Breaking Ranks radio

stelfox

Beast of Burden
Tomorrow night I begin a 13-week series of radio shows, broadcast from midnight to 1am on Resonance FM. It's live and past the watershed, so totally uncensored. Accordingly I will be playing a variety morally indefensible filth from all around the world. Tomorrow will be a mixed bag, with some new Texan rap, a good chunk of hyphy, some grime, a bit of dancehall and what have you. Tune in anyway, and email me at breakingranksradio@yahoo.co.uk if you want shout-outs tracklistings etc. Be good to know that people are listening.
Dave

Last edited:

milkandhoney

could you or someone else upload mp3s of this up on here for those of us who dont live in london please? :D

gd luck with the show tho

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Very good show - particularly liked the Houston rap and hyphy selections. Any chance of getting a tracklisting up here at some point?

stelfox

Beast of Burden
No sooner said than done...

Breaking Ranks 5/4/2006

1) Rap Sucks - Sam Kinison
2) They Don't Know - Paul Wall feat Mike Jones (from the Chick Magnet mixtape)
3) Pourin Up - Pimp C feat Mike Jones & Bun B (From the forthcoming Rap-A-Lot album Pimpalation)
4) Walk That Walk - Kiotti feat Mannie Fresh
5) Do The Mario - DJ Jubilee
6) Gangsterz - Wiley
7) Stryder - Tinchy Stryder (from the I'm Back You Know mixtape)
8) Tell Me When To Go - E-40 feat Keak Da Sneak (from the album My Ghetto Report Card)
9) N.E.W Oakland - Mistah Fab
10) Hyphie - Keak Da Sneak (from the album That's My Word)
11) Ah Ni Kuria - Dr Zeus
12) Sadi Gali - RDB Three
13) Badman Forward Badman Pull Up - Ding Dong
14) Vybsy Versa Love - Vybz Kartel feat. Barrington Levy (From the album JMT)
15) Roba Letheka - Ishmael
16) Kwasa Kwasa - All Stars

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Thanks Mr Stelfox. Pourin Up was AMAZING, and Tell Me When To Go has wound its way into my brain to never leave. And Gangsterz wasn't half bad either. Great selection, look forward to next week. Looking around the 'shanty house' (is that right?) spectrum, any chance of some rai-pop or 2006 reggaeton?

stelfox

Beast of Burden
actually, scratch that. it's going to a be a big one-drop reggae special next week. really looking forward to that, personally.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
big show coming up on wednesday - a whole hour of one-drop niceness, with cuts from turbulence, richie spice, nadine sutherland, QQ and many more, a few cheeky acapellas, shout-outs, birthday wishes and whatever else you want. email shout-out requests to breakingranksradio@yahoo.co.uk along with feedback and anything else you'd like to hear on forthcoming shows.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Sounds good - looking forward to that bounce primer too, as I know next to nothing about it. Is bounce the style pioneered by Choppa etc, or does it have more to do with Cash Money? Or is it something different altogether? Now I'm confusing myself.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
baboon2004 said:
Sounds good - looking forward to that bounce primer too, as I know next to nothing about it. Is bounce the style pioneered by Choppa etc, or does it have more to do with Cash Money? Or is it something different altogether? Now I'm confusing myself.

choppa's a real tiny bit-part player who came much later in the game, although he did have one pretty decent national hit in the states. still, he's not that important in the grand scheme. much more a follower than a leader. pioneers are people like dj jubilee, ice mike, klc and beats by the pound, and the mannie fresh stuff with cash money (his stuff is by no means all in bounce style tho). it's a very rigid structure with almost every song based around various modifications of the "triggerman" rhythm. it's pretty astounding how a lot of it sounds quite different, given that fact. i really rate juvenile, of course, mystikal and soulja slim was pretty great, particularly his album "the streets made me" on no limit.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Ah, OK...must admit to never having heard of any of these people, Mannie Fresh apart of course. Are there any good histories to be read on the Web?

stelfox

Beast of Burden
well, just as a hook into it nik cohn's book "triksta" ain't bad. it's very nik cohn, as much and more about him as the music, but it's got some good stuff in it.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
Breaking Ranks 12/4/06

One Drop, Don't Stop - The Tracklisting

1) Killing Your Sound Acapella - Capleton
2) Notorious - Turbulence
3) I Swear - Chuck Fender
4) Living In Love - I Wayne
5) A No Like We No Like Them - Luciano
6) Uncomfortable - Morgan Heritage
7) Acapella - Bounty Killer
8) Earth Ah Run Red - Richie Spice
9) Hungry - Fantan Mojah
10) Stop Your Bad Mind - Nadine Sutherland
11) t's A Pity - Tanya Stephens
12) Share The Love - Jah Cure & Gentleman
13) Poverty - QQ
14) Got to Be Strong Acapella - Sizzla
15) Footprints - TOK
16) Never Gonna Be The Same - Sean Paul
17) Mama - Gyptian
18) Jah Love - Wayne Wonder
19) One Drop - Bob Marley & The Wailers

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
Are you sure you don't want to put up mp3s of this stuff? I'd love to hear it and, as I said up thread, it's not laziness that's stopping me - it's my work's internet policy.

boomnoise

♫
dave, sorry i've missed the first two shows. haven't checked this dissensus section for weeks. can't wait for the next one. looks like they were both really good. can't wait til next week.