CRICKET!! breaking news, gossip, lies, whatever etc..

luka

anyone caught any of the aus/SA test? always a joy to see a team with hayden and ponting in it lose....

hucks

Your Message Here
Pietersen quits?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/jan/07/kevin-pietersen-england-captain-resigns

All week it's been about how Moores was going to get sacked, then this morning the papers were saying they were both in trouble and now this.

I can't see much good coming of this. As much as he might be an arse, he is England's only world class batsman, and he'll probably disappear to the IPL now.

Edit: Apparently Moores has quit, too

Last edited:

hucks

Your Message Here
What! This is crazy. Is Strauss even good enough to be captain? Guess there aren't many other options.

There really aren't. Who, appart from Pietersen, is good enough to guarnatee a place in the side? Only Flintoff, and we know he can't be captain.

crackerjack

yes. he is.

although under these circumstances. christ almighty. this is unbelievably fucked up.

Agree about Strauss - should've got the job before and would've done if the ECB hadn't been blinded by Freddie Star.

Sky is now speculating that Moores may still be there.

crackerjack

Pietesen's an arrogant knob. What the fuck made him think you can effectively campaign openly to get the coach sacked? If he doesn't know you keep that shit behind closed doors he's too stupid to be captain.

hucks

Your Message Here
Pietesen's an arrogant knob. What the fuck made him think you can effectively campaign openly to get the coach sacked? If he doesn't know you keep that shit behind closed doors he's too stupid to be captain.

Broadly agreed, but Moores is rubbish. He's lost 4 of 7 series, promising young players like Cook and Panesar are going backwards, the whole Pattinson (sp?) fiasco last summer, the fact that bowlers get dropped after one poor perfomance but the top six are set in stone...

If Pietersen thought Moores was holding England back, he is right to try and do something about it. His methods were clumsy and naive, but I think preferable to some extended whispering campaign.

FWIW I don't think he is a very good captain anyhow, but I think Moores is a worse coach.

crackerjack

Broadly agreed, but Moores is rubbish. He's lost 4 of 7 series, promising young players like Cook and Panesar are going backwards

Yeah, those two should be well ahead of where they are now. Moores was briinging in his old sussex pal Mushtaq Ahmed to coach the spinner(s). Let's hope that's a done deal, regardless of Moores' position. And that Mushtaq's even half as good a coach as he ws a bowler.

crackerjack

Strauss has got the old school tie vote, anyway.

Some years ago, when Andrew Strauss was starting out on his England career, a Radley housemaster I was talking to said that of all the boys he had taught there was none he would choose ahead of Strauss with whom to find himself up a gum tree. England are fortunate to have such a good fellow to see them through this present extremity.

Without being quite the player that John Edrich was, Strauss puts me very much in mind of him in the way he plays. That is a good start. Leadership will come to him, not somewhat restlessly as it did with Pietersen but more with, say, Colin Cowdrey's equanimity, and because he has been brought up to it.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/guest_contributors/article5469442.ece

Edit:
seems KP didn't just want the right to sack the coach, but also to appoint the new one.
WIth six months to go until the Ashes begins, the spin may have already started after the Sydney Morning Herald reported that Pietersen, who resigned yesterday as England captain, approached Warne over the possibility of succeeding Peter Moores.

Sources told the newspaper that Pietersen's vision was to have the former Australia spinner as coach alongside former Victoria captain Darren Berry and former England all-rounder Jeremy Snape as assistants.

Berry and Snape were part of the Rajasthan Royal coaching set-up which won the inaugural IPL title last year.

After his working relationship with Peter Moores broke down, Pietersen issued a "sack me or back me" ultimatum to the ECB, confident that the governing body would bow to his demand and get rid of the coach.

According to the Sydney paper, Warne refused to comment on the matter but did not deny that Pietersen had approached him after the fall-out with Moores was made public.

Last edited:

crackerjack

Here are two takes on the dressing room divisions.

The BBC says Moores is making a statement soon and Pieterson's NOTW column will run on Sunday.... maybe all this adversity will bring the team together, huh?:rolleyes:

hucks

Your Message Here
Good to see Ian Bell deservedly in the "Ashes heroes" group. Who could forget those no runs he scored when the pressure was on in the fifth test?

Edit: And clearly the anti KP breifing is in full flow - wanting to sack Flower, recruit Warne etc. Pointless behind the scenes whispering from the ECB.

Last edited: