luka

prynne is hopelessly addicted to this one ;
whatever it's called. ive pretty much given up on punctuation beyond full stops. its uneccessary.

luka

ive talked a bit before about how the sentence seems to be becoming obsolete. just strings of keywords now.
a lot of reading is done by computers anyone. eg your job applications.
self motivated earnest loving bubbly personality devoted

version

This sort of thing's one of the reasons I was arguing he isn't as samey as you think he is when you aren't reading him. A book full of block capitals and em dashes reads very differently to a book full of ellipses and relatively straight, mixed-case sentences.

Some might respond you're nitpicking for the sake of variation, but a writer like Burroughs is very conscious of the effects of language and writing and deliberately draws your attention to it. What at first seems like a minor variation can become quite pronounced if you get into his mindset.

version

When I was reading Nova Express the other day, I realised this is what Pynchon's doing in the 'Kenosha Kid' section of Gravity's Rainbow. It suddenly seemed so obvious he was doing Burroughs. You've got the repetition of a phrase with different parts stressed along with a character called "The ... Kid". It's Burroughs.

Benny Bunter

I picked up a copy of gravity's rainbow in a used bookshop the other day but I can't be arsed to start reading it yet.

entertainment

ive talked a bit before about how the sentence seems to be becoming obsolete. just strings of keywords now.

the terms of communication are coming to be defined by the image.

language adapts to survive as text-images

version

Yeah, imagine using full sentences in a search engine. Ridiculous.