new isht... what's got you excited in music lately?

Egyptian Lover, baby

Yeah the new EL is out now but... well it's better than I expected in a way but disappointing in another way. There's a few modern hip hop influences on there which are nice but generally I think he's playing it too safe. Of his old stuff, I really liked the weirder tracks like "Unreal" or "I Cry" or "Los Angeles", not the endless remakes of Egypt Egypt (which are all great but none of them beat the original)

...BAD MAN FORWARD etc.

blunt

shot by both sides
henry s said:
I'm all over this new Jimmy Edgar CD, Color Strip...

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... just having a listen to some snippets of this now. Nice tip. Top hole.

Currently caning the last J Dilla LP in honour of his untimely demise (not too mention Audio One's wicked tribute mix - thanks to Droid for that one). And the Matias Aguayo LP, also propped somewhere here. And Frivolous' latest tune from late last year, 'Kisses'. Which is nothing new, but sweet as. And lots of Joy Division, for some reason (do I really need one?)... not that that's new shit, but if you haven't listened to 'Digital' recently, I suggest you stick it on NOW ;)

D

droid

john eden said:
Hey - wouldn't it be awesome if Ding Dong teamed up with King Kong and did a relick of "rama lama ding dong"?

How about a King Kong/Ding Dong Ping Pong singalong? :D

Freakaholic

not just an addiction
henry s said:
Jimmy Edgar also reminds me in places of The Egyptian Lover, who apparently has a new album coming out very soon, I think...The Egyptian Lover!...whooda thought we'd ever see him again!

this, to me, is HUGE news. egyptian lover doing another album???? is he still....freaky?

also, who the heck is jimmy edgar, and how can you sound like the egyptian lover. he always felt like a freak caught in time.

edit: sorry, i didnt see the review of the album directly above here. but still.... i gotta check this out.

Last edited:

dsp13

GAMEBWOY
bass is the place

maybe this is a stupid question...

do any of you know the shockwave riddim? (sean paul - dem a fraud)... I love the crazy bouncing ball analogue basslines...sounds like something from a dubstep or d&b track, but the rest of the production is kind of weak.

It almost works which is a shame cos I absolutely love these futuristic basslines in riddims. Obviously bionic ras fell into this category and the bug + :eek: ed dmx's first wave function releases, and I know there's lots of more conventional riddims with BIG synthy bass but can anyone recommend some other nice riddims for a bass junkie?

other non-dancehall producer examples that just came to mind are nextmen's "silent weapon", some of lotek-hi-fi's stuff, the witness the fitness dub, seed's "dickes b" (third time I've mentioned this on here!), tim wright's "the ride" ,the diplo riddim & that crazy jaques le cont riddim, (although it's kind of in a class of its own)

Last edited:

Eric

Mr Moraigero
new Altz record
new(ish) dancehall (random mixes from the local spot) & old Sizzla and Capleton a lot these days
new Mighty Crown mixtape
Michael Watts!!!!

dsp13

GAMEBWOY
Eric said:
...new Mighty Crown mixtape...
You mean the "Crown Jugglaz" one? It's good innit! but (and I've been whining about this elsewhere) DR EVIL totally ruins it for me :confused: to the point where I'm tempted to edit and re-burn it! I hate being a hater!!!

Eric

Mr Moraigero
yeah the CJ 'Revolution' one. the Crown tapes are always good and this one is no exception. agreed on the Dr Evil though. I don't really get the appeal there. The stuff on the mixtape is not so good at all. I laughed the first time I heard the first 30 seconds of 'More Punanny' but never again please! :) much prefer twins of twins if we have to go there.

mms

sometimes
grosun said:
Does indeed!

Sounds weirdly old-school tho'... like a lot of stuff from early/mid '90s.

Not that I've anything against that; loved the music from round then, but strange nonetheless.

Does anyone else find this, & if so, are there other tunes like this around? (not been keeping up with dancehall recently, to my shame).

yeah its on 80s type riddims this and the 85 riddim ..really banging, makes a change after one drops being the most popular thing last year overall it seems. really want to hear that played out now..
over to you gabriel...

Ned

Ruby Tuesday
Yeah I am only into dancehall if it has big basslines, a few more good ones:

Jahcoozi - Black Barbie (original or Modeselektor remix)
Modeselektor - Silikon
M.I.A. - Galang (South Rakkas remix)
DJ Riddim & Source - Elephantitus of the Man
Lotek Hi-Fi - Move Your Thing (Small Arms Fiya mix)

mms

sometimes
Ned said:
Yeah I am only into dancehall if it has big basslines, a few more good ones:

Jahcoozi - Black Barbie (original or Modeselektor remix)
Modeselektor - Silikon
M.I.A. - Galang (South Rakkas remix)
DJ Riddim & Source - Elephantitus of the Man
Lotek Hi-Fi - Move Your Thing (Small Arms Fiya mix)

jahcoozi are kitty yo's dub electronic signing are'nt they?
you know there is also a white female european mc called jahlicious at the moment, infact there is a whole bunch of these dubbish kinda bands which mix electronics and mcs etc labels like sugarlicks, soul dub sounds, metapolyp, swedish brandy etc coming up across europe, plus wordsound seem to making a bid back . It doesn't quite gel though - they sound like post bug sterotyp bands but they keep within tasteful confines and smooth things out a bit too much so i can't really get into it, there is none of say the bugs brutalist interests or rhythm and sounds experimental dub techno roots to really give these bands strong purpose and id.

Ned

Ruby Tuesday
IMO Jahcoozi are actually pretty awful - some of the production is all right but some of it is just like a generic ringtone version of Timbaland with a bit more bass, and Sasha Perera, their MC, has good delivery but embarrassingly bad lyrics.

ragga rhythms

any chance you can post a snippet of shockwave to listen to? you've made me well curious but i can't find it on the ol' internet....

my favourite JA beats from the late 90s/early 00s:

Bad Company (King Of Kings) - weird flangey noises and oboe
Who Say Dem A Bad Man by Lexxus (Mult-I) - I dunno the name of the rhythm but it's ultra-minimal synth bass and hihat
Scream2 - Suku Mikey (Shangul) - ascending vocal sound and yip noise
Doorslam - Annex Crew - doorslams, someone who sounds like prince far i grunting
Skunk - Dave Lindsay (Pown Daddy) - elephant man samples and backwards bits
Candle Wax (Fat Eyes) - vocal-sounding synth, shouts and latin piano
Body Bad (Total Satisfaction) - synth bass and random bleeps

generally the vocals make it better which is the opposite of hip hop IMO.