New Justin Timberlake song.

swears

preppy-kei
stelfox said:
dupri is fucking huge - he's one of the most known producers around. he's way more important than harrison, storch etc, on a par with swizz beats and maybe only eclipsed by the neptunes and timbaland

Yeah, and he's shagged Janet Jackson.

Tim F

I reckon Jermaine Dupri/JD is probably as well known as the Neptunes and Timbaland actually - he does so many guest raps and choruses on other records (e.g. the second most recent Mariah single). He just isn't name-dropped in non-rap/R&B circles to the same extent as the more obviously auterist Timabaland/Neptunes.

mms

sometimes
i like the rave stabiosity but the nine inch nailing of his voice makes it sound a bit confused.

Precious Cuts and Tim F kinda get what I mean

1 - he doesn't get that namedrop credit these egos crave and 2 - outside of hip-hop and rnb circles (and the industry I add) his name isn't dropped as much which is what they were looking to achieve by linking Timbo and the Neps to the first Timberlake project....which is vital for the total crossover they desired....

gumdrops

where's the bridge in the song? i was waiting for it as timbaland says he was going to take it there. this track is okay, i like the synths but its underwhelming like timbalands recent productions for nelly furtado. i know timbaland is the king of minimalism but a lot of his R&B tracks as of late (id even put cry me a river in that category) have felt really undernourished and a little underdeveloped. they could do with some fleshing out. great beats, not so great songs.

dupri is excellent, but he doesnt get that universal recognition because he hasnt got a signature sound (not a bad thing as you dont get bored of the same soundbanks/rhythmic sigs etc with him) unless you count his annoying adlibs. hes more old school oriented in the sense that hes not so hung up on production and sonic tricks, hes more just about finding 'hits' and 'good songs' (his work with xscape was some of the best R|&B of the 90s and he got a lot of respect from me for what he did on the new mariah album). plus, like tactics said, his sound hasnt been 'pop' enough on the whole either like timbaland or the neptunes so mainstream recognition (which is what hes been moaning about for the last few years) has mostly passed him by. hes shagging janet jackson though so life could be worse for him.

Last edited:

hint

party record with a siren
You don't get pop recognition by working with Kriss Kross and Lil Bow Wow... he's invested too much in stuff like that in the past, I guess.

His recent production for Mariah hass been excellent though and Stunnas by Jagged Edge is a monster.

gumdrops

hint said:
You don't get pop recognition by working with Kriss Kross and Lil Bow Wow... he's invested too much in stuff like that in the past, I guess.

His recent production for Mariah hass been excellent though and Stunnas by Jagged Edge is a monster.

actually, you get a LOT of pop attention from working with kriss kross and lil bow wow! 'jump', anyone? hes just not taken as seriously as hes not as 'avant garde' or auteurist as some of his peers. arguably, he didnt jettison the more traditional 'soul/R&B' based elements of his music either, for the most part, which the neptunes and timbaland did.

hint

party record with a siren
gumdrops said:
actually, you get a LOT of pop attention from working with kriss kross and lil bow wow! 'jump', anyone? hes just not taken as seriously as hes not as 'avant garde' or auteurist as some of his peers. arguably, he didnt jettison the more traditional 'soul/R&B' based elements of his music either, for the most part, which the neptunes and timbaland did.

Erm... Jump was a one-off novelty hit... (Lil) Bow Wow hasn't yet done much in pop terms... same story with Da Brat...

Pop attention has got nothing to do with being "taken seriously".

My point is that Jermaine Dupri has never really broken a new artist that has gone on to build a solid international career. That's how you get a big profile like The Neptunes and Timbaland. JD's most successful work (in industry terms) has been with artists who are already established and this counts against him in terms of public acclaim.

I'm not saying he doesn't deserve praise.

adruu

This Is It
i still get the " i missed the bus" chorus in my head sometimes when the situation comes up...it's pretty damn sad really (1) that I still ride the bus (2) I remember a dumb song.

original topic though -- i expect more from the two timb(s)...

gumdrops

hint said:
Erm... Jump was a one-off novelty hit... (Lil) Bow Wow hasn't yet done much in pop terms... same story with Da Brat...

Pop attention has got nothing to do with being "taken seriously".

My point is that Jermaine Dupri has never really broken a new artist that has gone on to build a solid international career. That's how you get a big profile like The Neptunes and Timbaland. JD's most successful work (in industry terms) has been with artists who are already established and this counts against him in terms of public acclaim.

I'm not saying he doesn't deserve praise.

i didnt say pop attention automatically = being taken seriously, but pharrell and timbaland *are* taken quite seriously because they have quite singular visions and also because they have/had a lot of pop success.

jump was a one off hit, but i think bow wow has done quite well in the US, and most of da brat's albums have gone platinum. xscape went platinum. JD helped break usher's second album (he wasnt exactly a big name when can u get with it came out) that made him huge, the same way timbaland took over from r kelly for aaliyahs second album. i dont know who the neps have really introduced and made huge (apart from clipse)- their first big hits were for NORE and mc lyte and their biggest productions were for JT and gwen stefani. i dont think theres anyone theyve taken from nowhere and developed and made into stars or good artists like dr dre did with snoop or diddy did with mary j blige.

Last edited:

turtles

in the sea
adruu said:
i still get the " i missed the bus" chorus in my head sometimes when the situation comes up...it's pretty damn sad really (1) that I still ride the bus (2) I remember a dumb song.
hahaha omg I also have this happen to me all the time even though I don't think I've even heard that song again since it came out however many years ago. you are not alone!

swears

preppy-kei
A big part of the appeal of Justin Timberlake is the fact that he tries to be all street and hard and fails. It's sort of endearing, everybody knows Justin is a big girls blouse, he knows it. (Chris Rock ripped him for it at the MTV awards Justin and stood up, solemn-faced and applauded) It's his slightly nerdy charm that lets him get away with it. He can't compete on an artistic level with the big names in R'n'B, that's not the point, but he's fucking great at making these goofy, fun records.

swears

preppy-kei
My Love

Another new one "My Love".
Heard a lo-fi version on youtube with one of those anti piracy messages cropping up every ten seconds, I'll have to track down a decent copy.
He's singing in a really high, feminine voice, which is always a bonus and Timbaland's beat sounds great, TI's on it, liked that "Why You Wanna" tune so it's shaping up to be a sweet track. Wish I could give it a proper listen though.

soundslike1981

swears said:
A big part of the appeal of Justin Timberlake is the fact that he tries to be all street and hard and fails. It's sort of endearing, everybody knows Justin is a big girls blouse, he knows it. (Chris Rock ripped him for it at the MTV awards Justin and stood up, solemn-faced and applauded) It's his slightly nerdy charm that lets him get away with it. He can't compete on an artistic level with the big names in R'n'B, that's not the point, but he's fucking great at making these goofy, fun records.

The extremely feminine way in which he's singing on this new single seems to indicate any pretense at "street and hard" is fading quickly.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
the problem i have with this song is that its overshadowed by how very good his first LP was (in parts). So few r&b records get near 'What You Got' - not even Justins own new one!

Tim F

Really? I always thought "What You Got" was one of the second-tier tracks on <i>Justified</i>. I somewhat predictably loved the four singles the most.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Tim F said:
Really? I always thought "What You Got" was one of the second-tier tracks on <i>Justified</i>. I somewhat predictably loved the four singles the most.

"What You Got" is the album's gem for me, it's like Timba circa "Indian Flute"... those sick crunchy drums and infectious Asian hook. That perfect ballance between sweet and sour that good r&b does so well.