DJs that really earn their money

tryptych

waiting for a time
dogger said:
interesting...i saw him last month at melt festival in germany headlining on the second day and he way exceeded my expectations (my expectations being a set comprising of whale noises/microphone dropped in a blender or similar). he played a totally committed, tecnically flawless and surprising varied set (everything from ambient to drill n bass, via sleep archive and missy elliot), complete with the best visuals i think i've seen, and disabled basketball players on stage.

Definately. When Aphex wants to rock it, he most certainly can. I've seen him play several times over the last few years and he's always been excellent and varied, whether it's been sandpaper and upside down records or straight up detroit techno.

Kuma

The Konspirator
Storm: hands fucking down everytime i've seen her. tight mixing, across the board musical taste and very few rewinds.

Kode 9: a little bit of everything is a good thing and i'll take that over two hours of the same thing, every time.

DJ Heather: Boom! On stage presence along but jacking house is magic when hammering the mixer.

*goes back to dancing about architechture*

mms

sometimes
dogger said:
interesting...i saw him last month at melt festival in germany headlining on the second day and he way exceeded my expectations (my expectations being a set comprising of whale noises/microphone dropped in a blender or similar). he played a totally committed, tecnically flawless and surprising varied set (everything from ambient to drill n bass, via sleep archive and missy elliot), complete with the best visuals i think i've seen, and disabled basketball players on stage.

yeah he doesn't ever play sand paper or whale noises that's a myth, when hes good hes amazing, like at last years glade, he can also be shite too.
surgein and claude young are top boys, rossi b and luca i always enjoy when they are on form, kode 9, loefah rah rah rah.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Ned said:
It's such a shame that when people like Villalobos come to London they almost always play at Fabric, where the 10% of the people who are there to see Villalobos have to queue for hours because of the 90% of people who would go no matter who was DJing.

I couldn't be more in agreement if I was standing in front of you with a big banner reading "YES! I AGREE!" and simultaneously yelling "You are so right!"

It's a fucking shame, t'be sure.

peripheral

ukbass said:
Youngsta is very tight, you're right. He also sends me to sleep and lets average tracks play far too long and so gives himself longer to cue up a tune before going in the mix. Prefer Hatcha to Youngsta.

regardless of selection, there's no arguing with the fact that you could conceivably sort a well-done steak in the time it takes youngsta to cue up a tune. hatcha has more skills in his repertoire, by miles.

ewmy

Genre Addict
Norman Jay MBE. Always plays the right tune, and I've never heard a bad set of his. And as literally everybody loves him (I think it's now illegal not to) the atmosphere is always fantastic.

sufi

lala
Storm: hands fucking down everytime i've seen her. tight mixing, across the board musical taste and very few rewinds.
RIP kemi
kemistry0iw.jpg

gone but not forgot

KernKätzchen

baboon2004 said:
For example, when I went to Berlin (which I loved), the dancing was, to be charitable, not the most exuberant.

Ah but when you're planning on carrying on until 3pm the next day, you've got to keep some energy in reserve. Cos you can do that out there. Berghain in Berlin regularly stays open from 12 on Sat eve/Sun morning until late Sunday *evening* and in my experience they don't start dancing even slightly exuberantly until 6 or 7am - about the same time a Brit would be being shunted off home in an overpriced illegal minicab.

viktorvaughn

The DJs ive seen who really merit what i think of as the 'craftsman' bracket:

Matthew Herbert (Think what you like of his music his DJing is great)
Kode9
Luke Vibert (Took me 3 times to actually see him as first two he didnt show up but was excellent eventually)
Weatherall

Thats all for the minute.
Maybe Kenny Ken for upfront fun fun fun jungle sans any wankyness. Zabelia is a bit trendy at the minute but he was great when i saw him.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
Prefer Hatcha to Youngsta.

Hatch played a really unadventurous, overly dark set last night. Enjoyed the first 20 minutes but then it just got ridiculous...

Couple of skream tracks, then...

5 Benga dubs in a row. 5 Coki dubs in a row. 5 Mala dubs in a row. Literally.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Ah but when you're planning on carrying on until 3pm the next day, you've got to keep some energy in reserve. Cos you can do that out there. Berghain in Berlin regularly stays open from 12 on Sat eve/Sun morning until late Sunday *evening* and in my experience they don't start dancing even slightly exuberantly until 6 or 7am - about the same time a Brit would be being shunted off home in an overpriced illegal minicab.

OK. Berghain was actually the one I went to. Stayed until about 8, if I remember rightly.

I see your point, and I love the fact that you can stay out il all hours in berlin, but it does seem a bit of a waste of one's time to go out and deliberately hold back for hours on end...

Logos

Ghosts of my life
regardless of selection, there's no arguing with the fact that you could conceivably sort a well-done steak in the time it takes youngsta to cue up a tune. hatcha has more skills in his repertoire, by miles.

I disagree - well what I mean is, so what. When you think about the set as a whole - pace, development, the vibe generally - its not necessarily the best approach to do rapid fire mixing. Its nice to hear tune breathe and thats what Yunx does. His mixing is very precise and it has an impact that is often substantially greater than is straightforward approach to mixing would suggest.

Its not about how many mixes you can que up in 5 minutes.

mms

sometimes
Hatch played a really unadventurous, overly dark set last night. Enjoyed the first 20 minutes but then it just got ridiculous...

Couple of skream tracks, then...

5 Benga dubs in a row. 5 Coki dubs in a row. 5 Mala dubs in a row. Literally.

yes i've not enjoyed his sets for a while he's sort of done what i really thought would be one of dusteps pitfalls, just dropping the reggaefied half speed bits.

MATT MAson

BROADSIDE
Jazzy Jeff has to get a mention in this thread. I have never seen a DJ work so hard, with so many disparate genres of music and achieve such great results on dancefloors.

EZ still has it as well on a good night. And Frankie Knuckles has this weird hold over dancefloors, always making people cry and stuff...

tate

Brown Sugar
Equinox is hands down the best jungle/drum and bass DJ you would ever hear. His selection and attitude is great.
No disagreement there. Whether old school atmospheric or new school leftfield edits, Equinox is simply out of this world. Such confidence, and, as you say, attitude (especially with cuts and blends). His mixes repay study and repeated listening.

I'd also add, of course, Naphta. But that almost goes without saying. :)

For the long blend, and provocative selection, DJ Clever deserves a mention. I don't think that I have ever heard a mix by Brett that didn't teach me something, or show me something new, about jungle. He truly practices the old idea that by putting two tracks together you can make a new one - who in leftfield dnb today does it to the degree that he does? Brett's mixes always show class, intelligence, musicality, and skill. Haven't heard the dubstep one, though.

swears

preppy-kei
Jazzy Jeff has to get a mention in this thread. I have never seen a DJ work so hard, with so many disparate genres of music and achieve such great results on dancefloors.

I went to see Felix Tha Housecat at Chibuku in Liverpool a couple of years back, and my hip hop head mate saw Jazzy Jeff upstairs at the same clubnight. I popped up to see him during the set and everyone was moshing to "Teen Spirit" and my mate walked out of the scrum disgusted and said to me "He's been playing wicked hip hop classics all night, and this got the biggest reaction." It amused and saddened me at the same time. :D :(

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
yes i've not enjoyed his sets for a while he's sort of done what i really thought would be one of dusteps pitfalls, just dropping the reggaefied half speed bits.

Ah, but Hatcha and Yunx B2B = :)

Yunx goes off on these deep, sub-techno, micro-edit voyages into hi-tek dub-space, goes just a bit too far for a couple of minutes, Hatcha takes over and bangs out a bad tune with a pumping reggae vocal on it. Ups it for a bit, gives it back to Yunx who goes sub-aquatic again.

Absolutely electrifiying when they're together.