the Change of Heart Thread

shudder

re: musical theatre. Still can't stand it, after many years and one girlfriend who loves it...

also, the clapping hands animated gif in droid's post is clapping along to the music i'mm listening to.. creepy.

zhao

there are no accidents
shudder said:
the clapping hands animated gif in droid's post is clapping along to the music i'mm listening to.. creepy.

does it make you... shudder??? :eek:

what is musical theater? is it what is known in N. America as "Musicals"? wow. that stuff doesn't even register on my radar. just thinking about the billboards of "the Producers" all over LA is making me...

shudder.

Last edited:
D

droid

shudder said:
also, the clapping hands animated gif in droid's post is clapping along to the music i'mm listening to.. creepy.

xyxnervous.gif

Were you listenen to electro or sumtin similar? Thats a 120bpm Clap...

Freakaholic

not just an addiction
shudder said:
re: musical theatre. Still can't stand it, after many years and one girlfriend who loves it....

i hear you. in fact, i think having a girlfriend who loves it makes you like it less.

musical theatre = musicals, i guess. im in america, and lived in LA for a year. and i hear you on those billboards. i think around the time i was there, there were billboards for lion king absolutely everywhere.

i dont really listen to it on my own, or buy cds from shows. i jsut have an appreciation. thats the change of heart.

speaking of, i think sometime in junior high or high school i had a huge turn around for the Eagles. I cant fuckin stand em now. I think "take it easy" is quite possibly the worst song ever made. and if i hear "hotel california" one more time, i might slap someboday.

zhao

there are no accidents
I go through these periods of becoming EXTREMELY enthusiastic about a genre or micro genre, and sometimes a few months later I realize that some to most of it is actually either not very good or just doesn't do it for me.

case in point: southern hiphop. there will always be time to bump UGK, Master P, Eight Ball, but I've realized that a LOT of the output, expecially more recent things, is actually complete BULLSHIT. I still like select recordings or tracks by Lil' Wayne, Project Pat, Frayser Boy, T.I., 3-6, Paul Wall and Chamillionaire, but so much stuff I amassed during the past year had to be edited out of the collection. more than half.

bruno

est malade
tristan and isolde
i listened to this on the weekend and had an inmense change of heart, if not a conversion. i finally understood, and loved, the operatic form, something i didn't think possible. understanding in the sense of feeling with all my being, feeling for and with the characters, inmersed in the music, engaged and carried away by it all into the final, cathartic ending. i hadn't felt this moved by a form of art in quite some time. the truth is i know very little about opera (or wagner), and i know the visual aspect was missing from the experience, but i am now vastly more sympathetic to this music than before.

blacktulip

Pregnant with mandrakes
Don't hate Bruce Springsteen any more. Still hate U2.

Also did a complete 180 on the vast majority of avant garde music.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I've revised my "all jazz is shit" maxim, which is a shame but with living with a jazz head for 10 years, it was inevitable really. I feel bad about it, and still can't put it on for enjoyment on my own without feeling like a total cunt.

I still hate all of the stuff like what was put in the 'Spiritual Jazz' thread though - don't even get me started on Alice Coltrane, just fucking turn that shit off.

bruno

est malade
I've revised my "all jazz is shit" maxim, which is a shame but with living with a jazz head for 10 years, it was inevitable really. I feel bad about it, and still can't put it on for enjoyment on my own without feeling like a total cunt.

I still hate all of the stuff like what was put in the 'Spiritual Jazz' thread though - don't even get me started on Alice Coltrane, just fucking turn that shit off.
you need to listen to the walt dickerson records i mentioned in the thread, it's almost not jazz but rather cosmic floating music or something like that, very unique music.

i have a love/hate relationship with jazz as my dad played the contrabass and had miles davis' kind of blue on at all times, i oscillate between feeling intense pleasure and intense dislike for it at different times.

craner

Beast of Burden
Yeah! They were Chic-obssessed Italians who hired Luther Vandross as a backing singer. That whole sentence really appeals to me.

mistersloane

lemme guess. Miles Davis right?

....On the corner?

Bitches Brew? - this was the one that pulled me in.

Miles >>> anything on the Spiritual Jazz thread

Yeah Bitches Brew pulled me in first along with the Chicago Art Ensemble then Don Cherry and then it was downhill from there on in. I feel dirty.

mistersloane

you need to listen to the walt dickerson records i mentioned in the thread, it's almost not jazz but rather cosmic floating music or something like that, very unique music.

i have a love/hate relationship with jazz as my dad played the contrabass and had miles davis' kind of blue on at all times, i oscillate between feeling intense pleasure and intense dislike for it at different times.

Thanks Bruno definitely will, it sounds great, thanks.

philblackpool

gamelanstep
My 'last genres to succumb to' in the 90s as I was growing up were opera (just my dad's prejudices), happy hardcore (meeting other people I liked who liked it helped) & country (a full album of Jimmie Rodgers & Hank Williams apiece did the trick).

Most of my changes of heart these days are godawful pop songs, where you eventually see someone virtually in tears over em 1984 "It was only an 'opeless fancy"-style & think "Sod it, works for them, it can work for me!". Not quite the same & I'm still not quite a fan, but after years of cursing U2, ten years with my girlf (a U2 superfan) has mellowed me on them considerably, peaking with seeing U23D at an iMax, which I have to say is nigh-on lysergic & by far the best concert movie I can think of.