Burial interview @ Blackdown/Burial album

Don Rosco

Man, everyone's down on the Spaceape tune. I really like it. If any vocalist is gonna fit in to that sound, it's gonna be the Spaceape and his supply of anti-helium.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Don Rosco said:
Man, everyone's down on the Spaceape tune. I really like it. If any vocalist is gonna fit in to that sound, it's gonna be the Spaceape and his supply of anti-helium.

i love the spaceape tune, but i wonder if the haters are more of the electronic/microhouse/instrumental dance persuasion... it's cool, no LP can please all of the people all of the time.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Yeah on ILM there's much hate for "Spaceape", but to be honest its a good extension of his sound, its not really dubstep or 2 step, something more like Joy Division and Lynton Kwesi Johnson play minimalist R'n'B or something... great hi hats, great wound-up out of time drums (especially towards the end of the drum phrase) and nice SFX bit with trickling water...

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
Don Rosco said:

its great and the album totally needs it - i really like the lyrics - they draw the listener away from the earthy feeling of the rest of the album but somehow probably due to his stentorian tones keep it pinned.
one or two ilmers are saying its the waekest, not because of they are house fans or whatever though, just t seems because it breas the album up and isnt all deep production.
disagree that the boxcutter album is better the first track is as great but it feels like a multi instrumentalist showcase rather than an album and the production lacks the melodics dub and emotional focus of burial.

Last edited:

Don Rosco

Ok, as I suspected, it's a serious grower. I'm pretty much captivated by it now. I get getting little snippets floating into my mind...

it's not bad eh...

...but sometimes i keep wondering, where's the rest of it ???

on a side note if you go to burials myspace page and play his "homeless" tune then go to ours and play " the dead truth" at the same time, you'll hear something randomly wicked and beautifully, unintentionally syncopated...

...I've actually hit him up about doing a legit RMX of it but as yet no reply

gumdrops

does anyone know where that tiny vocal sample in wounder that was also used in busta rhymes touch it is from? its like a robotically bounced gurgle/gulp/'oh' sort of sound. i think its from some old electro track from the mid 80s but for some reason i cant put my finger on it.

Last edited:

bruno

est malade
i received my copy of this, finally. lovely, minimal artwork, to begin with, very atmospheric. and through my window i see rain and greyness and mountains covered by the clouds. so there you have it, packaging and surroundings are just right, but the music has a warmth that i imagine would fit, say, sao paulo or bangkok at night, though i've never been to these places. and it's very intense, at times moving music, but irregular, a handful of tracks soaring far above the rest; distant lights and pirates, in particular, are just stunning. then there is something like prayer, which feels like it was made for something else, or by someone else, at another time. it annoys me to the point that i have deleted it from my playlist. but this album is still the most impressive thing i've heard this year. i would recommend it without blinking.

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Gotta say I thought the Boxcutter album was pretty poor. To start with it's quite crisp and punchy, but after the first few tracks, it becomes really bad- lush layers without any real direction. Enough of the Pharoah Sanders plug-ins!

He's got a nice selection of samples, but sometimes it just sounds like he's trying to use them all at once.

Eric

Mr Moraigero
bruno said:
the music has a warmth that i imagine would fit, say, sao paulo or bangkok at night, .

it certainly has proved a good fit with the hot humid Tokyo rainy season. my disfave on the album is definitely spaceape; the sound is good (screwed LKJ?) but when I actually process the lyrics I find them very very annoying.

swears

preppy-kei
Eric said:
it certainly has proved a good fit with the hot humid Tokyo rainy season. my disfave on the album is definitely spaceape; the sound is good (screwed LKJ?) but when I actually process the lyrics I find them very very annoying.

I actually quite like the spaceape track, but it seems to break the flow of the otherwise instrumental album. Maybe it could have come out as a seperate mix or download or something.

greeneyes

Bit Mangler
I'd much rather "Prayer" wasn't on there.

Prefer less obvious Massive Attack references thanks very much. (or did massive attack sample the same source and I'm not aware of it?)