Jungle/Drum & Bass - Breaking News, gossip, commentary, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

tate

Brown Sugar
Slothrop said:
Forthcoming Breakage album? When? And with who?
on Bassbin. I had thought it was scheduled for a May 22 release, but others (Don Rosco, Droid, Naphta, et al) will know better. Entitled "This Too Shall Pass." Clips are available online, say at Breakbeat Science and elsewhere.

EDIT: regarding stateside availability, the folks at breakbeat science just confirmed that it will ship June 5th

there's a video promo thing at breakage's myspace page

Last edited:

Logos

Ghosts of my life
These days I'm much less interested in hearing mashed up breakbeat tricknology than I was 2 or 3 years ago...much rather hear interesting tunes with space and groove. Hearing people take off acid rain in 2006 is kind of boring.

Sileni, Martsman, Graphic I like a lot. Some Paradox stuff, Macc, Fracture and Neptune's widescreen moments.

@Ned - get hold of the latest issue of Knowledge with the Clever mix on.

mms

sometimes
Tate said:
on Bassbin. I had thought it was scheduled for a May 22 release, but others (Don Rosco, Droid, Naphta, et al) will know better. Entitled "This Too Shall Pass." Clips are available online, say at Breakbeat Science and elsewhere.

EDIT: regarding stateside availability, the folks at breakbeat science just confirmed that it will ship June 5th

there's a video promo thing at breakage's myspace page

yeah i've heard the promo and it's bloody good all the way through, just well made, imaginative deeper kind of drum and bass.

Rambler

Awanturnik
droid said:
Check out Naphta B2B with Polska, playing all his own material.... This is what I'm into... sample driven, raggatastic without being ironic, and most importantly - no locked down tick-tock 2 steps!

Liking this a lot at the moment. I've never heard Naphta put a foot wrong.

bassnation

the abyss
Rambler said:
Liking this a lot at the moment. I've never heard Naphta put a foot wrong.

yes, big thanks for those mixes droid, absolutely wicked. you say this is all new stuff? i sense a record buying orgy coming on....

D

droid

Unfortunatly ALL of the Naphta stuff featured there is unsigned/soon to be signed, so it may be a few moons before they make it to wax, but the good news is he has a pile of stuff near completion thats of roughly the same standard, so some of it might leak through on the blog or in digital format while youre waiting...

Good to know theres some love out there for this stuff. Im hardly an objective commentator - but Ive been very impressed by his output over the last 6 months or so - gives me hope that maybe 'jungle' aint so dead after all...

tate

Brown Sugar
Don't know whether to put this here or on the dubstep thread --

Offshore's "Twitchy Droid Leg" remix series continues with the goodies: a scheduled release that will be sure to turn some heads, namely, a remix by Vex'd, scheduled for release September '06. Will be the flip of Martsman's TDL rmx (which is fantastic, btw), OSR018. Brett Cleaver is one fine fellow, I must say.

tate

Brown Sugar
And Martyn's "3024 Robot Mix" rmx of "I Am Metal" by Graphic ft. Beans, coming this July on Offshore. Tasty.

Last edited:

tate

Brown Sugar
elgato said:
What do people think to Breakage's 12 with Jubei (?!) on Emcee Records? Not a massive fan of the A, but im really really feeling the B side 'Still There' - very interesting to hear him work with step programmed beats...it brings a completely fresh, minimal feel. Does anyone know who Jubei is?
I kind of like the A side, "Harvester," picked it up in Chicago in March. But I knew the tune already from Equinox's June 1st 2005 Technicality mix. Harvester is the second tune in, the mix is available for download at the Inperspective Records site, in the mixes section -- click on Equinox.

As for Jubei, he has a myspace profile; also a brief interview with him here.

tate

Brown Sugar
evergreen said:
Tate where/when do you spin? I'd love to hear "9th Hand" on a dancefloor...
upstate once a week, but if you're ever in the area and would like to play, let me know. I still pull out your "One-Armed Junglist" mix from last year and always enjoy it (opening w/ the seba rmx of the nine mixed into exoteric was ace; also loved that you closed with oS' panama).

dave

the day today tonight
Don Rosco said:
I'm really liking Martyn's stuff as well - there's a lovely detroit vibe off a lot of his tunes. Jonny L is up to no 5 on Mr L, his new label. Every one has been fucking slamming. He's such a freak. Such confidence, he just lashes down a fucked up groove and runs with it, and he's got these mad vocals on a lot of the tunes, real minimal & militant.

Of course, the Breakage album rolls like a motherfucker too. Proper haunting, dub vibes. The Amit album too, then there's the glitchy crew - Martsman, Sileni et al. Proper funk!
nice one rosco - i toally agree - you just saved me 2 minutes of typing.

mms

sometimes
Tate said:
And Martyn's "3024 Robot Mix" rmx of "I Am Metal" by Graphic ft. Beans, coming this July on Offshore. Tasty.

the original of that is ace .
really futuristic stuff

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
on the new school ragga jungle tip, my girl got this tune a month or two ago which is on the Top Ranking label, it's a remix of a Richie Spice tune. It's amazing, they build a loop out of samples of the original roots tune and then save the amen for the chorus drop, the combination of big melodic drop and amen rinse is really powerful. A lot of old ragga tunes would save their vocals for a drop and then just cut into drums and bass for the amen parts, one of my favorite aspects of the new school mashup tunes is mixing the song format/amen drop style, putting the chorus AND big jungle drop at the same time, really devestating.

Sorry to be vague, haven't got the 12" handy, can dig it out if needed. Thing there's a less good Earth A Run Red rmx on the flip.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Re the Amit LP, I hoped it might be mind blowing but was sadly underwhelmed. It's so percussive and feature/formless outside of the amazing 'Village People.'

Troy

31 Seconds
Human

Wondering what the Dissensians thought of the new Dieselboy compilation, "Human Resource".

I know what the response will be, but what is strange is that to me it sounds like Dubstep on a bad methamphetamine trip. Same colors and vibe. Wobbly basslines, claustrophobic technical tone. Killer breaks and edits. Futuristic samples and vibe...

Eh?

tate

Brown Sugar
Not news, but since so few journalists ever deign to discuss dnb thoughtfully (Jess Harvell excepted), it was nice to read Martin Clark's reflections on last year's Calibre album in the context of a discussion of grime and dubstep (and the importance of London to the latter two).

I might note that 'leaving the city walls in order to gain perspective' is one of the oldest experiences recorded in extant western writing: Plato's Phaedrus is built around such a scene, though there are others (you'll understand what I mean if you read his post). Nice one, Blackdown.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.