Burial interview @ Blackdown/Burial album

elgato

I just dont know
I wouldnt personally agree with that, certainly not from the clips ive heard of your latest material (while we're on that, Lata is really beautiful, big up!).

Im really interested in why you seem to have such an aversion to 'electronica' though... is it fair to say that you do?

Poet for Hire

Blackdown said:
take that back
Its not meant as an insult, but probably the way you are generalizing, it would be one in your terms. I just mean your music seems to be overtly conceptualized in a way most dubstep isnt.

D84

OK I downloaded the breezeblock mp3 and it sounds nice. Not sure if it's sunk in enough yet to be really enthused but I'll give it another go...

I can definitely hear the Luomo / Delay vibe as well as the sound editing stuff.

Yeah, I agree - the "sweet" touches got me into dub in the first place along with the delay and heaps of "subliminal" sounds. But I can live with dub without the "sweetness" too - eg. erm some of the nastier Sherwood productions etc.

mms

sometimes
interesting point about sweetness and dub - how do you square that one off as a massive fan of veneer of democracy and mark stewart, mark?

maybe the argument is about dub as a means to an end - leaving no trace as there is no trace to be left being the thing that sets it apart

although the sweetness is cetainly present in burial

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
sweetness as an antidote / alternative to too much testosterone-fuelled bangingness of the Vex'd variety -- which is good stuff, obviously, but you need some light and shade. That's how I'm reading Mark anyway.

I think there's plenty of that sweetness in DMZ, Loefah, Skream et al and I believe that DMZ and Loe do not want to just make banging boys music.

dHarry

mms said:
interesting point about sweetness and dub - how do you square that one off as a massive fan of veneer of democracy and mark stewart, mark?

maybe the argument is about dub as a means to an end - leaving no trace as there is no trace to be left being the thing that sets it apart

although the sweetness is cetainly present in burial
if you're talking about mark k-punk's take, I think he was getting at the dub's subtraction of the melody/sweetness of the original as an audible process, not just for the sake of a nice balance of light and shade, but as a revolutionary break from the traditions of songwriting and recording as a transparent facilitator of the "original"sound.

Making a [bass+drums] tune sound like dub isn't always enough to emulate the revolutionary qualities of roots dub. Similarly just adding a synth melody cos it sounds nice doesn't equate with the sweetness of roots dub - it's the studio/dub magic as audible process that's missing here.

k-punk

Spectres of Mark
mms said:

Simple - it's not a dub record!

mms

sometimes
k-punk said:
Simple - it's not a dub record!

neither is burial though , it has nothing to dub from as such, no songs which are directly given over to the process of dub, just snatches of things recorded for other purposes, the only thing it dubs are ideas,

but it uses the techniques of dub echo,reverb, texture as its main production tool, to produce it's emotional punches as does veneer.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Burial's music is great, but it's not a patch on a Hatcha DJ set from 99 or 00. Real abstract garage.

Nor is it as good as DMZ, not by a long shot

And you can hear where he's cutting up old Locked On tunes

I'll still be buying the CD when it's out... though I have to say, I think Dubstep Allstars Vol 3 is worthy of as much attention :)

Last edited:

DJL

i'm joking
I'm def buying the cd when it comes out but I agree its not the be all and end all. To me it conjures up the sound and feeling of the earliest point of the hardcore continuum. Like we have completed some kind of circle musically.

The problem for me with dubstep is a lack of energy. It has the sounds and the vibe but unless im smoking a lot of weed i don't really want to listen to it particularly. I appreciate the whole mediatation stance of the live setting but so what. I want to go out, do drugs, get some anger out and escape. I want to get away from the rest of my life. For me the cathartic element is key. The most important thing right now for me is a sense of movement and forward progress though.

The mainstream cheese nights that dominate in the UK are ok but they don't fulfill what a lot of people really want which is something against the mainstream that is accepting of everybody feeling alienated. To a certain extent the music is secondary to the vibe at a party and at the moment that vibe is confused. To relieve confusion people need to take MDMA powder or ecstacty tablets. I'm not even joking. We have got to a point where the original guinea pigs of ecstacy consumption can report back some valid results and it seems (with the excepton of complete caners) it doesn't have a serious negative effect in the long run. Cocaine seems to have hit critical mass amongst my friends and is suddenly no longer a central stimulate as it has been for the past five years or so. Its all about ecstacy. Fuck all the bad reports. Statistically you are more likely to die from choking on a cabbage leaf - FACT. When E makes a serious comeback (which I believe it will but with powder taking more of a central stage) then we will have the scene we all want. Everything starts with an E.

Last edited:

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
yeah dude, I'm sorry, the whole 'drugs as central to the music experience thing' is just not that interesting. I don't think you NEED to be under any influence to appreciate dubstep, although it could help. And I can totally see people on E getting down with it, the only people I see probably being frustrated with it are the teeth gnashing coke and speedists and THANK FUCKING GOD! Nothing I would rather avoid more than having some ranting cokehead chew my ear off in a club, thinking they're making a lot of really deep points and just making a total cunt of themselves, and yes I am thinking of more than one specific instance here.

Also, 'The music is secondary to the vibe at the party', no thanks boss, not at the parties I'm interested in going to. Don't totally get how you develop much of a vibe if the music is secondary anyway, looking at the clothes people or wearing? I really hope you're not suggesting it's by taking drugs, because drugs being more important than the music is the main thing which drove a ton of rave music into a terribly boring cul de sac. Ever heard the term 'drug music'? It's one I use to describe non-threatening, repetitive music that keeps people in a comfortable predictable place to serve a backdrop to whatever drugs they're on and keep them chugging away on the dancefloor all night. In short: music that is boring as fuck to listen to if you're not high, which to me is the exact opposite of a good thing.

DJL

i'm joking
I've been spending some time on the Fantazia (legendary '92 rave organisation) forum and the attitude of the posters (who include one of the organisers amongst others) is unique. They stress the importance of the attitude or vibe at a party as being central to its success. The music obviously has a massive effect but not over the attitude of the crowd in the first place. Thats why grime/dubstep raves are full of blokes. Right music, wrong 'vibe'.

I think e can help in a big way to relieve these tensions considering its effect on people over history.

Last edited:

hamzen

The problem for me with dubstep is a lack of energy. It has the sounds and the vibe but unless im smoking a lot of weed i don't really want to listen to it particularly. I appreciate the whole mediatation stance of the live setting but so what. I want to go out, do drugs, get some anger out and escape. I want to get away from the rest of my life. For me the cathartic element is key. The most important thing right now for me is a sense of movement and forward progress though.

Different peoples experiences I guess, but I've never experienced so much energy out as at dubstep nights. I find the bass so powerful, and not in a compressed dnb kinda way, that it's like being wired straight into into the plug socket, although I guess if you're talking social energy then superfically yeah.

One of the side benefits of meditate on bass weight is surely that it takes you right out of your normal reality, sense of self etc, but because it's seriously grounded you end up having cleared a lot of head stuff rather than just escaped it, that's been my experience anyways.

jay-s

i'm afraid it's perfectly true that dubstep lacks energy on pretty much every level. i suppose it's a matter of taste as well, but if you have experience with all the different styles of club music dubstep can't possibly rank high in this regard. there are exceptions, of course, but not enough of them.

DJL

i'm joking
hamzen said:

Different peoples experiences I guess, but I've never experienced so much energy out as at dubstep nights. I find the bass so powerful, and not in a compressed dnb kinda way, that it's like being wired straight into into the plug socket, although I guess if you're talking social energy then superfically yeah.

One of the side benefits of meditate on bass weight is surely that it takes you right out of your normal reality, sense of self etc, but because it's seriously grounded you end up having cleared a lot of head stuff rather than just escaped it, that's been my experience anyways.

True, it has that 'hardcore continuum' effect but its only for those who appreciate it. A large public audience is the desired end result which some dubstep tunes such as anti war dub and request liine appeal to. But I can see a sink into this dubstep 101 half step forumla around the corner which is just a dead end. Forget your genre in terms of the scene you are in. People just want a culture to believe in which is easy to create right now. If the different 'genres' realised they are all in it for the same reasons we would all stress much less.