Cycling

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Cheers you 2. I'm going to have to do a trawl of the local bike shops as well, before commiting.

Up here, you need to add gloves, foot protection, some long shorts and a hat to your list Jenks.

Unfortunately Rapha stuff screams 'dentist' a little too much- a guy on my train to work has the entire Rapha collection (inc. the yak leather shoes), a C59 and a Dogma 2. Which seems more than a bit excessive.

(he can't climb hills though).

matt b

Indexing all opinion
^ the above comments are, of course based purely on cycling ability and needs, not jealousy. Oh no.

jenks

thread death
Matt - yep some shoe covers are useful, as are thin thermal socks. I usually wear unpadded tights with bibs shorts underneath or knee/leg warmers. My knees only see the sun between the months of June and August. A cap does as good a job as a hat (and it fits neatly under a helmet), one of those collars or a good silk/cotton scarf is also useful. And a pair of sealskinz gloves.

As far as Rapha goes, there is definitely a backlash as it is the preferred brand of the all the gear and no idea brigade. They used to make about a dozen things well and now their product range is huge - still all good quality but at a premium. No surprise the Dogma 2 guy has Rapha - he's going to enjoy the winter wind on that esp if he's got the dura ace mid section wheels!

matt b

Indexing all opinion
I have the full gamut from thin tights to proper roubaix full length bibs, cap to wooly hat, depending on the weather. It can get proper brutal on the moors.

I was once recommended some battery powered heated socks, but aesthetically such things are unacceptable.

I just want to have a good go-to jacket for cold days, rather than pissing about with multiple layers as I do now.

Simon78

Ha, I've got some Rapha and a Colnago, no Yak leather shoes though or a dentist's wages unfortunately. I like the Rapha stuff myself, used to pick up a bit in the sample sale which made the price a lot more reasonable. I prefer the Assos stuff though.

The merino winter collar thing was great last winter and alright at £25.

For my feet I always go with Woolie Boolie socks, they're the best. Can't remember what overshoes I've got? They were decent though although I trash the bottom of the left one pretty quick clipping in my pedals all the time in London (so many traffic lights).

All the Castelli stuff I've got is great so I'm sure that jacket is really nice. I'm off to Sigma on Saturday to pick up a seatpost (been waiting 3 months for it but 3T have been on holiday) so I'll check it out and see what its like.

Simon78

I keep looking at getting a pub bike I can just ride around when its shitty out but I've only got a small flat so haven't really got the room. I haven't had my new bike long and I guess there's no point keeping it indoors over the winter so its going to have to get used in all weather. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Although I did wimp out going to Cambridge last Sunday as it was pissing it down.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Turns out we're down in London at the end of the month, so will do a bit of a trawl then. I hate to say this, but the Rapha hardshell looks very appealing

Simon78

Turns out we're down in London at the end of the month, so will do a bit of a trawl then. I hate to say this, but the Rapha hardshell looks very appealing

They've got all the jackets and that in the new cafe they've opened in town. Its just off Regent St.

I had a look at the Castelli one for you when I was in Sigma at the weekend. Looks really nice. Windproof Softshell material on the outside with a Roubaix lining at the front. The back is slightly thinner so you don't get too hot I guess. Its got zips under the arms to ventilate and you can undo the sleeves at the cuffs as well. 3 pockets at the back.

It didn't seem to have any reflective bits on it though so maybe the red would be best in the winter? Not sure how long you're in London but they had a few other jackets in Sigma as well, its in Kingston which is about 20 mins on the train from Waterloo. I'm sure there are places in the centre that stock Castelli though.

I just got another 851 in the post today :D

jenks

thread death
Pilgrimage to Condor this Saturday with this month's pay packet burning a hole in my pocket.

jenks

thread death
Why am I not surprised Benjy? If you live in a place without a decent bike shop it's quite useful to be able to go into a shop like Condor and see all the stuff in one place and actually try stuff on rather than play cycle size lottery via online shops. Also, you get one of the good guys (Spanish bloke called Angel, I think for example) you get good service - after years of getting all kinds of grief with shoes, they sorted me out properly and didn't rinse me either.
Wouldn't buy a bike or a set of wheels from them, for that I'd be a bit more choosy.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Anyone following the latest Lance Armstrong stuff? What's gonna happen now, are the UCI gonna contest what the USADA have said or is Armstrong finally fucked?

viktorvaughn

He sounds like a right old bully, you get the feeling he'll never admit anything despite the mountains of evidence building up..

jenks

thread death
USADA have played this very well - making sure that there really is no other way to read the situation. The way that they have used what could have been discredited - Landis and Tyler's evidence as merely a starting point then weaving their testimony in with the good ole boys of US cycling - Hincapie, Zabriskie, Liepheimer - to create an absolutely damning indictment of Armstrong - like something out of a twenties mob - he ran the town.

The real crime is the way that McQuaid and Verbruggen are going after long time critic of doiping in sport - Kimmage. Suing him personally and using all their muscle toshut him up - cyclists have rallied round to form a defence fund that is now around $50k.

there's more to come...

jenks

thread death
Went to Herne Hill (out door velodrome, complete with banking and the last remaining venue from London 1948 still in use) today and rode on a track for the first time - still buzzin' now even after three hours to calm down. Hired the bikes, got some basic training and even took part in a race (6th out of 21, for those interested), i would really recommend it to anyone in easy reach of South London. I am guessing there are places up north as well as the velodrome in Manchester. Think No1 son and I are going to try and get a go at Stratford when it finally opens its doors to the public.

craner

Beast of Burden
All of this stuff about Lance is fascinating, and illuminates both the difficulty but also the ease of evading testers. I wrote about this in August after the Olympics, because I fear there is a massive, future, maybe sport-destroying scandal brewing there, too. Yes, I have some doubts about Usaine Bolt.