version

I liked the open letter to Life magazine and that one about viruses I posted earlier

Have you read his letter to Truman Capote where he put a curse on him? You'd shit yourself if you opened the post and someone had sent you that letter.

July 23, 1970

My Dear Mr. Truman Capote

This is not a fan letter in the usual sense—unless you refer to ceiling fans in Panama. Rather call this a letter from “the reader”—vital statistics are not in capital letters—a selection from marginal notes on material submitted as all “writing” is submitted to this department. I have followed your literary development from its inception, conducting on behalf of the department I represent a series of inquiries as exhaustive as your own recent investigations in the sunflower state. I have interviewed all your characters beginning with Miriam—in her case withholding sugar over a period of several days proved sufficient inducement to render her quite communicative—I prefer to have all the facts at my disposal before taking action. Needless to say, I have read the recent exchange of genialities between Mr. Kenneth Tynan and yourself. I feel that he was much too lenient. Your recent appearance before a senatorial committee on which occasion you spoke in favor of continuing the present police practice of extracting confessions by denying the accused the right of consulting consul prior to making a statement also came to my attention. In effect you were speaking in approval of standard police procedure: obtaining statements through brutality and duress, whereas an intelligent police force would rely on evidence rather than enforced confessions. You further cheapened yourself by reiterating the banal argument that echoes through letters to the editor whenever the issue of capital punishment is raised: “Why all this sympathy for the murderer and none for his innocent victims?” I have in line of duty read all your published work. The early work was in some respects promising—I refer particularly to the short stories. You were granted an area for psychic development. It seemed for a while as if you would make good use of this grant. You choose instead to sell out a talent that is not yours to sell. You have written a dull unreadable book which could have been written by any staff writer on the New Yorker—(an undercover reactionary periodical dedicated to the interests of vested American wealth). You have placed your services at the disposal of interests who are turning America into a police state by the simple device of deliberately fostering the conditions that give rise to criminality and then demanding increased police powers and the retention of capital punishment to deal with the situation they have created. You have betrayed and sold out the talent that was granted you by this department. That talent is now officially withdrawn. Enjoy your dirty money. You will never have anything else. You will never write another sentence above the level of In Cold Blood. As a writer you are finished. Over and out. Are you tracking me? Know who I am? You know me, Truman. You have known me for a long time. This is my last visit.

version

Almost done with Exterminator! now. Another good one. I dunno whether it's a novel or short story collection, seen it called both and it feels about as close to short stories as anything I've read of his. It's relatively straight prose with the odd cut-up section and each story/chapter feels more self contained than usual. Almost feels like Borges at times. He sets up a situation then either fades it out ambiguously or really puts a full stop on it, e.g. someone sees some horror or falls into a trap and it cuts off at that moment or the text drifts into one of his descriptive/montage passages and dissipates.

There's an interesting thread through a couple of them where he puts forward some theory of Gysin's that the white race was the product of a nuclear explosion in the Gobi desert 30,000 years ago. The explosion destroyed the society that produced it and left a bunch of radiated albinos who took shelter in caves and contracted a virus/parasite which Freud later identified as the unconscious. The virus means they're incapable of minding their own business as their bodies are no longer their own and this is what drives white colonialism/imperialism.

Another interesting one's some fictionalised account of the 1968 Democratic National Convention involving Jean Genet.

Benny Bunter

I listened to an interview the other day where he said he used to work as a bug exterminator before he was a writer and he absolutely loved it.

version

I listened to an interview the other day where he said he used to work as a bug exterminator before he was a writer and he absolutely loved it.

Yeah, there's a section in this one about it. That's where the stuff with the bug powder in the Cronenberg Naked Lunch comes from too.

You read ticket yet @version ? Just found a cheap copy, arrives in a couple of weeks. Fucking love Amazon.

No, not yet. Just the intro. You manage to get the Penguin one?

version

Another interesting one's some fictionalised account of the 1968 Democratic National Convention involving Jean Genet.

I think this one's the most directly political thing I've read of his. A lot of his stuff has a political angle, but in this there's a section where the narrator lists the five things any American political platform should be providing an answer to in 1968,

1. Vietnam, which he says is unwinnable and seems more like an attempt at provoking China than anything else.
2. Alienated youth, which he says is a result of young people having been offered absolutely nothing by the establishment.
3. Black power, which he says should be responded to by finding out what black people want and giving it to them.
4. The police and judicial system, which he says aren't fit for purpose.
5. The disappearing dollar, which he says is collapsing while the rich stockpile gold, weapons, etc.

He also says there's something wrong with the whole concept of money.

"The lies are obvious. The machinery is laid bare. All Americans are being shoved by the deadweight of a broken control machine right in front of each other's faces."

version

About halfway through Interzone. Another banger. It's consciously arranged so you can see the emergence of his voice from Junky to Naked Lunch. The middle section's collected under "Lee's Journals" and it's this hybrid of fiction and journaling where he slips into routines and talks about his technique, why he uses "Lee" as his representative within the texts.

"I see the way to solve contradictions, to unite fragmentary, unconnected projects: I will simply transcribe Lee's impression of Interzone. The fragmentary quality of the work is inherent in the method and will resolve itself so far as necessary. That is, I include the author, Lee, in the novel, and by doing so separate myself from him so that he becomes another character, central to be sure, occupying a special position, but not myself at all. This could go on in an endless serial arrangement, but I would always be the observer and not the participant by the very act of writing about a figure who represents myself."

version

About halfway through Interzone. Another banger. It's consciously arranged so you can see the emergence of his voice from Junky to Naked Lunch. The middle section's collected under "Lee's Journals" and it's this hybrid of fiction and journaling where he slips into routines and talks about his technique, why he uses "Lee" as his representative within the texts.

"I see the way to solve contradictions, to unite fragmentary, unconnected projects: I will simply transcribe Lee's impression of Interzone. The fragmentary quality of the work is inherent in the method and will resolve itself so far as necessary. That is, I include the author, Lee, in the novel, and by doing so separate myself from him so that he becomes another character, central to be sure, occupying a special position, but not myself at all. This could go on in an endless serial arrangement, but I would always be the observer and not the participant by the very act of writing about a figure who represents myself."

"And how can I ever write a 'novel'? I can't and won't. The 'novel' is a dead form, rigid and arbitrary. I can't use it.

The chapters form a mosaic, with the dream impact of juxtaposition, like objects abandoned in a hotel drawer, a form of still life.

[...]

This novel is a scenario for future action in the real world. Junk, Queer, Yagé, reconstructed my past. The present novel is an attempt to create my future. In a sense it is a guidebook, a map."

version

Some of the stories in 1001 Nights may have been variations on the legend of the Old Man of The Mountains, Hassan-i-Sabbah, and his "garden of paradise" where he allegedly placed drugged youth to trick them into killing on command on the promise that one day they would return there

from The Old Man of the Mountain by C E Nowell

This essay has 23 pages.