Jungle/Drum & Bass - Breaking News, gossip, commentary, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Rosco

I'm really, really loving Set the World on Fire at the moment. It's kind of retro, harking back to the blissful 94 styles, before atmos got all smoothed out and bland. Gorgeous!

echevarian

babylon sister
Has anyone been paying attention to the Current Value/Counterstrike/Evol Intent side of things lately? I'm not much of a D'N'B head but this stuff is just.... weird.

Like trackier, more streamlined Venetian Snares kind of stuff.

Sounds like half gabba, almost happy hardcore repetitive.

But there's something just so anti-pleasure about the whole thing its almost avante garde.

Reminds me of the most a-musical grindcore, mindless repetitive hard-on noise.

I can get into some noise though.

I think I'd have to be doing crystal to actually like some of it.

But as music I think this deserves the same kind of evaluation that the most out there black metal does, its interesting and deserves some kind of analysis.

evergreen

Inperspective are back on track, with Breakage's "Panic Room / Circumference" and Pieter K's "One Of Them / Set The Record Straight" finally on wax.

hopefully in 07--

INP016 - Alpha Omega

A: Modulationz
AA1: Safehouse
AA2: Dry Eye

INP017 - Macc & dgoHn

A: Internal Ropes (DgoHn)
AA1: Wossat (Macc & dgoHn)
AA2: Fake Bus (Macc)

INP018 - Senses

A: Darkest Self (Working Title)
AA: Expand:Contract (Shotgun Camel Remix)

INP019 - ASC

A: Windchime 2007
AA: Offworld Tides 2007

elgato

I just dont know
is deep blue still making music?

i guess the offshore 12 was only a year ago or something, but i'd be interested to see which direction he's moving in now

Last edited:

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
Nothing has quite superseded my love for Krumble's 'Fat Girl' from last year, it's a text book demonstration of how to re-invent jungle>>>

Jungle%20Therapy%202022.jpg

tate

Brown Sugar
is deep blue still making music?

i guess the offshore 12 was only a year ago or something, but i'd be interested to see which direction he's moving in now
Yes, the "Who Got The Beats?" 12" on Offshore came out fairly early in '06 and was a nice one, but I'd guess that his full-length album, Metropolitain Chic, from 2005, is still fairly representative of what he has been up to. He also did a mix using Ableton for knowledge mag in 2005 (wasn't all that crazy about the mix myself, but it had some nice moments). The track "Open Love," from Metropolitain, also appeared on Clever's recent Unsung Heroes mix, from spring '06.

@ evergreen: Yes indeed! Inperspective continue to keep the standards high with top releases: I got the Breakage tune that you mentioned on promo late winter, "Circumference" is a monster - and yeah, nice to see the full release, esp since the tune has been around for more than two years. And as I've said 'round here before, I think that Macc is making some of the best music around atm, and I'm a huge fan of dgoHn as well, both alone and in tandem with Bob. dgoHn's live set from IchiOne this year was a scorcher (and showcased the inperspective releases, wossat, and internal ropes, in addition to elle, out soon on Subtle Audio).

I'm also really looking forward to hearing the latest Subvert Central release, with Fracure & Neptune, Sileni, and Dissident, which I will soon have in hand (it's in the mail). Also, the new Polska full length is just out, and I can't wait to hear it. From my vantage point, in terms of the quality and musicality of the tunes that were released in 2006, leftfield jungle had a great year.

elgato

I just dont know
Yes, the "Who Got The Beats?" 12" on Offshore came out fairly early in '06 and was a nice one, but I'd guess that his full-length album, Metropolitain Chic, from 2005, is still fairly representative of what he has been up to. He also did a mix using Ableton for knowledge mag in 2005 (wasn't all that crazy about the mix myself, but it had some nice moments). The track "Open Love," from Metropolitain, also appeared on Clever's recent Unsung Heroes mix, from spring '06.

yeh that CD is winging its way to me as i type (i hope!). very excited

From my vantage point, in terms of the quality and musicality of the tunes that were released in 2006, leftfield jungle had a great year.

i think leftfield drum & bass too... sileni and martsman in particular came through (to my knowledge anyhow) as massive artists pushing the sound in whole new directions. as much as i love jungle, i find myself at times questioning its value outside of just making buff tunes, wheras Martsman in particular blew my head off, he's brought such an incredibly fresh vibe, so progressive. i'll still always buy the drumfunk stuff, and love it, but i do wonder where its going sometimes. the new subvert central compilation is pushing things forward though, i really need to pick that up. alpha omega also, his tracks on subvert central 1 and on counter intelligence were massive, and so fresh

mixed_biscuits

But as music I think this deserves the same kind of evaluation that the most out there black metal does, its interesting and deserves some kind of analysis.

The amount of thought put into some of the current darker stuff (eg. on Barcode) is staggering. The 'problem' is that the thought is put into creating innumerable perfectly-produced details, whilst the general composition of the tunes (structure/use of mood) sticks to a predictable formula, which formula is no longer enough to give old ardkore fans the horn.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
i'll still always buy the drumfunk stuff, and love it, but i do wonder where its going sometimes.
I'm a bit hazy on where the dividing lines lie, but I'm really feeling positive about leftfield dnb and leftfield jungle at the moment - there's a sense that there's a one step backwards (to 97 era Metalheadz mainly) two steps forward thing going on and it's just moving into the two steps forward stage.

the new subvert central compilation is pushing things forward though
Yep. Also (off the top of my head) Time Travelling / Soul Sauce by Cloak and Dagger, So Far by Macc (or pretty much anything else by Macc, the man's a genius) and a lot of Fanu's stuff.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
Personally I'm not really feeling most of Fanu's stuff at the moment, although I used to love it, but he's releasing a couple of Naphta's 'soundclash' projects which I've been waiting for for literally years. I think they're out next week in fact. A lot of people on here will like them I'm sure.

Definitely the freshest, most authentic sounding jungle around, especially compared to all that messy new school ragga jungle crap...

Don Rosco

Yeah, the soundclash tunes are really good, as is a hell of a lot of Naphta's stuff. There's plans afoot to get a lot of his output from the last few years out there, and i'm delighted. Once that's out he plans to make some more slower stuff with the occasional political edge. He's such a puritan / nazi that he refuses to listen to dubstep in case it influences him! Crazy old bastard. Easily my most played artist of the last couple of years though.

found this on youtube

Nice. Bit of Blue Note footage at the end there too. It's hard to remember sometimes just how fucking great jungle was, but, by god, it was great.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
He's such a puritan / nazi that he refuses to listen to dubstep in case it influences him! Crazy old bastard.

That really surprises me considering the myriad of musical styles that influenced all the hardcore and jungle he holds so dear :)

He always seems fairly interested in what's happening on subvert central as well.. most odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.