Marketing Festivals

gek-opel

entered apprentice
I don't think it is exactly tho... the rave myth is founded within the aesthetics of the trance inducing repetitive music, and the sacramental narcotics which are ritually ingested alongside, inducing (according to myth at least) the creation of the intersubjective state ... festivals aren't so clear... either musically or narcotically... are they? Its booze'n'shroomzand crap chart indie acts and... y'know?

swears

preppy-kei
If there was an act playing I really wanted to see, I would go.

Then I would write down the name of whatever company or product was sponsoring the festival to make sure I never bought or purchased anything to do with them. Then I would definately know that the advertising had had no effect on me whatsoever.

DJ PIMP

gek-opel said:
I don't think it is exactly tho... the rave myth is founded within the aesthetics of the trance inducing repetitive music, and the sacramental narcotics which are ritually ingested alongside, inducing (according to myth at least) the creation of the intersubjective state ... festivals aren't so clear... either musically or narcotically... are they? Its booze'n'shroomzand crap chart indie acts and... y'know?
There are differences - but more or less - people come together and get shit-faced to music.

The bit where the band-thing falls over for me is that the energy is always directed towards the figures on stage. Whereas at the best raves I've been to the DJ loses focus after a while (in the wee hours when everyone is well-mangled) and the energy turns inward toward the self and the group. Powerful catharsis - I had a dream about it the other night.

Slight tangent but I was very much struck by this video...
http://basshunter.m0o.eu/anna/index_en.php

swears

preppy-kei
bleep said:
There are differences - but more or less - people come together and get shit-faced to music.

The bit where the band-thing falls over for me is that the energy is always directed towards the figures on stage. Whereas at the best raves I've been to the DJ loses focus after a while (in the wee hours when everyone is well-mangled) and the energy turns inward toward the self and the group. Powerful catharsis - I had a dream about it the other night.

Slight tangent but I was very much struck by this video...
http://basshunter.m0o.eu/anna/index_en.php

Urgh....

That's why I liked electroclash, it was like clubbing without all of this mystical, spiritual, communal, hippy nonsense.

DJ PIMP

Yep... its fascinating how fast it keeps turning over.

But how self-conscious was electroclash? Heh.

Last edited:

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
swears said:
Urgh....

That's why I liked electroclash, it was like clubbing without all of this mystical, spiritual, communal, hippy nonsense.

Haha. Clubbing completely subjugated to the 'real'.

swears

preppy-kei
Noel Emits said:
Haha. Clubbing completely subjugated to the 'real'.

Hmmm...I'm was being a bit tounge in cheek there, not such a great idea as a noob, maybe.
I like "cold" club nights. I don't want e'd up muppets hugging me on the dancefloor or anything like that. I have my own little clique, and that's who I'm happy with.
This is just a personal preference of course.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Maybe it is arriving too late in the game (ie- as a relatively young chap I only started going to festivals/clubs in about 1999--- therefore in an era when irony had robbed the experience of any potential transcendence) but I have NEVER got the hedonism-music-release thing. Maybe once or twice thru dancing (but no narcotics) I got the trance-induced loss of self thing, but never when "high" in any way shape or form... indeed that always seemed to work AGAINST transcendence in the music, a distraction not an enabler.

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
bun-u said:
I'm involved in running one on Vyner St in Hackney this summer again. There's no corporate involvement in our one (well not yet anyway). Ruff Sqwad and Chicks on Speed will be playing

:D :D :D :D :D this sounds excellent, i think i popped into the one last year, which weekend is it? nice little boozer there no the corner.

mms

sometimes
there is this one in fins park on saturday - there are actually some quite mad things at it, even though it seems to be aimed at people in their mid 40's
http://www.risefestival.org/

the only thing its advertising is the councils ability to put these on for free really.

there was one a month or so before which had a real festy thing going on, that kinda skadubpunk thing which combines bits of good music into a horrible mess.
i like the festivals where it's literally a really hot day and there is a big soundsystem in the background and lots of people.

gek-opel - i'm really suprised by your remarks- i mean you must have let go and really enjoyed yourself at some point?

swears

preppy-kei
in an era when irony had robbed the experience of any potential transcendence....

Is irony really this huge, all pervasive soul-crushing force that it's been made out to be since the 90's?
It always seemed that there were more people complaining about it in the press than actually practising it in music. Beck, for instance, said he had bored of it by Odelay.
I think a lot of bands where accused of being ironic when journos didn't understand what they were about.
Air got a lot of flak from journalists for being "kitsch" or whatever. But I can't see a band being that much into musicality, arrangements, vintage gear, etc just for the purposes of some sort of obsure joke. The second Daft Punk album was met with suspiscion, too.
One man's empty joke is another man's heartfelt passion, it seems.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Re: Irony. I think it's not the playful and knowing trying on of styles as roles and masks that is damaging, it's the accompanying debilitating vanity and arrogance. It's like a kind of cowardice, a fear of real engagement or of being seen to have commited to something that is later discredited or revealed to be uncool in some way. It's a preemptive defense mechanism that insulates the user from direct experience.

It could be called a healthy wariness of belief, but underlying it is this inherited belief that we are (or should be) all now so over everything.

swears

preppy-kei
Noel Emits said:
Re: Irony. I think it's not the playful and knowing trying on of styles as roles and masks that is damaging, it's the accompanying debilitating vanity and arrogance. It's like a kind of cowardice, a fear of real engagement or of being seen to have commited to something that is later discredited or revealed to be uncool in some way. It's a preemptive defense mechanism that insulates the user from direct experience.

It could be called a healthy wariness of belief, but underlying it is this inherited belief that we are (or should be) all now so over everything.

Yeah I know, but is it really that widespread?
And where people in the past really so idealistic about music anyway? Say, 30 or 40 years ago?

IdleRich

IdleRich
"in an era when irony had robbed the experience of any potential transcendence...."
"
Yeah I know, but is it really that widespread?"
No, of course not. Lot's of people go out all the time and have fun and/or transcendental experiences without any thought of irony. Gek-Opel your irony may have affected your experience but to project that on to everyone else is arrogant in the extreme.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Hey arrogance! Um I'm not sure if necessarily irony is the correct term here. I certainly don't approach things like this ironically (yr correct, that would be pathetic and arrogant) Almost the opposite, with of an inability to suspend disbelief perhaps. Also the presence of music rather than acting as an enabler of the lizard brain to overwhelm rational thought it actually works as a focal point, preventing release. So whilst wanting to be committed to the thing, I find myself deflected by its prosaic nature, or by the aesthetic qualities of the music itself. The irony I was referring to was that of other people, not myself... Fundamentally I suspect it is because I do not believe in the foundation myths, interesting tho they are... and yes its true, plenty of people do enjoy themselves fully at these things- or at least appear to....

C/Dizzle

Never Enough
i say, just go to a festival if you think the artists are worth the £££.

i find it pretty easy to phase out marketing these days...

swears

preppy-kei
gek-opel said:
Hey arrogance! Um I'm not sure if necessarily irony is the correct term here. I certainly don't approach things like this ironically (yr correct, that would be pathetic and arrogant) Almost the opposite, with of an inability to suspend disbelief perhaps. Also the presence of music rather than acting as an enabler of the lizard brain to overwhelm rational thought it actually works as a focal point, preventing release. So whilst wanting to be committed to the thing, I find myself deflected by its prosaic nature, or by the aesthetic qualities of the music itself. The irony I was referring to was that of other people, not myself... Fundamentally I suspect it is because I do not believe in the foundation myths, interesting tho they are... and yes its true, plenty of people do enjoy themselves fully at these things- or at least appear to....

Listening to music is one of the few things that I really enjoy.
So clubbing is the the one chance I get to enjoy those feelings in a social context.
It's as if all the boring mainstream NME/Heat magazine shit is the joke, and I'm enjoying myself in a valid way....
Which is just a feeling of course! But I love it when I see a great DJ like Ivan Smagge and it just feels proper....

mms

sometimes
gek-opel said:

that's brutal.
just channel and feel the information and think about it afterwards i reckon, as thats part of the process, it's not just your brain that's intelligence , music opens up your body and that responds in interesting ways too, which is always interesting to just feel.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Sorry Gek-Opel, didn't mean to be insulting, what I'm disagreeing with is your statement

"in an era when irony had robbed the experience of any potential transcendence"
Which is a generalisation about the experience for everyone. As far as I'm concerned in 1999, for me, irony had not robbed the clubbing experience of anything.
In your next post you say
"So whilst wanting to be committed to the thing, I find myself deflected by its prosaic nature, or by the aesthetic qualities of the music itself"
Which is a much more reasonable thing to say (although it makes me feel a bit sorry for you).
But then you say
"The irony I was referring to was that of other people, not myself"
Which takes me back to the original question - what is this irony of other people to which you refer?
"plenty of people do enjoy themselves fully at these things- or at least appear to...."
Again. Maybe they are just enjoying themselves and it's you deciding that they can't be, what I'm saying is it sounds as though you have a problem enjoying clubbing and you are trying to extrapolate that to a problem with clubbing in general and I'm not sure that that is valid.