Drum and Bass fans invading Dubstep

Precious Cuts

autonomicforthepeople said:
Oh right, examples...

Tubz and Footz.

I see what your saying in regard to the it's war / morbid release, but I really like a lot of the Newham Generals stuff that is drum and bass influenced. To me, tunes like "Tigerstyle" actualy capture good jungle vibes and have a sound that reminds me of early Brockie. Same with that mellow one that D Double did a while back. I don't think its a problem of pre/post 97, so much as the particular aspects of DnB from any era that producers choose to import. Macabre unit clearly take their cues from minimal, techy post-98 DnB, and their stuff is amazing IMO.

Its just recently (especially since seeing Skream in Toronto) that I really got into dubstep. I've listened to garage since '99, and I got dubstep allstars 1 when it first came out, but I was never that impressed by dubstep. My conclusion was always the same: its cool, but a bit bland, and ultimately bedroom music. Now I feel that the big events like forward and DMZ are pushing the sound to fulfill its potential as dance music. I think its just natural that the process is going to engender misguided efforts to smash the dancefoor with brutalist noise, but at the same time a lot of good stuff can come about as well.

Also, would there be dubstep if it weren't for drum and bass converts co-opting garage and introducing dark and minimal aesthetics from drum and bass?

zhao

there are no accidents
saw Joe Nice last week and there were these raver boys and girls there complete with ridiculous big pants... a deaf person would have thought they were dancing to drum'n'bass.