Big Big Riddims 2005 - 2006

boomnoise

♫
droid said:
IMO riddims and guitars (electric or acoustic) dont mix. Apart from the 'bam', I cant think of a single riddim I rate highly that has a guitar lick.

you're not felling the wipeout riddim then!

D

droid

Dont think Ive heard it yet. Im not to keen on the hundreds of riddims named 'fiesta/latino/mexican' though...

Eric

Mr Moraigero
the guitar in bad english is pretty great imo. wipe out .. I like it but it doesn't seem like it has much of a shelf life. drop leaf was great but I cant stand to ever hear it again at this point (except the sizzla voicing anyway).

Eric

Mr Moraigero
and chinkuzi isnt THAT bad is it??? really? its not red alert or even bionic ras but come on ... surely it doesn't deserve being put in the same class as heavenly!!

stelfox

Beast of Burden
well, heavenly wouldn't be that bad if it weren't for the fact that most of the voicings are total ass and the fact that the shifts in vendetta's one-drop riddims are so incremental compared to the massive variety of his jiggy business. i mean, drop leaf, seasons and heavenly are almost inseparable. the drop leaf was and still is wicked and tho the sizzla is good, TOK take it by a mile.

Clubberlang

I agree that Chinkuzi is weaker than the other SRC riddims (although Chinkuzi's Revenge rates with any of them IMO) so I can see the disappointment thing. The absolutely blows comment seems overkill. It's not bad at all.

gabriel

The Heatwave
relative to the producers' previous output, i think it is fair to say it 'absolutely blows' - the riddim is a bit lame and none of the vocals are very good except the bounty killer

relative to most other music, even much other dancehall, chinkuzi is pretty good

stelfox

Beast of Burden
it's not very good. it's a boring, rigid, house-paced riddim with nowhere near as much swing as, say, the jonkanoo or arif cooper's move. it also has way less punch than the applause and is about a 10th as good as anything i expect from south rakkas crew. also pretty much all the voicings i've heard are wack. is this ok!??!

dubble-u-c

Dorkus Maximus
stelfox said:
it's not very good. it's a boring, rigid, house-paced riddim with nowhere near as much swing as, say, the jonkanoo or arif cooper's move. it also has way less punch than the applause and is about a 10th as good as anything i expect from south rakkas crew. also pretty much all the voicings i've heard are wack. is this ok!??!

Of course not :)

Cuz I like it -you have to as well. lol.

zhao

there are no accidents
I like Chinkuzi too... cuz I can mix all my minimal techno with it! :p it'd be hot to slip this one into a house set...

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
just had another listen to Redbull and Guiness... it is a mess! the sound is ALL FLAT! sounds like a badly compressed mp3! can NOT believe they'd let such unprofessional riddim out on the streets, and i can NOT believe so many artists have used it!

john eden

male pale and stale
loving Confessions... rootsy and achingly sweet. anyone else feeling this?

yes yes, one of the best kinds of that riddim for ages! I'm just sorry that the one drop thing can't often match up to its impact.

Check RSI Radio thing I did for some other stuff like that - Burn Dem riddim, "Policeman" by Joseph Hill (RIP :( ) and a great Sizzla tune called "Chant Them Down".

zhao

there are no accidents
John, I forgot to mention that I first heard Confessions on your RSI radio show. I had burnt one of the episodes to CD and heard it in the car and was like OH MY!

so thank you for that. you do mumble a bit and sometimes I can't understand a word of what you are saying, but there are indeed some good tunes. cheers!

actually, what would you call this kind of riddim? is there a name for it?

and while I'm at it... actually I will put this in the "questions always wanted to ask" thread.

Last edited: