things you have noticed.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
This storm lark is laughable, only the British could take a bit blowy and spin it into an apocalyptic vision

Another reason the druids didn’t last. “Rome? We’ll fill those fish-paste eating bastards right in”. Where ya now, lads

IdleRich

IdleRich
This weekend there is some sort of carnival in Lisbon. I'm not sure which days precisely but just now I heard a loud banging from the street which scared the fuck out of the cat and turned out to be a random carnival float which has presumably got lost or something and is wandering round Santa Iria pissing people off.

Floatpic.jpg

IdleRich

IdleRich
Oh I've nothing against it. I might go down to some of the parties. Sometimes it can be a bit overwhelming if you're not in the right mood and you get caught up in it, but on the whole I quite like it. I'm glad it happens for sure.
I see that my comment above does look a bit negative but I was just talking bollocks really. I was surprised to see that thing but I went and waved at those people - and I tried to take the cat but he wasn't having any of it.

IdleRich

IdleRich
They have more than one carnival type thing here. There is one - not this one I think - which is really crazy, some of the narrow streets are just utterly jampacked like the moshpit or something at a gig. And those streets are residential, it has a different feel to Notting Hill Carnival cos of the narrowness of the streets. There is something fun about that but I can't take it too long. What I do like is some people kinda block off their streets and do bbqs and give all their neighbours sardines etc I would like to get in on that action.

IdleRich

IdleRich
what kind of music do they play?
I think it's quite varied. I mean everyone piles into the streets and so in some places you just get what the loudest speaker dangling out of a window is playing. There may be some kinda official music in the streets but I've not heard it. Also you get some parties that are affiliated with the carnival, like last year I went to one at Damas which was... well, it was loads of outrageous fabulous men in fluffy bikinis twerking on the speakers to aggressive gay baile funk or something. But also I went to a carnival party at ZdB and it was just kinda techno and house, there was nothing that really linked it to carnival except that it happened while the carnival was on and so everyone was getting wankered on a Tuesday or whatever. And ZdB is normally more like an arty venue so you wouldn't tend to have that sort of thing there (though having said that, DJ Assault played there in December so not everything there is totally cerebral).
One of my friends is keen to go to something on Monday that is part of the carnival and I would like to go after I've played football cos I aint seen him for a while. If I do I will report back. I guess that will be a gay thing again.... in fact I messaged him now seeing as you're asking and he replied "There’s several djs Carnival mood" which doesn't really tell me much - he's not a music guy really in that sense I suppose.

Leo

They have more than one carnival type thing here. There is one - not this one I think - which is really crazy, some of the narrow streets are just utterly jampacked like the moshpit or something at a gig. And those streets are residential, it has a different feel to Notting Hill Carnival cos of the narrowness of the streets. There is something fun about that but I can't take it too long. What I do like is some people kinda block off their streets and do bbqs and give all their neighbours sardines etc I would like to get in on that action.

I grew up across the street from a Portuguese church, and they had an annual feast in the churchyard in August. it was a blast, could buy chunks of meat that they put on metal skewers that were about 4 or feet long and you'd roast them over a huge fire pit and make sandwiches with fresh Portuguese rolls. booze, bands, crazy church fundraising auctions where people would show off and bid hundreds of dollars for a massa (Portuguese sweet bread) and then donate it back so it could auctioned off again.

wasn't unusual to find a person or two passed out on our front yard.

Last edited:

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
i'd like to go to a proper carnival once. in germany and holland it's so bleak and miserable. people that could be your parents completely wasted, everything and everyone smelling of vomit and dried up beer stains, cold and grey february weather with a wind that cuts right through your clothes and worst of all, the most abominable music imaginable.

Leo

pretty grim. go to Mardi Gras in New Orleans, or better yet carnival in rio, your head would probably explode.

Last edited:

woops

is not like other people
i'd like to go to a proper carnival once. in germany and holland it's so bleak and miserable. people that could be your parents completely wasted, everything and everyone smelling of vomit and dried up beer stains, cold and grey february weather with a wind that cuts right through your clothes and worst of all, the most abominable music imaginable.
this is germany and holland all year round isn't it?

Benny Bunter

I went to the carnival in Cadiz once and my abiding memory is of the literal rivers of urine flowing down the streets at 6 in the morning as the festivities drew to a close.

Benny Bunter

I like the European mode of drinking 'for pleasure' as opposed to just getting smashed like in the UK, but festivals are to be avoided.