Kwaito resources?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
the following appeared on my blog so apologize if the "voice" sounds a bit... i don't know. weird.

people have brought up the fact that previous world cup songs have not always been representative of their host countries. while this is true, there are some differences:

this is a first for the African CONTINENT. a continent with an amazingly rich musical heritage (THE MOST amazing of all if you ask me, and a few musicologists).

Shakira is singing "waka waka" over an uncredited, unpaid-for rip-off of an old Cameroonian protest song.

Germany, Japan and France were colonialists, and have never been victims of colonialism, and they do not have a history of their music getting stolen and their artists being ripped off, because they were DOING the stealing and ripping off.

so given this context, this ABSOLUTELY should have been a chance for African voices to be heard, and African culture to take the spot light. but sadly, and expectedly, no.

sadly, if the organisers of Live 8 (or whatever the fuck it was called) blanched at putting African musicians at the main concert in London, it was never going to happen at the World Cup...

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I hope it's as good as Bloemfontein Celtic

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

zhao

there are no accidents
Berlin date July 2:
Picture19.png
Picture21.png

ayoba_wire.gif

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
i would imagine that physical CDs will hit shops and amazon with a relative quickness but if you continue to have trouble in the next few weeks i can get more info to you.

mistersloane

Was it pattycakes or routes who mentioned a record warehouse in Capetown that they went to? I can't find any reference to it here now. Maybe I just dreamt it up through wishful thinking. Anyhow anymore music shop CT help would be good, off there on Sunday.

hopper

yeah its called musica and its on the waterfront. its an old warehouse that was converted into a major store. pretty good - get the people to go in there and pick some stuff out for you. Didn't really find anything that caught my ear when I was in there in last month though unfortunately. Try and go to mzoli's which is a major barbeque at one of the local townships that has a couple of good soundsystems and amazing food. Also has a bar showing whatever football is going as well which was really good fun

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
def go mzolis on thursday or sunday night :]
the waterfront place is the only decent branch of musica, all the other ones are rubbish.
also, if you follow main road from its start near the centre about 300metres-ish up on the right hand side near all the taxi stops there is a cd emporium. opposite there is a place you can get a mean bunny chow...

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...

watching this has brought back many fun memories, the sunday open mic sessions are hilariously random and they have a dance after that sometimes turns into a bit of a raveup...... pap and sauce and bit of vors and a bottle of carling black and a lekker spluff and a skinny dip on the way home siiiigh ......

also, an aside, i love the story about the BBC spending gazillions on building some super studio with a view of table mountain for the WC. if they'd asked ANY local person they would've told them that the mountain is pretty much constantly covered by cloud in June!

muser

Alot of that period kwaito basically was slowed down garage, that's how it started! I love that period of the music.

yes I think its great never really noticed it before! I typed garage and kwaito into google shortly after and saw at the top a quote on the wikipedia page from the very DJ Diplo described Kwaito as “slowed-down garage music,”.

Was that a direct influence then or just coincidental? couldnt find anything to say either.

mistersloane

yes I think its great never really noticed it before! I typed garage and kwaito into google shortly after and saw at the top a quote on the wikipedia page from the very DJ Diplo described Kwaito as “slowed-down garage music,”.

Was that a direct influence then or just coincidental? couldnt find anything to say either.

It was a direct influence, kwaito developed out of people in soweto slowing down house tracks cos everyone at that point in the townships was on mandrax and weed and they wanted their vibe a little cooler, and then the chanting over the top kinda went along from there. That Doc Shebeleza track is one of my favourite songs ever.