Cycling

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Fuck me. That was far from boring!

That Millar article conflates boring and easy for some reason- has anyone argued this year's Tour has been easy?

jenks

thread death
watched the stage live with Junior Jenks. We were both on our feet screaming for Cav at the end - absolutely mindblowing stuff.

as far as easier - i suppose fewer mountain top finishes might constitute easier but some of the new hills are absolute bastards. The weather has been fair - no major downpours or vicious winds to contend with. It's a bloody hard race and I think it appears easier cos Brad and co have made it look so. However, only Brad and Froome have consistently been in the top 15 on every stage and Brad has never been lower than second place, I think.

Love the way Wiggo led the leadout today.

benjybars

village elder.
Love the way Wiggo led the leadout today.

yeah he's done that a couple of times this year... such a good sight

apparently the bbc cycling correspondent asked the team sky director if wiggins would lead out cavendish on the champs elysees and he said 'that would be nice'

:)

jenks

thread death
benjybars;288145 apparently the bbc cycling correspondent asked the team sky director if wiggins would lead out cavendish on the champs elysees and he said 'that would be nice' :)[/QUOTE said:
wouldn't it just.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
I wouldn't say it's been a boring race but I do think it's been clear since quite early on that the main excitement wouldn't be in the race for the overall. I've enjoyed the mountain stages mainly for the races for the stage wins and for breakaway dudes like Voekler and up-&-comers like Pinot geting in the mix, anything else like Nibali making a little attack has been a bonus but again was clear that it wouldn't affect things much.

I don't have a problem saying Wiggins himself is boring but that's fine, boring wins races and it's better than having a race leader who's obviously doping, also like jenks was saying it's just nice having a UK sportsman who's not a 'heroic failure' type.

connect_icut

In my defence, I just meant that one stage was boring, not the whole Tour. I've enjoyed the race a lot this year, although most of the real fun has been away from the GC, as far as I'm concerned. Some interesting new personalities and talents emerging, that's for sure.

jenks

thread death
I feel like I have entered a parallel universe where every media outlet, twitterpost and facebook comment is about cycling - something i never believed could happen.
This weekend I have had to answer so many questions about bikes and today for my usual ride the road was teeming with weekend warriors. Brilliant, just brilliant.

btw anyone else on strava - I'm Dan Jenkins on it of anyone wants to follow.

hucks

Your Message Here
Back in 2009 I wrote on this forum:

smug face.

Mystic Jenks! My cycle mad mate has been much the same, says he can't believe how popular the tour's become, especially compared to a few years back when it was disgraced year after year by cheating.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Because the only sports the media understands are football, golf, tennis and cricket, lets focus on fashion, OK?

Bradley Wiggins: What is a mod?

"If sport replicated life, Bradley Wiggins would have ridden up the Champs Elysees on a shiny Lambretta scooter"

"His thin torso, narrow shoulders and surprising lightness - he reportedly weighs less than 11 stone - makes him an unusual modern athlete."

"Amphetamines - often called blues - were a central part of the mod existence, whereas Wiggins has made it clear that he has no time for doping in cycling."

WTFF?

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Women's road race in the Olympics was really good I though, held my attention more than the men's - think the smaller field/teams + shorter course made it more focused.
BBC cycling commentator seems kind of inept though.

viktorvaughn

trot is ace

she remind me of this chap when smiling
Alan+Cummings+2006+GQ+Men+Year+Awards+RpNjmAtgkOsl.jpg

matt b

Indexing all opinion
So, it appears that winter has already started in the north and I need a new winter cycling jacket.

I have been looking at this for a while, but it's expensive.

But do you lot have other recommendations?

Simon78

I've got an Assos 851 jacket, bit Star Trek looking but it was quality last winter. Going to get another one soon actually.

That Castelli jacket is a bit cheaper at Sigma

jenks

thread death
The Gore Bike Wear Contest 2.0 Active Shell Jacket at Wiggle looks pretty good for the money. And the Assos mentioned above - can't go wrong.
Also prendas usually good deals on Exteondo gear which is pretty reliable.
I have a Rapha lightweight softshell which they don't make anymore and would recommend if you ever see anyone flogging one on ebay. Personally, i think it's a much more useful jacket than their full softshell. A decent jacket, a gilet and a long sleeved merino baselayer will see you through almost anything in winter.

Simon78

Rapha have got the Pro Team Jacket which looked good in the shop when I was in there the other day. Pretty much the same price as the Castelli one though. I was tempted, but I'm sticking with the 851 as it was perfect last winter.

Just wore it with a Prendas L/S base layer underneath and it was toasty.