Burial interview @ Blackdown/Burial album

mms

sometimes
DJL said:
Girls (not all but most) don't want to go to a night with moody, letchy blokes and threat of violence in the air.

they should go to dmz then i think .
i haven't ever seem any letchyness or problems or whatever at a dubstep night.
far more of that at r and b nights etc where girls flock too

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
Also, I know this will annoy people, but unless you have heard a good DJ playing dubstep on a loud, deep system then you are having less than half of the experience. I shared almost exactly many of the statements expressed here (lack of energy etc), until I heard Mala DJ in NYC, then I flipped 180 and am now a passionate dubstep supporter. And many of the tunes he played I had already heard on mp3 etc, but didn't 'get' them until hearing them on the system.

As the virus spreads it will get easier and easier to hear the music properly, be patient before you formulate your opinions.

elgato

I just dont know
DJL said:
Girls (not all but most) don't want to go to a night with moody, letchy blokes and threat of violence in the air.

Am i right in thinking that this is your perception of the nature of dubstep nights?

DJL

i'm joking
elgato said:
Am i right in thinking that this is your perception of the nature of dubstep nights?

Im going to hold my hand up and admit i have yet to hear dubstep in a live setting. Ive been to some grime things and plenty of dnb nights and that is what my assumptions are based on. Will rectify this situation soon.

elgato

I just dont know
This is it tho, I dare say that a fair number of girls dont want to go to nights with moody letchy blokes and a threat of violence, which is why most girls ive spoken to, regardless of if they liked the music or not, said they thoroughly enjoyed the dubstep nights theyve been to! I imagine it will vary from place to place, but in Bristol (and at DMZ and fwd when ive been able to make it), the vibe has been very welcoming, certainly not letcherous and certainly not violent!

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
yeah co-sign this, me and my girl work in the grime scene and she went to FWD and was shocked by how nice the vibe was after being in a few grime raves. It's a small sampling but as far as my research shows girls like the dubstep vibe. Very much the opposite of lecherous and violent.

bassnation

the abyss
autonomicforthepeople said:
Yeah I think that one needs hashing out. I see your point re: 'dance music' though.

this term deeply unfashionable now - and yeah definitions can be useful - but dance music still means something to me, beyond the flatulent excesses of the late nineties. i don't see anything to be ashamed of personally.

the day will come when this feeling of it being sullied beyond recovery has gone.

3underscore

DJL said:

DJL said:
Im going to hold my hand up and admit i have yet to hear dubstep in a live setting. Ive been to some grime things and plenty of dnb nights and that is what my assumptions are based on. Will rectify this situation soon.

DING!

jay-s

that argument "you need to hear it in a club" is kinda strange. you need to say that to dance music hating rock fans, but most other people already have a good feeling for music that they will autimatically tell you "i want to hear this on a loud system". which is what a lot of people who like dance music tell me when they hear dubstep. but then, i've heard it on a loud system and i would still say that most of it does lack energy. 2-3 years ago playing dubstep was always a good way to clear the dancefloor. it seems to be getting better though.

and for the record, i like dubstep, but i prefer the sound from which it developed.

bassnation

the abyss
elgato said:
This is it tho, I dare say that a fair number of girls dont want to go to nights with moody letchy blokes and a threat of violence, which is why most girls ive spoken to, regardless of if they liked the music or not, said they thoroughly enjoyed the dubstep nights theyve been to! I imagine it will vary from place to place, but in Bristol (and at DMZ and fwd when ive been able to make it), the vibe has been very welcoming, certainly not letcherous and certainly not violent!

there are still dance clubs without a lecherous atmosphere. not everywhere is like shoreditch - i'd say it depends on the music and what the club is all about. dubstep certainly does not have a monopoly in that regard.

bassnation

the abyss
infinite thought said:
listening to the album today - it's great - it's almost 'post-hearing'...like catching vague sounds of a rave across town whilst slowly drowning in the Thames...k-punk is right - it just does sound like south London, from the seagulls to the reverberating car stereos to the mad muttering of psych-wards patients on day-release. Everything is just at a slightly odd speed...time is out of joint...

its good, and this view will go down like a lead baloon here, but its as close as dubstep has got to idm / techno in my opinion. the only thing thats pulling it back is the vocal licks here and there. still good stuff though.

bassnation

the abyss
mms said:
people have been taking mdma power etc for ages now, you can get it easier than ever.
Ecstacy is not the answer to everything, most people are over that now i think.
Personally i think its good that mdma isn't the only 'dance' drug anymore as other drugs like ketamine, weed and lsd have produced some interesting and strange results.

i agree that the other drugs and their influence on music is interesting - but i'm not sure i'll ever get over the way mdma has changed my understanding of sound. its more like a permanent change that is so overwhelming its hard to imagine what it was like before.

even my appreciation of dubstep is filtered through a bunch of other earlier sounds, all of which were to do with ecstasy. i'm not sure you can get it 100% without knowing about the earlier stuff - although i could be wrong - maybe people coming into it fresh get something different altogether.

Last edited:

Paul Hotflush

techno head
jay-s said:
2-3 years ago playing dubstep was always a good way to clear the dancefloor.

That's still true now. I hate playing to an uninitiated crowd, they very rarely respond other than to ask for "something you can dance to". It just takes people time to "get" it.

elgato

I just dont know
bassnation said:
there are still dance clubs without a lecherous atmosphere. not everywhere is like shoreditch - i'd say it depends on the music and what the club is all about. dubstep certainly does not have a monopoly in that regard.

Of course, i didnt mean to give the impression that this was my opinion. What i said was in defence of dubstep nights being accused of lechery!

I concur on the playing to a crowd who dont know the sound, its long. Its so annoying...'are you gonna play anything...erm...a bit...erm...faster?!' they say on their way out of the room. Did have its advantages once though when utilised to get a particularly unsavoury, disrespectful and rude group of gabba heads to leave a rave, so incensed they were by the lack of bpms!

hamzen

elgato said:
Did have its advantages once though when utilised to get a particularly unsavoury, disrespectful and rude group of gabba heads to leave a rave, so incensed they were by the lack of bpms!

:)

mms

sometimes
bassnation said:
even my appreciation of dubstep is filtered through a bunch of other earlier sounds, all of which were to do with ecstasy. i'm not sure you can get it 100% without knowing about the earlier stuff - although i could be wrong - maybe people coming into it fresh get something different altogether.

i reckon you're right there, to an extent, it was certainly a filter,
but then is'nt distance's background in new metal though, even beltram used to boast about black sabbath beign his biggest influence, that coulda been some pr though.
Also agree with you about burial being close to idm, but it's also the closest to some kind of post garage cosolidation,where it still carries the memes of garage, rhythm and vocal but it's definitley changed..
Alot of dubstep seems to be almost just pre-hardcore in mood to me, the euphoria in dubstep is quite different, it's hard to measure what it is, but one partis definitley to do with crowds recognising dubplates and getting a rewind, the part the audience play in the fracture and flow of the set is one of the most important things, that's why dubstep demands smaller spaces in a way.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
mms said:
Alot of dubstep seems to be almost just pre-hardcore in mood to me,
When it was emerging out of steppers and fast chat

mms said:
the euphoria in dubstep is quite different, it's hard to measure what it is, but one partis definitley to do with crowds recognising dubplates and getting a rewind, the part the audience play in the fracture and flow of the set is one of the most important things, that's why dubstep demands smaller spaces in a way.
Last night people were recognising and responding to tunes they had obviously never heard before but they just know it was going to slay them.

Don't believe the haters - dubstep, live, played by a really good DJ, is the best music in the world right now.

nomos

Administrator
2stepfan said:
Don't believe the haters - dubstep, live, played by a really good DJ, is the best music in the world right now.
Yup. Not to be evangelical or anything, but it will change your life.