Rock!

scottdisco

rip this joint please
notice i saw em blow <i>away</i> ver Death... ...i really should think more carefully about my choice of words in future.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
i think they destroyed every band they played with (and themselves). morrow's last band before his (very) untimely death were fantastic live too.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
Rip

yeah hear hear.

i only ever saw IM but they were remarkable.

stalking the stage like pitbulls was the phrase of choice at Kerrang! but it was one cliche that held water.

fabulous sight.

Morrow burned bright etc.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
he couldn't have been more different off stage- hugely funny, generous etc etc. still extremely upsetting. much missed.

kerrang wet themselves at the sight of him. unsuprising, given their liking of rubbish such as cradle of filth.

Last edited:

matt b

Indexing all opinion
in light of the above, i'd also add rorschach, hard to swallow, infest and citizen's arrest to the list.

craner

Beast of Burden
Marconi plays the mamba, listen to the radio, don't you remember
We built this city, we built this city on rock an' roll

I love it, but what does it mean?

egg

Dumpy's Rusty Nut
oliver craner said:
Marconi plays the mamba, listen to the radio, don't you remember
We built this city, we built this city on rock an' roll

I love it, but what does it mean?
Classic.

The lyrics for the chorus must never deal with anything but the most basic of human emotions...stick to the cliches...they deal with the emotional topics we all feel... the lyrics can be quite meaningless in a literal sense but still have a great emotional pull (The Manual)

Or as Robbie would say

Listen to the radio
And you will hear the songs you know

Or is it

you will hear the songs, you know?

But the sheer force of the vocal arrangement communicates what isn't contained in Starship's lyrics. I watched the video the other day and it made me wish that Mannequin was still on at the cinema. THAT's the power of rock.

appleblim

Iron Monkey - one of the best bands i have ever seen.

used to frequent a club called Devils Church...IM played once, broke monitors, destroyed the stage, and wrecked the promotors house afterwards too.....they were dangerous....

mms

sometimes
i ws wrong about black sabbath being the only good band cos i forgot about lightning bolt.
If you ever get the chance to see them do, they are a man in a mask with a mic strapped to his face, singing and playing the drums with another guy playing guitar.
They play off the edge of the stage, in the audience. You have to be pretty hardcore to go down there, you have to be prepared to bleed a little, get the sweat of the guy in the kyuss t shirt on you, and bang your head into the girl in the misfits shirts' chin.

They sound more like an industrial techno mash up night tho, all tearing electric energy. abstracted psychedelic and strangley joyful. They are on load records which is a good label and like ipecac, hydrahead etc realise potential of rock and electronics.

i didnt stand near the front when i saw them, i don't want to get my red bow tie and my cream cord suit dirty.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
yeah, lightning bolt rule. they have an ace dvd too, which is a pretty good representation of the live experience.
they are a drummer (who is absolutely insane in a sped up jazz/ hardcore fashion) and a bassist BTW ;)

vincebus eruptum, noxagt and men's recovery project also have stuff on load.

luka

decent thread. this reynolds recommendation turns out to be a real winner. i dont like rock much.

luka

King of sparks/sharp dressed man are the other two mentioned here. Both great but again characterless, thin, meek vocals