new isht... what's got you excited in music lately?

DavidD

can't be stopped
1. bay bandwagon (san quinn, hood starz, slump n grind)
2. new juvenile
3. random dancehall singles. BADMAN FORW-
4. biggest ragga dancehall 2005 (playing catch-up)
5. MF Grimm (not new obv but some of it is to me)
6. Lupe Fiasco
7. new T.I. single.

big satan

HA-DO-KEN!
i heard Alan Silva's Celestrial Communication Orchestra 3LP this week and it was fucking insane, that got me excited for sure.
Also The Slugfuckers - 79-81 Cacophony cd is great, they're an australian post-punk band who're kind of like a mixture of early The Fall, Mars, early Sonic Youth and The Slits, but more fucked up and noisey.
liimanarina, from finland, another The Fallish group. these lot sound really drunk.
another thing i found out about recently was the soundtrack to Un Homme & Une Femme, which I heard round my mum's house last week.
also a comp called Hawaiian Guitar Masters that i got on soulseek recently, beautiful stuff.

the thing i'm looking forward to most is the reissue of sonic youth's first album, which i already have but i'm keen for added disc of previously unreleased material. and the ghostface and doom record that's supposed to be out soon.

Last edited:

Constance Labounty

Down since 1999
Footsie productions (Dizzee's Wasteman, the first Dirtee Stank release, Newham Generals' upcoming album, Dizzee's upcoming album..). Magical for some reason.

Looking forward to:
-Benga's CD (coinciding with me discovering him as a mythical figure in dubstep; finding old mixes I'd never listened to, etc)
-Nelly Furtado's new album. For the Timbaland production. Released track ('Maneater') doesn't sound like him at all but is very good. I wonder what he's got up his sleeve.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Just loads of random seven inches. Got a garage track by a Greek sixties band called Olympians, a-side is rocking punk-garage with crazy organ and harmonica called Go Man Go, b-side is ace too and is much more chilled out and sang in Greek. Also an ep by Henri Salvador who I understand was mainly a comedian but did some strange music, particularly a track called Beta Gamma L'Ordinateur which is the fourth song on an ep from (I think) 1968, it's got weird computer noises and a kind of proto-rap/singing over a strange funky beat. Reminds me a bit of Zozoi or Contact but weirder. Er, also a Honeycombs seven which has a great b-side called Can't Get Through To You, it's a mad Joe Meek thing and I've got a distinct feeling that the B-52s had heard it before they did Rock Lobster. Um, an album by Mort Gartson (and allegedly Nancy Sinatra) called Wozard of Iz which is a sort of joke hippy/moog version of... well you can work it out. Movements by Johnny Harris and obviously loads of other stuff that I can't immediately remember.

D

droid

Edward said:
BADMAN FORWARD
BADMAN PULL UP!

thanks for turning me on to this amazing tune!

Theres a version of both tunes on the VP 12" of this btw..

john eden

male pale and stale
droid said:
Theres a version of both tunes on the VP 12" of this btw..

PREZI AND DI CLICK A DO DI BAD MAN PULL UP
BAD MAN FORWARD BAD MAN PULL UP
RAP AND POP OFF WID DI BAD MAN PULL UP

ALL OVA NANYVILLE A DO DI BAD MAN PULL,
ALL OVA NANYVILLE A DO DI BAD MAN PULL

YOU TINK IT SCRATCH NO IT NUH SCRATCH NO IT NUH SCRATCH

BAD MAN FORWARD BAD MAN PULL UP.

:p

D

droid

john eden said:
ALL OVA NANYVILLE A DO DI BAD MAN PULL,
ALL OVA NANYVILLE A DO DI BAD MAN PULL

'Nanyville'??

I havent got this in front of me, but Id bet my lug bolts that hes saying 'Mandeville' there...

john eden

male pale and stale
droid said:
'Nanyville'??

I havent got this in front of me, but Id bet my lug bolts that hes saying 'Mandeville' there...

I think your lug bolts are safe. Isn't flavour flav mentioned in there as well or something? I've only got it from recording a Rodigan show at the moment. :)

They should give me a flippin' gold plated copy of my own for all the good promotion work I am doing for 'em tho.

Hey - wouldn't it be awesome if Ding Dong teamed up with King Kong and did a relick of "rama lama ding dong"?

john eden

male pale and stale
Then again...

news_splash.gif

borderpolice

Constance Labounty said:
-Nelly Furtado's new album. For the Timbaland production. Released track ('Maneater') doesn't sound like him at all but is very good. I wonder what he's got up his sleeve.

i though the same. the other track already out is also very un-timbaland. i can't help but notice prog rock influences. very fascinating. when's the album supposed to be out?

G

grosun

dsp13 said:
just listened to a 90 second clip ... sounds massive!

Does indeed!

Sounds weirdly old-school tho'... like a lot of stuff from early/mid '90s.

Not that I've anything against that; loved the music from round then, but strange nonetheless.

Does anyone else find this, & if so, are there other tunes like this around? (not been keeping up with dancehall recently, to my shame).

john eden

male pale and stale
grosun said:
Does anyone else find this, & if so, are there other tunes like this around? (not been keeping up with dancehall recently, to my shame).

Dave Kelly's 85 riddim is old skool early digital ragga. Cham "Ghetto Story" and the Pinchers tune are the best.

henry s

Street Fighting Man
I'm all over this new Jimmy Edgar CD, Color Strip...(Warp just issued it)...sorta an ultimate Motor City affair, sonically combining Techno Detroit (May, Atkins, Craig and what have you) with Booty Detroit (DJ Assault, Detroit Grand Pubahs, etc.)...the beats are crisp and clinical, but infused with a warmth than reminds me of nothing so much as Solar Records, circa 1985...(aw, listen at me, sounding all word-of-mouth-marketer!)...Strong Songs, as the wags at WJLB would have said...

Last edited:

bassnation

the abyss
henry s said:
I'm all over this new Jimmy Edgar CD, Color Strip...(Warp just issued it)...sorta an ultimate Motor City affair, sonically combining the Techno Detroit (May, Atkins, Craig and what have you) with Booty Detroit (DJ Assault, Detroit Grand Pubahs, etc.)...the beats are crisp and clinical, but infused with a warmth than reminds me of nothing so much as Solar Records, circa 1985...(aw, listen at me, sounding all word-of-mouth-marketer!)...strong songs, as the wags at WJLB would have said...

wow, this sounds right up my street. a visit to warpmart beckons, methinks.

henry s

Street Fighting Man
bassnation said:
wow, this sounds right up my street. a visit to warpmart beckons, methinks.
Jimmy Edgar also reminds me in places of The Egyptian Lover, who apparently has a new album coming out very soon, I think...The Egyptian Lover!...whooda thought we'd ever see him again!

mms

sometimes
henry s said:
Jimmy Edgar also reminds me in places of The Egyptian Lover, who apparently has a new album coming out very soon, I think...The Egyptian Lover!...whooda thought we'd ever see him again!

that's out now - it's pretty tasty too ina old school way
saw him live recently as it goes - it was great but went on rather long - two big middle aged guys giving it the old - 'hey sexy ladies routine' :)