Burial interview @ Blackdown/Burial album

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
agree^^

I like this record because there's no 'thing' about it that can describe it, it's just really well done.

it's ingredients from the same cookbook (2step, Rhythm+Sound, Electronica) that many have gone to, but it's just combined in a very fresh and beautiful way.

bassnation

the abyss
SIZZLE said:
agree^^

I like this record because there's no 'thing' about it that can describe it, it's just really well done.

it's ingredients from the same cookbook (2step, Rhythm+Sound, Electronica) that many have gone to, but it's just combined in a very fresh and beautiful way.

yes, and i think thats part of the reason it resonates so deeply with me. completely new ideas out of the blue are rare and are probably over-valued anyway - plus its never been the way the dance scene has worked in the past.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
I fell asleep at a bus stop in an urban area the other day, half drunk, listening to the South London Boroughs EP. It felt right... ;)

Blackdown

nexKeysound
SIZZLE said:

the interesting thing is, as you can see in his interview, burial hadn't heard any Rhythm & Sound til kode played him some after the LP, nor much electronica either. 2step, dubstep rave and jungle/d&b are far bigger and direct influences.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Yeah, its easy to see how he came about a similar(ish) sound via a very different set of sources... the electronica thing is obvious tho, as if he was big up on the Warp crew (say) then he'd sound more prissy and edit happy (ie- boxcutter)-- which would kind of lose the emotional content somewhat. That's good tho, to many now electronica-blase ears Burial is in kind of similar territory but with all the wanky bits removed. That freshness is obvious as even the whole crackle thing is looked at from another angle (apart from dusty vinyl/pole filters) ie- the pirates, and by reconnecting to more "vital" source material (ie- pirate radio, proper dance music etc) he reinvigorates the whole thing. And the half-song feel keeps the evocative/emotive content really high.

I completely believe the whole "attempting to recapture classic 2-step producers" claim... he's attempted it, got it wrong, but got it so right in his own way...

shudder

gek-opel said:
Yeah, its easy to see how he came about a similar(ish) sound via a very different set of sources... the electronica thing is obvious tho, as if he was big up on the Warp crew (say) then he'd sound more prissy and edit happy (ie- boxcutter)-- which would kind of lose the emotional content somewhat. That's good tho, to many now electronica-blase ears Burial is in kind of similar territory but with all the wanky bits removed. That freshness is obvious as even the whole crackle thing is looked at from another angle (apart from dusty vinyl/pole filters) ie- the pirates, and by reconnecting to more "vital" source material (ie- pirate radio, proper dance music etc) he reinvigorates the whole thing. And the half-song feel keeps the evocative/emotive content really high.

I completely believe the whole "attempting to recapture classic 2-step producers" claim... he's attempted it, got it wrong, but got it so right in his own way...

basically agree with everything here. in case y'all haven't read it, check out Gutterbreakz' take, which is quite similar, I think.

Woebot

bruno said:
i thought it was pertinent to discuss the album on a separate thread. the other thread deals with the interview, software and a billion other things and it is too long already. but if you want it merged..

i hear you bruno, but i've merged these anyway. hope that's ok.

Don Rosco

The album is (one of) Boomkat's album(s) of the week. They appear to have a pretty narrow definition of 'the entire musical spectrum' though:

Burial's debut album has already been subject to extensive discussion and focus dotted around the entire musical spectrum, from the cavernous Dubstep community at one end to the expansive critical behemoth of Pitchfork and Simon Reynolds at the other.

;)

I got the album from Cargo yesterday. It's good, eh? Not quite hitting the heights I expected from all the talk yet, but I suspect it's a grower.

mms

sometimes
Don Rosco said:
The album is (one of) Boomkat's album(s) of the week. They appear to have a pretty narrow definition of 'the entire musical spectrum' though:

;)

I got the album from Cargo yesterday. It's good, eh? Not quite hitting the heights I expected from all the talk yet, but I suspect it's a grower.

it's album of the week in warpmart as well - i rushed out a pretty bad warp friendly description very quickly but urged people to buy it , i'll edit it when i'm back tho
it's a massive grower, yep http://www.warprecords.com/?mart=HDBCD001

i think it doesn't hit but more or less assimilates..

Last edited:

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Burial's debut album has already been subject to extensive discussion and focus dotted around the entire musical spectrum, from the cavernous Dubstep community at one end to the expansive critical behemoth of Pitchfork and Simon Reynolds at the other.

Has simon written about Burial? if so where...

blunt

shot by both sides
Don Rosco said:
The album is (one of) Boomkat's album(s) of the week.

Items shipped to you:
Ordered Title Price (GBP) Dispatched Subtotal
1 BURIAL, Burial, CD £ 9.99 1 £ 9.99

Oh happy day... :)