps 121 mbs
DL:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/mqetir

1.Trae feat Pimp C - Swang -from the album Restless
2.Bonecrusher feat Too Short, Pimp C- Can't Get No Lower
3.3 6 mafia- ?- from underground vol 1
4.Blak Jak -Bobbin' My Head
5.Tum Tum- Caprice Music- remix featuring E 40 And Rick Ross
6.Tum Tum - Caprice music instrumental
7.Scweez ft Mistah F.A.B. - Green Light
8.Clyde Carson - Hyphy Juice remix
9.UGK feat Jazze Pha- Stop -n-Go
10. Three Six Mafia featuring Project Pat and Kanye West- Side 2 Side
11.? dun't know !
12. Zion I Feat Mac Dre- Roll On Out
13. Keak da Sneak- Hyphy, Hyphy
14. Too Short- Burn Rubber pt2
15.Turf Talk Feat Hood Starz- Two Pieced
16. Kaz Kyzah- I Go
17.Scrapaz feat. Yukmouth and Mistah F.A.B- - prerelease from Lp promo
18. Babay Face Assassins feat Keak Da Sneak- Fast Like a Nascar
19.Traxamillion- Gas, Skrape ft. Izz Thizz [Original]
20. Balance feat San Quinn & Mistah F.A.B. -Gotta Get it remix
21.Timbaland Feat Nelly Furtado and Justin Timberlake- Give It To Me --
22. Eddie Projex- On Like Me
23. The Western Conference- Spot Me A Queen
24. Young Leek- Jiggle It -RBL Dub
25.Traxamillion-Getcha Ass Up ft. Smitty Grands
26. B-Legit and Too Short -So International
27. Ms. Toi featuring E 40- Twerk A Twist
28. UGK - Hold It Now
29 .Boo Make It Rain feat Jazze Pha- instrumental
30. Devin The Dude Feat. Snoop Dog and Andre 3000- What a Job this Is- <<-new devin

dubble-u-c

Dorkus Maximus
you are welcome sodium. i always have fun dj'ing this stuff.

there are a few rough spots -but it i think it is pretty smooth over all. i am going to record another session soon- since there is a lot of new stuff i just got i want to incorporate into my sets. but a lot of the stuff on this mix is kind of up to date and there a few older tracks on there as well.

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
I like this mix alot, it's different from the other one, less kind of jump up and go dumb in the club but there's so many good tracks on here - I realised i know so little about current hip hop, but i love all this stuff. Thanks for posting it.

The mixing is excellent as well.

dubble-u-c

Dorkus Maximus
thanks sodium! i really appreciate that.
i was just going with the flow . plus i'm feeling a lot of texas rap these days( as you can see)- which is a bit slower in pace.

I will record another session again soon.
:)

lissajou

tight work, boss!

Tum Tum- Caprice Music- remix featuring E 40 And Rick Ross

sounded so jaw droppingly epic through my monitors, i effing
called my gf at work, so i could share the awesome with
her over the phone!

YAY YAY YAY!!!

dubble-u-c

Dorkus Maximus
tight work, boss!

Tum Tum- Caprice Music- remix featuring E 40 And Rick Ross

sounded so jaw droppingly epic through my monitors, i effing
called my gf at work, so i could share the awesome with
her over the phone!

YAY YAY YAY!!!

thank you! yeah that song is great cranked up full blast so you can feel the low toms bouncing around on it. i am tempted to pitch up the instrumental and use it in a techno set.

btw new mix coming soon.

C

captain easychord

can anyone recommend any good hip-hop vinyl or mixtape spots in the bay area? i'm in town for a few days for work looking to pick up a few things? thanks

dubble-u-c

Dorkus Maximus
can anyone recommend any good hip-hop vinyl or mixtape spots in the bay area? i'm in town for a few days for work looking to pick up a few things? thanks
Amoeba Records
Rasputin Records
Streetlight Records.
B-side

what city are you going to be in?

I live in San Jose- South Bay.
send me a pm.

Last edited:

dubble-u-c

Dorkus Maximus
http://www.mercurynews.com/search/ci_5869850?source=email&nclick_check=1

Interesting article.

My prediction seems to have gone absolutely nowhere, maybe this is why.

Interesting article. The thing is hyphy in the last year or so was in its 5th or 6 th year here in the bay so it is really not a new thing here. A lot for the rappers are moving on to diff things.
I think there will always be that element in bay area rap just as there are still acts doing the mob music thing. It will be supported here in the bay but not as much across the country.

Here is another interesting article at SF Gate that outlines the problems SF rappers in general face.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/05/15/DDG47PPKBT1.DTL

For S.F. rappers, another dream deferred:

Since the 1980s, the Bay Area has been a breeding ground for a thriving underground rap music scene. But while Oakland, Vallejo and Richmond have produced nationally known rappers like Too $hort, E-40 and Master P, San Francisco's track record has been marred by tragedy, violence and legal problems.

Known as Sucka Free City in the rap world, San Francisco has no shortage of rappers or independent labels. However, its artists' close ties to the inner city -- and, by extension, the tribulations of the ghetto -- may be one reason it has produced a scant number of big-name acts.

Regardless of what happens on the national /international level i will always support SF/Oakland bay area artists. I have been supportive since the late 80's I am not giving up now. :)

Last edited: