Music for Babies

D

droid

Is anyone here familiar with Howie B's 'music for babies' LP? I cant vouch for its popularity with the infants, but it is one of the lost ambient classics of the 90s, and by far his best LP...

mms

sometimes
yeah i used to love pictures at an exhibition,by mussorsky, mainly for the canons, holst the planets esp neptune the mystic, peter and the wolf was a fave, captain beaky and his band and pink floyd, the wall.

peter and the wolf is great as a kid as all the characters have little musical motifs, and some of them are gorgeous.

Rambler

Awanturnik
Captain Beaky - yes!

I had some tapes that were set in a zoo - Johnny Morris, maybe? - that had tunes from the Magic Flute on them; whenever I hear that now, I can only associate it with talking llamas and stuff. Debussy's piano music is pretty good too - my dad used to play that all the time when I was a toddler, and it stays with you for your whole life.

I've seen babies being taken to John Cage events at the Barbican, which I thought was pretty cool. Dunno what the babies made of it all though...

mms

sometimes
Rambler said:
Captain Beaky - yes!

I had some tapes that were set in a zoo - Johnny Morris, maybe? - that had tunes from the Magic Flute on them; whenever I hear that now, I can only associate it with talking llamas and stuff. Debussy's piano music is pretty good too - my dad used to play that all the time when I was a toddler, and it stays with you for your whole life.

I've seen babies being taken to John Cage events at the Barbican, which I thought was pretty cool. Dunno what the babies made of it all though...

yeah debussy too, all that impressionist stuff is wicked for kids, you can basically think up a really good short film to midi de la faune and the submerged cathedral, occupies the imagination for a long time, firebird as well, that's lush

egg

Dumpy's Rusty Nut
robin said:
appearently when i was a baby i loved bob marley
my hero... didn't hear any till I was 6 or 7 - but I can still remember the moment it happened.

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
mms said:
yeah debussy too, all that impressionist stuff is wicked for kids, you can basically think up a really good short film to midi de la faune and the submerged cathedral, occupies the imagination for a long time, firebird as well, that's lush
Debussy made a childrens ballet called La Boite a Joujoux (The Toybox). Remains one of my all time favorit pieces of classical music, even though I didn't hear it until I was... hmm... fourteen or something. So not a nostalgic childhood thing for me.

Rambler

Awanturnik
Children's Corner as well, the collection of piano pieces. There's loads of classical stuff for young children, but not specifically babies.

blunt

shot by both sides
No, this is not a thread in which to discuss the mid-90s Howie B album of the same name (tho feel free to reference tracks where appropriate)...

Rather: the wife is up the duff, and I am counting down to the formation of ears upon my babies head, whereupon I plan to introduce it without delay to the wonder that is music.

I'm making a playlist of tunes that engender a sense of total well-being, and I thought I'd throw it out to the good people here, a bit like Woebot's picture book thread - so that it's not just baby that learns something new. So far, I'm thinking along the lines of:

Xtal - Aphex Twin
Port Gentil - Porter Ricks
Consumed - Plastikman
Slowly Surely - Jill Scott (Theo Parrish rmx)
Love on a Real Train - Tangerine Dream
Life's A Gas - Mike Ink
My Funny Valentine - Miles Davis
Where or When - Benny Goodman & Peggy Lee
Good Night - The Beatles

And no doubt there'll be some Eno and Boards of Canada in there too, when I've settled on which ones :)

I plan to start piping in one tune a day sometime in the next fortnight (when ears are accompanied by the ability to actually hear). Really grateful for any suggestions. Give it up! My child's future sanity depends on you...

labrat

hot on the heels of love
when baby emerges I couldn't recommend Raymond Scott's Soothing Sounds for Baby enough (ive seen it work many,many times (3 volumes ascending ages-you'll buy the lot I assure you...)

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
there was an LP mentioned in The Wire last year...

Music By Babies

seriously!

icon28XX.gif

mms

sometimes
try this one - classic fm cd for snobby parents who think their kids will get smarter if they expose em to this gear:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0007WBDQG/026-4848515-0500406

innit
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4558507.stm

probably better than this one tho :
(what was the howie b mid 90's thing actually all about, wonder what he's doing now)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...8521/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_10_2/026-4848515-0500406

i'd try a record by a group called slomo called ' the creep' it's just like a guitar interpretation of the sleeping brain - aural melatonin.

Last edited: