The World Cup Thread *******

alo

well....
England.....

Great 1st half, didn't bother turning up for the second, (hargreaves included) save for a last ditch stevie g effort, sol campbell tragedy: same old story....
Plus, fuck all fit and able strikers!!

Ecuador, bring em' on! :rolleyes:

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Someone needs to tell Sven that 1-0 at half time is not a sufficient margin from which to just play safety for the remaining 45 mins. This is really getting embarrassing now!

jenks

thread death
England still having problems defending set pieces - throw ins included pisses me off.

However I did think Hargreaves worked in that role and, in the first half, Lampard looked happier (he disappeared in the second half). I thought Beckham pretty ineffective and Rooney gets the pulse racing when he is on the ball but he faded fast.

I feel for Owen as I think he still has the necessaries to be a world class striker and wiith Rooney we had a frontline others would fear. I don't feel the same with Crouch up there.

I still have problems with Joe Cole - yes, fantastic goal, i know - but he didn't beat a single player last night, whenever he gets the ball he slows play down. Maybe i have become so enraged by him that i can no longer judge him objectively. I seem to be in a tiny minority, especially when you look at all the press the guy gets.

We've won our group, won't be playing the hosts and have scored a couple of corking goals - we could be France, or the Czechs :p

IdleRich

IdleRich
I don't think that the first half was as great as all that to be honest. Sure, we looked better than in our previous games but we still can't pass the ball and we're totally disjointed, luckily we've got good players who are going to compete for every ball and make other sides work but as a team we are totally lacking in fluidity. The goal in the first half was a case in point, that's the only way we're going to score at the moment, totally out of the blue. I'd be much happier seeing us pass our way through teams and into the net.
The defending from free-kicks, corners and fucking throw-ins was just embarrassing. Do we need to make sure we don't give away any throw-ins in our half from now on?
Hargreaves did ok I guess and Rooney looked frightening at the start, we need him fully fit if we're going to compete with the best teams. Blow for Owen obviously, especially just after Rooney came back into the side, Lampard still fairly quiet, Cole still our best creative player and Beckham not really in the game. Yesterday he should have given Walcott or Lennon a run. That's the only time you're going to have a game in a World Cup where losing wouldn't be the end of the tournament so when else are you going to try Walcott?

Freakaholic

not just an addiction
2 things:

1) I am aboslutely sick of these Refs. Cards for very questionable calls that comepletely change the game. card-happy card-happy card-happy. and its not doing its job. once they start carding, it makes the fouling worse.

2) i said earlier that id like to see a WC in Africa. Just found out: 2010 in South Africa.

So, when was the last time they made it to the finals? Can anyone remember? Isnt there something wrong with an automatic birth to a team that is going to be walked over?

IdleRich

IdleRich
"automatic birth"
As opposed to the normal, manual way? But seriously, I think it's ok for the host team to get a free place even if they're rubbish. A tournament loses a lot of the buzz when the hosts go out but it would be even worse if they weren't even in the competition and home advantage might mean that they stay there for longer than you think. Of course it is a shame that it has to be the richest African nation that gets it not the best but that's a slightly different issue. Maybe there is something wrong with the way World Cups are funded, perhaps every nation competing in the qualification stage should invest according to its ability regardless of where it will held, thus allowing poorer nations to host it, but that would be so complicated.

gabriel

The Heatwave
Freakaholic said:
So, when was the last time they made it to the finals? Can anyone remember? Isnt there something wrong with an automatic birth to a team that is going to be walked over?

they were in it in 98. not sure about 2002

carlos

manos de piedra
south africa was there in 2002

the "best" automatic berth story has to be france- they didn't qualify in 1990 or 1994, then they get the hosting spot in 98 and win the whole thing :eek:

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
Well done to Ghana for going through. But as so many
other games in this tournament - ambivalence.

A shocking penalty decision at the end of the first half
as well as the theatrical behaviour of the Ghana players
in the second half made it hard to cheer for the African team
as they made a meal out of every challenge as they closed in on
qualifying.

The worst was the guy who got the ball in his chest, watched
for three seconds and then fell - alternating between clutching his foot
and his head ... Ridiculous. It doesn't matter if it's Italy or Ghana
doing the theatricals - it's one of the things I really hate to see on a football pitch
and shouldn't be part of the game.

Bring in video refs for the next World Cup - for every penalty, every goal
and every red card decision. It won't halt the flow of the game that much -
if we say there's 2-3 goals, and 1 red card/penalty decision, then the abruptions
would be minimal. Do replays with audio commentary from the refs on the huge stadium
screens and give the managers pitch side monitors with slo-mo replays of all critical decisions.

don_quixote

Trent End
the coverage of brazil this evening was sickening as usual. some truly awful defending and some brilliant counter-attacking by the japanese in the first half and all the bbc feel the need to talk about is how badly ronaldo has played but ARENT THE BRAZILIANS AMAZING?!?!?!

argentina are the real amazing team in the tournament for me. they quite happily played at around 30% capacity in the second half yesterday. i really think when they get going they are a world cup winning side. the movement is absolutely incredible and i think if they have the will they will rip any team apart.

the quarter finals, if the last sixteen "goes to plan" (i'm still hoping ghana shock brazil), look very tasty - argentina vs germany and brazil vs spain. italy appear to have the "easy" course to the semi's for me - australia, likely to be followed by south korea/switzerland or ukraine seems a reasonably trivial task supposing they are up to it, however if they fail then they will be replaced by the real story of the tournament, would definitely be interesting to see a south korea - australia quarter final!

don_quixote

Trent End
also, itv has suprised me in the quality of their analysis. sam allardyce is suprisingly coherent and likeable when he's not talking about his dreadful bolton side, and stuart pearce is intelligent and engaging. venables is also very good. it's only a shame their commentary lets them down, and david pleat is damaged goods by now surely?

Rambler

Awanturnik
The BBC commentary has been horrible. John Motson is going push me to murder one of these days. I hate his his smug quoting of pointless statistics, his idiotic analyses, the way he tortuously explains every observation he makes under the delusion that his viewers are watching a football match for the very first time. And always chuckling to himself as though we've been friends for years and we're all muddling along in this together.

The only thing worse? The words "and joining me in the commentary box today is Mick McCarthy". *shudder*

Rambler

Awanturnik
don_quixote said:
also, itv has suprised me in the quality of their analysis. sam allardyce is suprisingly coherent and likeable when he's not talking about his dreadful bolton side, and stuart pearce is intelligent and engaging. venables is also very good. it's only a shame their commentary lets them down, and david pleat is damaged goods by now surely?

I agree on all this though. An ITV/BBC combination of Allardyce, Venables, Hansen, O'Neill and Leonardo would be the dream.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"and Leonardo would be the dream."
Every time I see Leonardo I remember World Cup 94 and him making one of the most deliberate and vicious attacks on an opposing player I've ever seen when his elbow smashed the cheekbone of a US player after the ball had gone out of play. I know all of the ex-players in the commentary box have broken the rules over the years (apart from St Gary of course) but that was a whole different level.

Rambler

Awanturnik
IdleRich said:
Every time I see Leonardo I remember World Cup 94 and him making one of the most deliberate and vicious attacks on an opposing player I've ever seen when his elbow smashed the cheekbone of a US player after the ball had gone out of play. I know all of the ex-players in the commentary box have broken the rules over the years (apart from St Gary of course) but that was a whole different level.

I might just fancy shoving him in the commentary box with Motson then ... ;)

S

simon silverdollar

Rambler said:
The only thing worse? The words "and joining me in the commentary box today is Mick McCarthy". *shudder*

god yes. i actually have to turn the sound off when mick mcCarthy's commentating. it's like being sat next to the most obnoxious pub bore for 90 minutes.

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
hmm I said earlier that there should be video refs for every red card decision.
Now if Graham Poll is the ref it would have to be for every yellow card decision ;)

Blatter was on just the telly blabbering and looking slighlty shocked at Poll's performance
- "someone should have run on the pitch and told him".

Well what is the fourth (and fifth?) official there for? Why do the refs have fancy
Dr Spock earpieces if they are not there to be used? I mean if Poll just uttered
the words "Yellow Card. No 3. Croatia." in the mike and then left someone else
(4th official or the official timekeeper) to keep track Poll could have kept his
concentration on the game itself. It looked like he needed it.

---

agree on the Brazil stuff. It can sometimes be unbearable to listen to
the pundits oohin and ahhing and having a fake orgasm every time Brazil play
a bit. If nothing else they did look an improved team and Ronaldo looks
to be the number one World Cup striker of all time by the end of this tournament.
One more goal and "Der Blobby" beats "Der Bomber" as a crisp Lineker quipped last night.

---

As for the pundits - Desailly and Hansen is no longer to be seen on the couch at the same
time (?). Desailly more than a bit full of himself and Hansen mildly teasing him a bit ("show me the medals") seemed to have sorted that one out.

Martin O'Neill - like him. Smart and with direct answers.

Last edited:

carlos

manos de piedra
really looking forward to Argentina - Mexico

Argentina should win- but these two teams have played some good games against each other in the last few years- Argentina won last year's match in the Confederation Cup (penalties) and Mexico beat them 1-0 in the Copa America two years ago. both games were pretty intense- i expect a close game, and a red card or two...

martin

----
Just got back from Germany, the atmosphere is FUCKING INCREDIBLE. Finding it hard to get into trhe games now, seems kind of flat just watching them on TV...in fact, I can't even be arsed about music right now, just wish I was still out there, and am thinking of booking a flight to Berlin the weekend of the final.

Brilliant watching Paraguay beat T&T - one of the 'Soca Warriors' was giving it to us large about how "win, lose or draw, Trinidadians party all night long" - oh yeah? They all seemed to sod off pretty sharp-ish out of the centre of Kaiserslautern after the game (including all the Trinidadians who were white and had German accents). Still, was happy to applaud T&T, unlike the German fairweather fans did for us. Most pitiful sight - a woman with a T-shirt boasting "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE A WARRIOR WOMAN' sobbing on her boyfriend's arm. Never been to a game where we were outnumbered 10-1, but the pride of supporting the coolest South American team ever (bar El Salvador) was phenomenal. Did a drunken interview with German camera crew which almost certainly hasn't been screened, where we were just shouting rubbish like "Wahrscheinlich Krankenhaus" and "Spinner Kinder" . Republica O Muerte!

Also, the fan camp got trashed at 4am by some English and Scottish lads with fire extinguishers. Not that I took part in this act, though I was sort of cheering them on. Everyone keeps banging on about how well England fans have been behaved, though does make you think, yeah, but we haven't lost yet