Music for Babies

blunt

shot by both sides
droid said:
Theres a tune off it in this mix [...]

I've seriously considered piping this mix in wholesale, but I think some of it might be a bit too scary :)

If I haven't said it before: I love this mix, droid. And I've found myself repeating the opening Eno quote to anyone who'll listen...

D

droid

blunt said:
I've seriously considered piping this mix in wholesale, but I think some of it might be a bit too scary :)

If I haven't said it before: I love this mix, droid. And I've found myself repeating the opening Eno quote to anyone who'll listen...

:eek: Cheers. Havent gotten round to writing anything about this yet, but if ya like I can link you to the high quality version without the robot voice.

The rest of that Eno interview is very interesting as well... Ill have to upload it...

jenks

thread death
yes - would love to hear the rest of the interview

ps - a copy of the mix without that annoying electronic voice would be good

listening to this mix a lot at night (along with soundslike 1981's latest)

soundslike1981

Hmm. . . seems like this mix could be baby-able:

01 Tangerine Dream - Sequent C (1974)
02 Weather Report - Waterfall (1971)
03 Mozart - Adiagio for Glass Harmonica KV 617a (1791)
04 Chicago Underground Trio - O Sino (1999)
05 Reich - Nagoya Marimbas (1994)
06 Gerald Bole - Moonlight (1980)
07 Toumani Diabate - Salama (1999)
08 Penguin Cafe Orchestra - Harmonic Neclace (1981)
09 Herbert - About This Time Each Day (2001)
10 Moondog - Pastoral (1971)
11 Keith Jarrett - I'm Through With Love (1999)

I made a 'Post-Punk for Two-Year-Olds' mix for my friend, but I can't seem to find it anymore. . . But you're a ways off from that anyway ; )

soundslike1981

I know if/when I have kids, it's going to be so hard to resist the desire to be a personal Dad DJ for them, trying things out at all stages of infancy/toddlerhood/childhood to see what sticks (and to prevent them getting into whatever horrible alternative rock or pop-pap is the thing at that time). Do todlers like Giorgio Moroder? Do babies like 'Music for Airports'? To 5-year-olds like the Wipers? Do little girls prefer Satie or Ravel?

I don't feel *too* guilty about the impulse, because I trace a great deal of the importance of music to me in my life to the times my mother would play/sing us Joni Mitchell tunes on her old nylon-string guitar to help us to sleep.

jenks

thread death
every so often my children redeem themselves with flashes of musical taste - my 7 yr old has developed a genuine interest in the dancehall mixes i've downloaded from here but then blows it by asking if i have any Busted cds.

my 5 yr old ,by contrast, is a great pop fan but i found him bouncing around the room to the necks like a true groover.

any attempt to get your kids to be cool with impeccable taste in music is doomed - there must be a developmental reson for them to like cheesey choons!!!

D

droid

Here we are:

Brian Eno Speaks

Taken from the Sonora Portraits LP/My Life in the Bush of Ghosts Demos.

And: Shwantology - Full Quality with no podcast Idents.

Thinking about doing another one of these once I get my 2nd CDJ fixed. Its had a great response (about 200 downloads and counting), and they are (comparatively) easy to do. Soundslike's mix (which was very nice btw), has given me a few more ideas on how to approach it...

zhao

there are no accidents
Rafael Toral - Electric Babyland

highly recommend anything by Steve Roden. subtle, gentle, endlessly rewarding listening experiences. kind of like eno taken to the next logical step. for instance an EP called Winter Couplet, sourced from the sounds of 2 Chinese tea-cups, inspiration and title taken from an old Chinese poem.

also:

http://www.rafaeltoral.net/02_records/rt/electric_babyland.html

available on Amazon. wordy pitchfork review:

The first five tracks of this new album are sourced from a little music box, comprising almost a half hour of clean rings and distorted metallic melodies either glitched up or left to make a slowly solidifying sustain of held tones. The first half of the record tinkers around without much success, not quite settling to sleep as much as turning restlessly, without a satisfying position of rest. The disc starts to wind up (or perhaps down) with the third piece, "Rdm", plunking the tongs in its most straightforward way. It twinkles like Sun Ra's "Medicine for a Nightmare" melody, the speeds tweaked in the middle as it both warps fast and then slows before finally reaching a shimmering stasis.
"Dne", at nearly ten minutes, is more methodical in its gleaning of the music box melody. It starts off steadfastly, as Toral builds up an incessant plucking. The physical motion almost crackles as the underlying vibration slowly wakens into itself, soon blanketing the track with a very warm dreamscape that seems to embody the deepest stage of beatific sleep.

"My Head on Your Shoulders Feels Like Home" opens the Lullabies section of the album, continuing the music box theme as its foundation. Here, the tinny melody becomes heavily distorted, but its gurgling only coos briefly at a minute or so, and it never has a chance to sink deeper. "Little Stars" recreates the instrument's soft twangs on guitar, approaching the lilt of a lullaby for an indifferent two minutes. The final track, though, "Bodyjoya Mix Pt. 12: Dreaming into the Locked Groove", takes the fuzzy notes of the guitar and rocks them into a low-level hum, and then keeps it on that almost imperceptible plane for a good 13 minutes of dreamy effervescence. It seems less ironic than intentional that the two sleepiest movements of the disc are what keep it interesting in the end.

Andy Beta, Pitchfork

shudder

mms said:
yeah debussy too, all that impressionist stuff is wicked for kids, you can basically think up a really good short film to midi de la faune and the submerged cathedral, occupies the imagination for a long time, firebird as well, that's lush

hmm... there's two of these (i.e. threads) bouncing around now.. I'm nowhere near having children (lord, I'm just finishing school!). but I thought I'd add that for anyone who's read the mallarmé poem that prélude à l'aprés-midi d'un faune is based on won't be able to play it for their kids. The "short film" they might dream up is a mite bit too racy... (images of sexually devouring two twin fauns, one older and experienced, the other younger and vaguely terrified...)

satanmcnugget

well, Marcello's dad used to play him Trout Mask Replica as a kid...when i read that, i almost put my face thru the puter screen...laffs!!!

me...i LOVED Sha Na Na and Three Dog Night as a kid :)

shudder

droid said:
Here we are:

Brian Eno Speaks

Thinking about doing another one of these once I get my 2nd CDJ fixed. Its had a great response (about 200 downloads and counting), and they are (comparatively) easy to do. Soundslike's mix (which was very nice btw), has given me a few more ideas on how to approach it...

Droid this mix is really great. I needed something like this. Quick question: the track at ~46:00, is that the eno "unfamiliar wind" from "on land"? I really dont know my ambient eno, but I really guess I should because I *love* this track (presuming that's what it is)... I know his glammy poppy albums ok (esp, Another Green Work and Here Come the Warm Jets!). Which would be the best ambient eno to get first?

ok, back to babies, who i'm sure love this stuff as much as me.

D

droid

TBH, Im not sure, as theres some tunes that are only in there for a few bars.... Ill check it out - that track is in there somewhere, so youre probably right.

We usually timemark the mixes so that poeople know what track theyre listening to, but it was impossible in this case...

MUSIC FOR AIRPORTS is perfect for babies, but MUSIC FOR BABIES is only good for people on acid.

You might have a point there Buick. Probably why I like it so much.. :D

blunt

shot by both sides
confucius said:
highly recommend anything by Steve Roden

Buick6 said:
MUSIC FOR AIRPORTS - Eno and Robert Wyatt

Thanks for these guys, much appreciated - tho I think I'm gonna go for something off Apollo where Eno's concerned. I'm reading that Moondust book at the mo, and dug it out for some background ambience. Top hole.

Buick6 said:
MUSIC FOR AIRPORTS is perfect for babies, but MUSIC FOR BABIES is only good for people on acid.

... or weed :) Apart from the first track, which I seem to recall has some sound in it about 2/3 of the way thru which makes your bowels feel like they're about to drop out. A bit like something on that FSOL album, Lifeforms. On which note: there must be something on that a baby might dig. I'll have to get it out later...

D

droid

shudder said:
Droid this mix is really great. I needed something like this. Quick question: the track at ~46:00, is that the eno "unfamiliar wind" from "on land"? I really dont know my ambient eno, but I really guess I should because I *love* this track (presuming that's what it is)... I know his glammy poppy albums ok (esp, Another Green Work and Here Come the Warm Jets!). Which would be the best ambient eno to get first?

Ok - I was wrong about that. At 46:00, we have a mix of about 5 tunes going on, first up is 35. Future Sound Of London - Dirty Shadows - EBV (I.S.D.N. LP) - which is the distant echoed out strings just fading out. Mixed through that was 37. Being - Cue - Leaf (Invisible Soundtracks 1 EP), which had that cheesy regular pulsing noise, and drops into a bassy breakdown around this point, next up is 36. Aphex Twin - Side E Track 2 - Warp (Selected Ambient Works 2 LP), which is layered quite low in the mix along with, 38. Deasy – Haul (Ambient mix) - The Fear (Unreleased), and last but not least, the dubbed out sitar and kraftwerk swooshes are all from 39. David Bowie/Brian Eno - Moss Garden - RCA (Heroes LP), timestretched down to about - 50% on the CDJs... oh - theres also a bit of 40. Reza Tahami - Manjil Wood: River and Insects - SoundTransit Field Recordings in there to add a bit of organic texture...

Hope that helps! :D

Best Eno Album for a newbie would be Music for Films/On Land, also The Pearl with Harold Budd. The obvious choice would be 'Apollo'... but TBH, I find it uncharacteristically saccharine. Music for Airports is another classic, but its essentially 4 treatments of the same track... Bang on a can's cover version LP is a bit more interesting...

jenks

thread death
droid said:
Here we are:

Brian Eno Speaks

Thanks for these droid - a wizard and true star, as someone once said (wonder what the dissensus is on Todd R?)

D

droid

jenks said:
Thanks for these droid - a wizard and true star, as someone once said (wonder what the dissensus is on Todd R?)

Did I really say '200 downloads'? - mustve been my humility circuits kicking in... I meant 2000! (If you can believe that).

This jungle/dancehall mixing is a mugs game... The real moneys obviously in avant garde/ambient sets! ;)

dave

the day today tonight
my 1 year old boy likes dub and poppy techno the most. i've got a hilarious video of him shaking his booty (to a track on trapez) while diggin' the crates.