Drum and Bass fans invading Dubstep

matt b

Indexing all opinion
autonomicforthepeople said:
@ gek-opel

Yes and no. If you look at DMZ half-step material, for instance, that 2step foundation is still there. It can be hard to find though. I think (for the most part) listeners already attuned to garage catch it and a lot of new listeners/producers miss it.

absolutely- their programming is very, very clever- subtracting, but keeping the 'ghost' of 2-step. its this, when compared to the 'grime 1/2' compilations that makes dubstep an interesting proposition at present.

re: vocals- calling paul meme to thread! he's been banging on about that for an age ;)

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Its true that it shifts the focuss for the first time in dance music away from beats, the innovation ought to be in the bass... but too often the bass is a little bit workaday, lacking in interesting rhythm (ie some of the best dubstep implies the 2step doubletime in the bass rhythm). The more industrialist stuff is obviously more guilty of this (ie mid range= bad no?)

evergreen

Noel Emits said:
Yeah - I must confess I'm curious to know if the blissblogger made it to the last Dub War in NYC. Sounds like that was a good party.
he was there! i was hoping he'd blog about it, but nothing yet....

dubstep's bass science certainly has a lot more potential to live up to--i think it'd be a mistake to wish for the sound to more closely resemble 2-step, or slowed-down pre-97 dnb as opposed to post-97 dnb. DMZ tracks like Coki's "Tortured" and the Mystikz' "Misty Winter" point to future possibilities as much as they draw from the past, and they're as dirgelike as they come!

nomos

Administrator
@ Noel Emits - "homeopathic" :D

@ evergreen - No I wouldn't want to detract at all from the great halfstep that we've seen in the last year and a half or so. That's really what defined dubstep in 2005 and there was a lot absolutely brilliant music made. But I think a lot of people who've picked up on the music during this period are under the impression that there is little more to dubstep than being slow, dark and bassy.

Or, here's a convenient quote from a post today on the forum: "I reckon as long as it's 140(ish)bpm anything goes pretty much....right?"

And I'm not saying dubstep should "utterly embody" 2step either, or that it's only worthwhile if it's bouncey. But brooding halfstep is quickly running out of new possibilities and only a handful of producers have actually managed to do good job of it. Most of them are moving on. But if you listen to most of the demos posted in the dubstep production forum by relative newcomers for whom dubstep=halfstep, you'll hear a whole lot of listless plodding (effectively) at 70 bpm. That or metallic amen tracks. Or the two mashed together.

Re: the 'nuum - I've argued against that concept on the Burial thread.

nomos

Administrator
Oh right, examples...

Yeah the Caspa EP for one, some of the HENCH material (though some is very good), definitely Tech Itch so far, Tubz and Footz, Emalkay. I like the earlier Random Trio stuff but I'd also point to the Omen and Cyrus releases on Tectonic. Then you've got a heap of breaky ones that really do sound like dnb at the wrong speed.

I've heard Loefah, Skream etc. on the Plastic People system so I'm not relying on mp3s to come to these conclusions.

Tim F

I said:

"Dubstep tends to resemble post-97 d&b slowed down more than it does pre-97 d&b slowed down, which is maybe 80% of what prevents the genre from fulfilling its potential."

and Blackdown said:

"this isn't true. there are parts that do resemble it, but much that doesn't."

But I'm sticking with my original statement. Strictly speaking, classic 2-step garage also tended to resemble post-97 d&b more than it did pre-97 d&b. Listen to most 2-step garage and the beat is relatively simple in its construction, and it doesn't really change throughout the track.

Of course 2-step sounded much more interestingly syncopated than post-97 d&b most of the time. But that's mainly because syncopation sounds more, er, syncopated, at 135bpm than at 170bpm. I remember one person described MJ Cole's "Attitude" as sounding like a post-97 d&b track played at 33 instead of 45, and I scoffed, but I went back and listened to it and realised that they were kinda right. It's just that "Attitude" at 170 bpm wouldn't have sounded nearly as good of course!

Dubstep isn't really more <i>or</i> less intricate rhythmically than 2-step garage, it's just constructed a bit differently (excluding halfstep, which is obviously less intricate but deliberately so, its absences implying an intentional substraction of intricacy).

Both UK Garage and dubstep have their share of more intricate tracks that mirror the sort of rhythmic layering effect you get in pre-97, but I think these have been the exception rather than the rule. I have this notion that this is as much to do with Timbaland as techstep: Timbaland's early stuff really ran with the simple mindbending loop that can be repeated ad inifinitum throughout the track but never gets boring.

Whereas up to 96/97 or so, D&B was still in a post-hardcore phase of taking disparate elements and pushing them together to achieve mindbending complexity via layering - most of the best jungle tunes from a rhythmic perspective were those with several breaks interacting at the same time. This also encouraged tunes to morph and mutate throughout their duration much more readily (arguably due to ardkore's short-attention-span approach to ideas). (as a sidenote, the genres which actually remind me more of pre-97 d&b are, almost counter-intuitively, reggaeton and baile funk. This is precisely <i>because</i> their rhythmic tricks are so simple and bare-bones, so to get any kind of interesting beat effect they have to do a lot of layering. The bits in baile funk where a freestyle beat and a sampled tribal drum are laid over the top of one another are very primitive ardkore....)

UK Garage retained/resurrected this complexity/mutational quality, but not usually in the beats: rather you'd get complex interplay b/w the vocals, the bassline, the chiming melody, the MCing, most fundamentally b/w song and track.

Dubstep has tended to downplay this in favour of emphasising just a few elements. The tracks continue UK Garage's relative rhythmic linearity, but obviously don't tend to share the songcraft or popwise technicolour complexity which tended to work against linearity in a typical UK Garage track. So, and I say this as non-judgmentally as possible, they resemble post-97 d&b slowed down more than anything else in my book. By which i mean the more mainstream dancefloor d&b rather than the breaks scene. But let's not fall into the trap of pretending that contemporary mainstream d&b isn't necessarily intricate rhythmically. Often it's very intricate. It's just that it rushes by in a mostly unchanging one bar loop that is too fast for the brain or body to compute as readily as it would at 135/140bpm. This is the problem with most d&b today: not rhythmic simplicity, but the combination of speed and one-bar-looping.

The way that current d&b can sidestep this and maintain its energy is just to mix through tracks very quickly: as per Jeff Mills style techno, the relative changelessness of the tunes themselves ceases to be an issue if yr moving b/w riddims so quickly. This happens a lot in dubstep sets too I've noticed (and i've been listening to quite a lot lately, but if it helps people to sleep at night if they think I'm talking entirely unsubstantiated bullshit then by all means go ahead). Where dubstep has a definite edge over contemporary D&B is that the more pronounced syncopation of the grooves means that the transitions between tracks are more noticable (and hence more enjoyable) from a rhythmic perspective. With a lot of contemporary d&b the distinction b/w tracks tends to be more heavily routed in the basslines or in mid-range riffs.

But I still think that one of the things that would make dubstep truly great is if there was more internal mutation going on - by adopting jungle's rhythmic dynamic a bit more fully, changing between beats, layering beats, moving from restrained beats to full-on beats. The tunes that move from halfstep to normal tempo kind of do this but there's so much more that could be done. I guess though the difference is that early jungle's beats were sampled and dubstep's are constructed from scratch, so it would probably require so much more effort to do this. On the other hand it's not just jungle that did this - listen to house/techno producers like Eulberg or Trentemoller and there's a surprising willingness to just keep changing the beat, to keep dancers on their toes constantly.

Sometimes when I'm listening to a dubstep set, I'll be settled into the groove and then I'll hear this new snare or kick come in and I'll think "yes! this tune is about to ascend to the next level!"... Only to realise that it's a new track. Which is great from a mixing perspective, but I want more dubstep to have that collision feeling you get from better track transitions.

I used to wish this with UK Garage too, but the song-factor made the unrequited desire less pressing. In fact perhaps it's precisely a certain fidelity to UK Garage which is preventing this from happening, I don't know...

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Nice points Tim F.

One thing that happens with dubstep, say a few hours into a party and possibly deep in ganja-trance (not that this is necessary at all but it's clearly informed much of the music), is that the tiniest rhythmic shift can sound enormous, and the cavernous space between beats in halfstep material seem like decades. The mearest hint of a new syncopation or a double-time beat now can be imbued with great significance and energy.

But I do agree, I'd like to see more going on in individual tracks rather than interest being constructed in DJ sets. I'm also pretty confident that we are already starting to see the beginnings of more of this.

BTW: Not a drum and bass producer but someone more known for techno I believe, Timeblind's Ghostification EP is a big fave round here at the moment.

Numbers

This is just a joke. 10 people trying to pin down again a definition of dubstep on a forum. Does anyone remember Loefah stating in that bbc-docu that there simply aint no formula for dubstep? Maybe that is something to keep in mind. Unless, of course, you all enjoy the n-th discussion on this matter.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Hmm, maybe it's more like people talking about what they like / don't like about it and enjoying the discussion?

Also definition != formula.

But yeah, I would hate to see dubstep reduced to a limited number of styles, the diversity is one of the best things about this er, thing right now.

swears

preppy-kei
I heard some good half-step tunes on Mary Anne Hobbes the other night.
I thought they were wicked, drum 'n' bass without all the clutter and bustle.
Bring on the Reese copyists!
Hahahaha!!!

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
gek-opel said:
has the sound not crystallised somewhat and the way an external, uninformed observer would see it is: Kind-of slowed down D'n'B? I don't see many newer producers repping anything but the most torpid of half-step...
That doesn't accord with what I'm listening to. I can see what you mean when it comes to N-Type or Iron Soul stuff (though it's good) but other newish producers like Random Trio and Boxcutter (who I know you don't like much, but Brood / Sunshine for example ROCK!) aren't like that at all. And have you heard the demos floating about? Kion, Secret Agent Gel, Joe Cowper, 2000F just do not do torpid halfstep.

And more broadly (not having a go at gek), one listen to Skream'z Dutch Flowerz and it makes these kinds of criticisms irrelevant. Pure technicolour levitational dance music.

BTW I listened to the 1xtra d'n'b show last night while sorting out my clothes, they played some good tunes including some Missy re-edit by an East German producer that I quite liked.

Last edited:

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Tim F said:
I said:

"Dubstep tends to resemble post-97 d&b slowed down more than it does pre-97 d&b slowed down, which is maybe 80% of what prevents the genre from fulfilling its potential."

and Blackdown said:

"this isn't true. there are parts that do resemble it, but much that doesn't."

But I'm sticking with my original statement. Strictly speaking, classic 2-step garage also tended to resemble post-97 d&b more than it did pre-97 d&b. Listen to most 2-step garage and the beat is relatively simple in its construction, and it doesn't really change throughout the track.

Of course 2-step sounded much more interestingly syncopated than post-97 d&b most of the time. But that's mainly because syncopation sounds more, er, syncopated, at 135bpm than at 170bpm. I remember one person described MJ Cole's "Attitude" as sounding like a post-97 d&b track played at 33 instead of 45, and I scoffed, but I went back and listened to it and realised that they were kinda right. It's just that "Attitude" at 170 bpm wouldn't have sounded nearly as good of course!

Dubstep isn't really more <i>or</i> less intricate rhythmically than 2-step garage, it's just constructed a bit differently (excluding halfstep, which is obviously less intricate but deliberately so, its absences implying an intentional substraction of intricacy).

Both UK Garage and dubstep have their share of more intricate tracks that mirror the sort of rhythmic layering effect you get in pre-97, but I think these have been the exception rather than the rule. I have this notion that this is as much to do with Timbaland as techstep: Timbaland's early stuff really ran with the simple mindbending loop that can be repeated ad inifinitum throughout the track but never gets boring.

Whereas up to 96/97 or so, D&B was still in a post-hardcore phase of taking disparate elements and pushing them together to achieve mindbending complexity via layering - most of the best jungle tunes from a rhythmic perspective were those with several breaks interacting at the same time. This also encouraged tunes to morph and mutate throughout their duration much more readily (arguably due to ardkore's short-attention-span approach to ideas). (as a sidenote, the genres which actually remind me more of pre-97 d&b are, almost counter-intuitively, reggaeton and baile funk. This is precisely <i>because</i> their rhythmic tricks are so simple and bare-bones, so to get any kind of interesting beat effect they have to do a lot of layering. The bits in baile funk where a freestyle beat and a sampled tribal drum are laid over the top of one another are very primitive ardkore....)

UK Garage retained/resurrected this complexity/mutational quality, but not usually in the beats: rather you'd get complex interplay b/w the vocals, the bassline, the chiming melody, the MCing, most fundamentally b/w song and track.

Dubstep has tended to downplay this in favour of emphasising just a few elements. The tracks continue UK Garage's relative rhythmic linearity, but obviously don't tend to share the songcraft or popwise technicolour complexity which tended to work against linearity in a typical UK Garage track. So, and I say this as non-judgmentally as possible, they resemble post-97 d&b slowed down more than anything else in my book. By which i mean the more mainstream dancefloor d&b rather than the breaks scene. But let's not fall into the trap of pretending that contemporary mainstream d&b isn't necessarily intricate rhythmically. Often it's very intricate. It's just that it rushes by in a mostly unchanging one bar loop that is too fast for the brain or body to compute as readily as it would at 135/140bpm. This is the problem with most d&b today: not rhythmic simplicity, but the combination of speed and one-bar-looping.

The way that current d&b can sidestep this and maintain its energy is just to mix through tracks very quickly: as per Jeff Mills style techno, the relative changelessness of the tunes themselves ceases to be an issue if yr moving b/w riddims so quickly. This happens a lot in dubstep sets too I've noticed (and i've been listening to quite a lot lately, but if it helps people to sleep at night if they think I'm talking entirely unsubstantiated bullshit then by all means go ahead). Where dubstep has a definite edge over contemporary D&B is that the more pronounced syncopation of the grooves means that the transitions between tracks are more noticable (and hence more enjoyable) from a rhythmic perspective. With a lot of contemporary d&b the distinction b/w tracks tends to be more heavily routed in the basslines or in mid-range riffs.

But I still think that one of the things that would make dubstep truly great is if there was more internal mutation going on - by adopting jungle's rhythmic dynamic a bit more fully, changing between beats, layering beats, moving from restrained beats to full-on beats. The tunes that move from halfstep to normal tempo kind of do this but there's so much more that could be done. I guess though the difference is that early jungle's beats were sampled and dubstep's are constructed from scratch, so it would probably require so much more effort to do this. On the other hand it's not just jungle that did this - listen to house/techno producers like Eulberg or Trentemoller and there's a surprising willingness to just keep changing the beat, to keep dancers on their toes constantly.

Sometimes when I'm listening to a dubstep set, I'll be settled into the groove and then I'll hear this new snare or kick come in and I'll think "yes! this tune is about to ascend to the next level!"... Only to realise that it's a new track. Which is great from a mixing perspective, but I want more dubstep to have that collision feeling you get from better track transitions.

I used to wish this with UK Garage too, but the song-factor made the unrequited desire less pressing. In fact perhaps it's precisely a certain fidelity to UK Garage which is preventing this from happening, I don't know...

interesting to see you qualify your points tim ie that dubstep resembles post-97 d&b rhythmically. What concerns me more is when dubstep resembles post-97 d&b sonically.

Whats interesting about your point on rhythmic variations within dubstep tracks is that it ignores the influence of in part stiff (not swingy) timbaland-style r&b (instead of d&b's use of funk breaks) but most of all grime. When grime came along, in particular the post-'What' halfstep grime, its rhythmic consolidation was such a breath of fresh air compared to 2steps swing or d&b (esp the edits/drumfunk crew). You pine for rhythmic variations within dubstep but for quite some time that idea has felt really dated ... which is fair enough since you reference it to 1997.

The result of the rhythmic consolidation is that it leaves room for variation within the arrangements of rest of the musical elements, exactly what a lot of rhythmic music needed after years of tedious 'tracky' productions. grime dealt with this using the 8bar switch, which still seems like a radical idea now. dubstep deals with it by more textured layering ("dealing with progression" DMZ used to say, and i always thought this related to arrangements).

If you're looking for interesting rhythmic tracks, look no further than Mala's 'Bury the Bwoy' and 'Learn'. They're quite sutbly smart. 'Bury The Bwoy' has kicks that sound like a horse galloping. 'Learn' starts with just hats that suddenly switch into triplets (but dont go out of time, despite feeling like it). After the drop, a large nagging riff takes over the rhythmic propulsion, a clever shift in emphasis in the track (almost a tracky dubstep -> riffage grime shift, in terms of ideas). You can hear 'Bury The Bwoy' on Kode's amazing FWD podcast.

Kode's definitely been leading the upbeat/swing revival though he's been on this tip for a while now . What with Burial, Mala and Coki's beats plus what feels like to me the good timing of the Roots of Dubstep project, there is a shift back towards swing, or at least a representation of swing within the dubstep rhythmic spectrum. Otherwise there is far too much plodding halfstep about. People were asking about examples of this. Now i hate to pick on one crew (and Gutta wont appreciate this either, but in fairness i do want them to succeed) but listening to DJ Wedge from Hench's recent set it was completely formless and forgetable halfstep for over an hour. This kind of sonic and rhythmic monotony doesnt bode well.

evergreen

not to harp on the bass thing, but hearing dubstep on a big rig really does emphasize/validate the primacy of the low-end, which helped me grasp its particular dialectic between percussion and 'vibration'. once the bass becomes so much more physically and sonically compelling, the pressure's taken off the drums to sustain most of the interest--which paradoxically makes the tiniest shift in percussion much more significant (justifying IMO the lean towards a singular monolithic groove as opposed to a series of changing ones), as has been said. further, change-ups in the bassline become more important, and i think expected, on the dancefloor. i also agree that this minimalism feels especially effective in light of the rhetoric surrounding rhythmic variation / outward complexity, which personally began to dry up somewhere in between that wave of post-97 dnb blog posts and hyper-edited dnb's comeback.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Many good points on this thread, but I'll follow up on one of Tim F's: a weird thing I've noticed is that whilst an individual dubstep track might seem somewhat formulaic in terms of rhythm, across the genre the beats are quite heterogeneous, which really comes most fully into effect when in the mix--- as the new track sidles in the two different beat patterns co-exist for 30 seconds to a couple of minutes or so, displaying the rhythmical variance with insane syncopations that neither producer would have thought of originally, I've only just noticed this, and it almost makes me think that longer "prog" mixing might deliver real results, as each producer picks out a different bit of the 2-step rhythmical ghost to bring in mere hints of, hints which are only exposed fully when conjoined with another tune...

Blackdown

nexKeysound
evergreen said:
not to harp on the bass thing, but hearing dubstep on a big rig really does emphasize/validate the primacy of the low-end, which helped me grasp its particular dialectic between percussion and 'vibration'. once the bass becomes so much more physically and sonically compelling, the pressure's taken off the drums to sustain most of the interest--

yes completely. i often liken hearing tracks i know at DMZ to hearing them like i was lying on my back on the bottom of a swimming pool and looking up. you hear them in such a different way because of the emphasis and energy that comes from the bass (and hence the bass variations) its like they're inverted.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Also the bass pressure means that the drums don't necessarily need to be exciting, the bodily movement is created through the bass sound waves inside your body, communion through every-one's chest cavities vibrating at the same frequency- a physical literalisation and internalisation of the rave-drug-communion nexus...

Blackdown

nexKeysound
it all points to the fact that Mala v Loefah DMZ set, those two diametrically opposed styles, clashing in the same b2b is the key fulcrum of dubstep right now.

and since there's no mala v loe sets online, it just has to be heard live.

swears

preppy-kei
Wouldn't it just be easier to describe the sound like this:

boom-boom-thawck/ boom boom-b-boom-thwack-thwack

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Other than one or two b2b with Kode 9, and dubstep warz, I can't think of any Loefah mixes online.

Just to reiterate Blackdown's points, you really need to hear DMZ dubs to appreciate the rhythmic potential of dubstep.

I'm also waiting for someone to knock Loefah for epitomising the halfstep norm, to which I'd say, listen to his tunes again - that apparent simplicity, well, isn't.

However, I'd direct people to Eden's recent blogvertorial on dubstep, where he says "there's something missing" - I can see what he means. But I just don't think he's listened to enough Skream.