Rock!

jd_

Oh yeah, Free! Missed James Gang + The Faces too. Fleetwood Mac. Rory Gallagher + Sweet, Blue Cheer, Procol Harum, 10cc, ELO + The Allman Bros.

satanmcnugget

Aerosmith? as resident gas-huffing lunkhead/expert on rawk music, i hafta tell ya, Aerosmith went down the tubes a LONG time ago...ugh!

Im with Luka in loving Motorhead...been a long time since they did much, but they rawked harder in two years than Aerosmith in a career...same with ZZ Top...too dismissed by music snobs cuz they had the temerity to sell more than three records

yeah, the Stooges are also gawd...early Metallica just plain DESTROYED...too bad they need to be hunted down and strung by what is left of their balls now, though

anybody ever read Rock and the Pop Narcotic by Joe Carducci?...hilarious and highly recommended...overly macho ranting about the Stooges and ACDC that is so unabashedly PASSIONATE about hard-rawking music that you can easily forgive him for whatever flaws there are in the book (although the You dont like ZZ Top, well put my fucking book down, wuss-ass, thing does wear after a while)

stevienixed

i suffer rock
Diggedy Derek said:
That list is nothing without Black Sabbath. Death to false metal!

after reading tommy lee's biography, i was almost tempted to buy girlgirlgirls. we bought MM FOOD instead.

martin

----
What about the Pretty Things? They shat all over the Stones. I knew this kid at school who was really into some pants metal band who had goats' heads all over the record sleeves. Do you remember when Tommy Vance used to be on Radio 1, "And tonight - and we're really breaking all council noise pollution regulations with this one - we have AXE WARPER, recorded live at Donington". Fucking hell.

blissblogger

steppenwolf, purely for 'born to be wild' and 'magic carpet ride'

james gang, "funk #49"

lynyrd skynyrd, "freebird", a few others

alice cooper, "school's out", "elected"

budgie, seconded

zz, "cheap sunglasses"

hawkwind, "silver machine"

guru guru

Today I picked up a copy of the latest Wired because the cover story is: "In Praise Of the Riff"

The praise was heaped upon:

MC5 - "Somehow, Ann Arbor Michigan became the spiritual home of the revolutionary riff..."

Stooges - "the best Stooges riffs somehow conjure whole universes of wayward, inspirational excitement from thier defiantly sparse materials"

Velvet Underground - "VU was less focused on the riff than the Stooges, but when they went for it, they brought to bear all the harmonic density of La Monte Young's Theater Of Eternal Music, and all the feral ferocity of a street-sleeping speedfreak."

Now in the same article the writer dishes major disses:

"Exhibitionists like Clapton, Page and Beck all missed the point, paving the way for heavy rock and the tedious, denim-clad cul de sac of Metal"

"...most of heavy rock's riff-wielding hierarchy - Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, AC/DC - are revealed as leaden-footed, prehistoric."

"Sweatloaf, The Butthole Surfers's mutant assault on Sabbath's "Sweet Leaf", was a genuinely psychedelic attempt to claim it back for the real freaks..."

What's the deal?

redcrescent

nostra namus said:
Today I picked up a copy of the latest Wired because the cover story is: "In Praise Of the Riff"
You certainly mean The Wire, not Wired. One little letter, one huge difference!

On the rawk tip... Most things after 1972/3 are pretty dire, I find, and even by then the really good stuff (Black Sabbath, Stooges, Little Feat, etc.) was thin on the ground.
I'm with Stelfox on Carcass (you weren't joking, were you?) and personally I'd include a lot of 1984-1992 grindcore/death metal/thrash, too, even though I suspect most people probably wouldn't. Napalm Death's Scum, Obituary's Cause of Death/Entombed's Left Hand Path, and, well yes, Metallica's ...And Justice For All are my picks for each of those genres, in case anyone gives a toss.
I honestly wouldn't mind if electric guitar music was left for dead, though. Nothing disgusts me more than articles on new bands who will "save rock" and whatnot (you all know them, a recent template being: all-male, Scandinavian, unkempt and with matching suits) - retrograde, fucking boring and reactionary to the core.

satanmcnugget

yeah, i hear you, RC....yawn....BUT, there is STILL something about GOOD guitar-rawk music that prevents me from wishing it wld go away entirely (although, like u, i dont think id cry TOO much)

i think what id like to see is some better integration between guitar-rawkers and electronic musicians...not sure if ive ever heard any, which i think is odd given the sheer number of musicians out there...ud think id be able to come up with a single example off the top of my head, but i cant

(walked into a donut shop today for a coffee...they had the radio tuned to a classic rawk station...they were blaring an old Kinks tune (Girl, I want to be with you forever...all day and all of the night...u know the one?)...and it honestly rattled me to the bones....im 37 yrs old, and i was like, Whhhhhoooooaaaaa!!!...it may be reactionary now and all that, but it sure did have its appeal, and i can see why)

redcrescent

satanmcnugget said:
i think what id like to see is some better integration between guitar-rawkers and electronic musicians...not sure if ive ever heard any, which i think is odd given the sheer number of musicians out there...ud think id be able to come up with a single example off the top of my head, but i cant
Fennesz?
satanmcnugget said:
(walked into a donut shop today for a coffee...they had the radio tuned to a classic rawk station...they were blaring an old Kinks tune (Girl, I want to be with you forever...all day and all of the night...u know the one?)...and it honestly rattled me to the bones....im 37 yrs old, and i was like, Whhhhhoooooaaaaa!!!...it may be reactionary now and all that, but it sure did have its appeal, and i can see why)
Alright, just so I'm not misunderstood: Kinks (Village Green..., Live at Kelvin Hall come to mind) have done great things and are undeservedly (but without fail) ranked behind the abominable Rolling Stones. Nothing wrong with enjoying their stuff (once every so often). What I loathe, however, is the misappropriation of their looks and moves by a bunch of clueless fools with a rockist messiah complex and without an ounce of the Kinks' talent, vision or passion.
In a more general sense it's about the limited time and space (and funds, as ever) for music. I find all of these are too precious to be squandered on ultracynical 'retro' marketing ploys. I have stacks of fantastic shit lying around which I can't hope to hear in this lifetime (though I'll try) and I find I am increasingly reluctant to follow things like the antics of the latest rawk flavor of the week.

craner

Beast of Burden
The ones I like by Aerosmith are 'Draw the line' and 'Back in the Saddle' and 'Sweet Emotion' and most of Pump. They were once quite sick and scuzzy too, which I also like.

craner

Beast of Burden
but why do you all hate the Stones so much? They've got loads of good songs and tunes and sounds and they were funny and full of glory at one moment in time...BACCHANALIAN trash...

craner

Beast of Burden
Other rock highlights: Skid Row, 'Unskinny Bop', Hendrix, 'Appetite for Destruction'...

Also: 'Reign in Blood' was a fucking MASSIVE record in the Rhondda Valley...

Backjob

Well Runrig's "The cutter and the clan" was a fucking massive record in the Isle of Skye but I don't see that making it qualify for rock'n roll immortality...

mms

sometimes
Backjob said:
Well Runrig's "The cutter and the clan" was a fucking massive record in the Isle of Skye but I don't see that making it qualify for rock'n roll immortality...

yeah but reign in blood is absolutley fkin awesome.
it's got all the sum parts, rick rubin, loads of crap about the devil, atonal guitar solos of a kind never heard in rock before, scornful superhuman speed and you can easily fit it on one side of a c90.

craner

Beast of Burden
I wasn't claiming that it qualified for rock and roll immortality. I've never even heard the record. I was just imparting an interesting titbit, you stroppy git.

I just sevred a customer in my shop who said "you may hate me, but I hate you too. The emotion is completely reciprocated."

I hadn't even said anything!