Martin Hannett

gek-opel

entered apprentice
@soundslike1981:to me the glass crash at the end of "I Remember Nothing", the reverb in a swimming pool noises at the beginning of "Decades", the bizarre drum production on side one of Closer (ie odd ethnic tinged bass drum/tom sounds captured in strange reverb spaces), or the rush of purple noise that coagulates like a dark drug glut at the finale of ""Disorder" are what really sticks with me... that glass crash actually is almost the keynote to the entire band, not just the idea of the sound, but the way the glass skitters musically across some kind of surface (I have endlessly sampled that sound, attempting to build tracks with that musical glass skittering ambiance...) Its those bits on Burial's album (the psycho-acoustic stuff again, knives and shell casings glittering in some artificial echo-space, church bells, hinted at and distant, the almost musique concrete sound) that really hooked me in...

Last edited:

Buick6

too punk to drunk
When I think of Martin Hannet, I think of that hilarious article Steve Albini wrote about bands he'd recorded and him being the Martin hannett of that generation. Irnoic that time has just in fact made him that!

I love 'everything's gone green' though.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
gek-opel said:
@soundslike1981:to me the glass crash at the end of "I Remember Nothing", the reverb in a swimming pool noises at the beginning of "Decades", the bizarre drum production on side one of Closer (ie odd ethnic tinged bass drum/tom sounds captured in strange reverb spaces), or the rush of purple noise that coagulates like a dark drug glut at the finale of ""Disorder" are what really sticks with me...

Absolutely, and don't forget the swirls at the beginning of New Dawn Fades, leading into that untouchable bass riff.

As for the person who said that JD are a short-term obsession, I beg to differ...after several years away, I've been playing them constantly for the past week, and have stunned at just how....singular so much of 'Unknown Pleasures' is.

squibl

I love the way Hannett brought reverb and delay to the forefront of the record. To me it vividly conjures images of warehouses, empty basements, desolate urban spaces..

I love the way Loefah does that too.

mms

sometimes
my fave is the mix of looking for a hill top section 25 and also the mixes on love and dancing. wonderful.

i never realised he produced esg although none of his touch has gone in to that, those are live recordings really. i think the albini comparison is off in terms of technique - but a historical comparison is probably closer.

bunnnnnn

it was martin rushent who produced the 'love and dancing' album though, wasn't it? as well as david essex, according to discogs.

that 'looking from a hilltop' remix is really great -- obviously it's a bit like blue monday #2, but given that it's produced by new order under their BeMusic production guise that kindof makes sense. everything else i've heard by section 25 has been pretty crap (albeit crap with beautiful artwork). if there _is_ a really great section 25 album out there (ie. up to the standard of looking from a hilltop) i'd love to know, especially if LTM have reissued it.

hint

party record with a siren
mms said:
i never realised he produced esg although none of his touch has gone in to that, those are live recordings really. i think the albini comparison is off in terms of technique - but a historical comparison is probably closer.

He's the anti-Albini, if anything.

Telling the band how to play and then manipulating the recordings to such an extent that it sounds nothing like how the band sounded before they stepped in the studio... Albini is on record saying that this is the kind of thing that he firmly opposes.

labrat

hot on the heels of love
there's an untitled drum machine thing on the Joy Division flexi that i've always suspected was mainly Martin Hannett.

dHarry

It's not entirely accurate to say that JD hated Hannet's production trickery - Sumner/Hook/Morris had problems with the way their ferocious punk assault (on the evidence of Les Bains Douches) was compromised, but Ian raved to Deborah his wife (according to her Touching From A Distance) about the FX etc., excited that they were creating art from the basic songs.

And Ian was musical director of the band so to speak; he'd tell them which riffs to expand into songs, guide arrangements, etc. One of them said later that they felt like their eyes were missing after he died. A profoundly physical way of describing it, quite visceral despite their apparently callous way of continuing in the aftermath, blindly groping forward on Movement...

I've been listening to them on and off since my mid-teens in the mid-80s and still think of them not as the archetypical post-punk band, but as some kind of apotheosis of rock itself - instinct, passion, poetry, pretension, production magic, guitar heroics from someone who could barely play, up-front basslines of doom, precision drumming (love those stories about Morris, already metronomic, being asked by Hannett to record each drum part (hats, snare etc) seperately - what torture for a drummer! I think Beckett must have chuckled at what he put(s) actors through in a similar way), like some kind of musical carbon, by turns black as coal, bursting into flames, or compressed hard as diamond.

Alchemy.

k-punk's joy division piece is brilliant.

shykitten

peek-a-boo
owen said:
also good are the things he did with his 'band' the invisible girls backing pauline murray ... very clattery and atmospheric, a sort of murky sub-disco. lovely.
ooh Pauline Murray and the Invisible Girls, my favourite album ever! i can't even begin to describe how beautiful it is, or why (although "murky sub-disco" is a good start!). i just love it. sorry that isn't very analytical, but that's the way it is sometimes with perfect pop...

soundslike1981 said:
I actually really like that first New Order album 'Movement' which "sounds" Divisionish. Was that Hannett produced?
yes Movement was produced by Martin Hannett, and was apparently the time of the break-up of the partnership between him and the group, who (inevitably, i suppose) left behind the eerie Hannett production and went on to produce themselves in a shiny Kraftwerky style on Power, Corruption and Lies, which is my personal favourite NO work.

but i agree Movement is great, a difficult but ultimately compelling 'coming to terms' post-traumatic/transitional between-spaces record. apparently unlistenable ever since for the group which is understandable... but the fact that they found it torturous should not detract from its impact. in fact such 'difficult' albums because they are the result of tensions in a group, are often more exciting than those records when 'good vibes' in the studio led to self-indulgent crap. but because the group themselves dismissed it and have sort of repressed it into their past, Movement tends to be overlooked, which is a shame.

dHarry said:
(love those stories about Morris, already metronomic, being asked by Hannett to record each drum part (hats, snare etc) seperately - what torture for a drummer!
well this is part of the Hannett method, that it is alienating, literally deconstructing the sound, and by extension the musicians. i think this is part of the disturbing, existential effect of Joy Division which suited Ian Curtis's lyrics so well.

Last edited:

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
Been mentally riffing on this tread today, and come up with a few things...

@soundslike & dharry - OTM for noting that JD are unrepresentitive of post punk as a movement. The idea of deconstructing or demystifying the rock'n'roll experience held no interest for them at all - they revelled in the shamanic element of performance. Sans hannett, their music isnt very experimental at all - the warsaw stuff has an unmistakeably oi-ish flavour and more than a hint of metal. Even more than the music, the arc of their career and of Curtis's life is 24-carat Classic Rock Myth.

The fact that they're the most revered band of that period despite having precious little truck with it's major cultural tropes says a few things... It suggests that at the core of the rock experience is a mystical element that post-punk's theoretical assault never really dealt with - depending on your bias that can be either a good or a bad thing. Whichever, it hints that throughout this era there was a silent majority of music fans who wanted to enjoy powerful, authentic music that they identified with without being forced into mental contortions.

Above all it suggests that JD were the most successful of the post punk bands at reinvigorating rock with meaning and intensity, and I think they managed this because they genuinely believed in the power of music to change thier own lives, in the mystical sense of connecting to some other, higher level of meaning through noise, energy and performance. No one in the history of rock has ever invested more than Ian Curtis in this ideal- this is someone who, once his epilepsy became apparent, would regularly risk his health and concievably his life to perform on stage. To go on to a stage knowing that you might not come off it alive is pretty fucking intense which ever way you cut it - however much you may dread 'authenticity' in rock, it's hard not to be impressed by that kind of commitment.

This is really interesting, because to associate post punk with a desire to destroy rock in this sense is to misread it completely - punks hated what rock had become by 1976, but they yearned to restore it to what it had been in the 50s & 60s - magnetic, futuristic, a gleeful destroyer of mediocraty and an inextinguishable source of possibilities; in short, a force that transforms lives, on both a mass and an individual level. All of postpunk's theoretical strategems and manouvres were deployed with this goal in mind. So at this deepest level, post punk was 'retro' and mystical: they were desperate to believe. The sublime irony is that JD, in their untutored way, zeroed in on this hidden need while other bands could only orbit it at varying distances. So dharry is quite right when he calls JD 'some kind of apothesis of rock itself'.

Hannett was the perfect foil for JD, although they didn't think so at the time. He venerated the music of the 50s & 60s, both stylistically (50s rockabilly & 60s punk psychadelia being the truest references for his sound) and more infamously in terms of his general approach - which was, that the producer's job is to create a record that best embodies what he (the producer) judges to be the band's core aesthetic; iit's nice if the band agree, but generally their opinions should be given no credence whatsoever and the producer is duty bound to use any method at his disposal to get the record made. It's a sign of JD's naivety that they allowed Hannett to operate in this way as any other punk band would have told him to fuck off. What Hannett saw in punk, beyond a general excitement at the spectacle of youth in revolt, was the chance to work with bands who concieved thier sound primarily or wholly in terms of live performance. He, Martin Hannett, would be the backroom genius who caught their flashes of brilliance on the documents before which future generations would genuflect.

Hannett is a ridiculous figure in many ways, but he was the only one involved in Factory who fully understood how special JD were. It's a mistake to see his callous treatment of them as being dismissive of their abilities - on the contrary, he was ruthless precisely because he knew, with total clarity, what this record should sound like and how it should feel, and having a keen awareness of genius's transitiory nature he realized that he would only get a very limited number of chances to capture it. With bands he genuinely didnt give a toss about, Hannett's behavior was passive & scatty rather than despotic; cf the countless stories about him wandering out of sessions or falling asleep. Bummed & Movement are both sloppy pieces of work.

Even though Hannett's behavior made life uneasy for the band, at a deeper level it matched their belief and commitment to the rock ideal - and this allowed them to expand the intensity of their self image and their live shows into the area of recorded music, which they would otherwise have been unable to do. A live recording of a JD set would have been wholly inadequate. Instead, hannett created a soundworld which maintains a psychic connection to the idealised experience of the JD performance.

Again, sublime irony: Hannett wasnt trying to be experimental for it's own sake, or rebel against any percieved rock production orthodoxies - his single goal was to fashion the music so as to mirror curtis's emotional narratives as accurately as possible. But in doing this he, more than any other post punk producer, created a completely new type of rock music. The sheer sonic impact of those records is staggering even today - despite the huge influence they've had, there is still nothing on earth that sounds remotely like them.

Hannett is an anomoly among the great record producers - his track record is minimal, and quite a lot of that is frankly not very good. He wasnt particularly experimental, being stubbornly stuck in his ways and one could even say conservative. He certainly didnt nurture talent. What I love about him is that for those JD records, he risked being a total arsehole to people he loved because he wouldnt compromise his vision. If he had been wrong history would have seen him as a total clown...but he was right.

dHarry said:
One of them said later that they felt like their eyes were missing after he died. A profoundly physical way of describing it...

... and how fucking eerie is that? I think Bernard said that, presumably not having read Oedipus Rex beforehand. So there's this band, with a visionary shamanic singer (who by the way is epileptic), feels that he's marked for death but very publically struggles against it, and after his death (an act of catharsis for the spectating public), bernie says; we feel like our eyes are missing!!!

What chance did other bands of the era have of competing against that kind of narrative sweep?

owen

brilliant, brilliant post. seems churlish to take issue with it really, but i will on two points: 'rock' and conservatism, as i don't think this quite gets it. i mean there IS something very sun sessions about hannett, cavernous echo for the sake of the epic, mythic- but then at the same time he's working on something as totally un-rock as the first durutti column record, a collection of classical guitar pieces where hannett himself does practically everything else on synths and drum machines- also the 'test card' things which were solo and are terrific- especially 'second aspect' which is exemplary hauntology, a melted echoscape with very little precedent in rock whatsoever, but maybe some in the bbc radiophonic workshop. and while yeah, JD are an apothesis of rock of a sort, they never sounded like the doors. they sounded like very serious young men trying to play 'ring my bell'.

i guess though there is by hannett (obv you can hear this in ACR or ESG) the imposing of a fundamentally rock aesthetic on disco...? and funny that you say 'movement' is slapdash, its always struck me as almost too driven and obsessive in its relentless mournfulness and vast, over-detailed sound...

Kate Mossad

The sound on the IKON live VHS is amazing. Sounds like it was recorded on the camera microphone. Totally different to the records. Hear also the Nirvana tracks on 1991 The Year Punk Broke film. Never "got" Nirvana until I saw/heard that film. Hannet's production is unique genius. I used to take acid in a multi-storey car park overlooking the North Sea. I remember a sort of "plain-ambience" identical to the JD production.

Ned

Ruby Tuesday
squibl said:
I love the way Hannett brought reverb and delay to the forefront of the record. To me it vividly conjures images of warehouses, empty basements, desolate urban spaces..

I love the way Loefah does that too.

I definitely hear parallels between dubstep and Joy Division - focus on the bass, screechy hi-end, reverbed and over-compressed drums, general sense of emptiness and desolation...

soundslike1981

Well argued, Gabba. However, I would take issue with one of your argument's underlying assertions: that the majority of non-JD post-punk saw experimentation as the end, rather than a means to an end. Accrediting JD with some sort of visceral gravity around which other artists merely orbited seems too subjective to defend--it's certainly not what my ears hear or my gut feels with innumerable other bands which may be said to be more emodying of post-punks "central tropes" (one of which is presumably "experimentation"). I don't hear theorum and strategem in most "experimental" post-punk; and where the mental "seams" as it were are most conspicuous are on the legions of acts so aching to convey Curtis' sort of portentiousness that they chose the strategy of immitation. Dogmatism of a form is a sort of working theory, and the least adventuresome bands of the post-punk era can be by this token the most overtly theoretical, and the least visceral.