Big Big Riddims 2005 - 2006

john eden

male pale and stale
so thank you for that. you do mumble a bit and sometimes I can't understand a word of what you are saying, but there are indeed some good tunes. cheers!

actually, what would you call this kind of riddim? is there a name for it?

and while I'm at it... actually I will put this in the "questions always wanted to ask" thread.

You are very welcome - good to hear people liked it. Planning number two now.

Good to hear about the mumbling also - it was the least mumbly take mainly because I turned the mic up. First time I've done it all myself and it was done (mainly) in one take so quite a few things to do between swapping over tunes and thinking about what to say! :D - but I sometimes mumble at the best of times in less hyped moments, so will have to work on it.

Confessions is kind of a one drop riddim but it's harder than most and better than most. I was thinking today that the one drop versions of old riddims are generally much less powerful which is really bizarre. But yes a proper discussion of what is one drop would be good as well because I'm fairly sure I haven't quite got it right....

gabriel

The Heatwave
confessions is very similar to the hard times riddim, you should check the latter if you like the former.

john i agree, the main problem i have with new roots music is that it so rarely has that heaviness that old roots has. hard times is an exception to this, i think it's pretty fat. so many riddims sound kind of tinny though

john eden

male pale and stale
confessions is very similar to the hard times riddim, you should check the latter if you like the former.

john i agree, the main problem i have with new roots music is that it so rarely has that heaviness that old roots has. hard times is an exception to this, i think it's pretty fat. so many riddims sound kind of tinny though

It's a bit weird and I can't decide whether it's a deliberate reaction against the more head-banging ragga stuff or if it's simply quite hard to replicate the old riddims well using (limited) current studio technology...

Or maybe it's just my tastes - people still seem to go mad for "dropleaf", don't they?

gabriel

The Heatwave
too early for a 2007 re-up...?

yeah - only one riddim out so far in 2007, cheerful, courtesy of jah snowcone (who produced the applause riddim). haven't heard it yet but cuts include beenie man & ms thing, cobra, mr vegas, elephant man, degree, cecile, voicemail, spragga benz & wyclef jean...

zhao

there are no accidents

got hard times a while back. also "more hard times", "even more hard times", and "way more hard times". luv luv luv it to death. strange that the strong voicings are very strong (i-wayne just MURDERS his - hats off), and the weak ones are very weak.

more recommendations on new riddims? especially the new rootsy ones like hard times! I've been mixing these in with the Dubstep sets -- like peanut butter and chocolate (or maybe weed and hennessy) :D

zhao

there are no accidents
Shaolin Temple riddim is pure fucking evil.

also Last War is nice and apocalyptic.

recommendations?