Martin Hannett

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
owen said:
brilliant, brilliant post. seems churlish to take issue with it really, but i will on two points: 'rock' and conservatism, as i don't think this quite gets it. i mean there IS something very sun sessions about hannett, cavernous echo for the sake of the epic, mythic- but then at the same time he's working on something as totally un-rock as the first durutti column record, a collection of classical guitar pieces where hannett himself does practically everything else on synths and drum machines- also the 'test card' things which were solo and are terrific- especially 'second aspect' which is exemplary hauntology, a melted echoscape with very little precedent in rock whatsoever, but maybe some in the bbc radiophonic workshop. and while yeah, JD are an apothesis of rock of a sort, they never sounded like the doors. they sounded like very serious young men trying to play 'ring my bell'.

i guess though there is by hannett (obv you can hear this in ACR or ESG) the imposing of a fundamentally rock aesthetic on disco...? and funny that you say 'movement' is slapdash, its always struck me as almost too driven and obsessive in its relentless mournfulness and vast, over-detailed sound...

Yeah, love that first duretti record. You're right to note the difference of approach in that Hannett played on that record, I'm pretty sure he didnt play anything on the JD records.

What are those test card things then - I've never heard of those. Any links?

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
Gabba Flamenco Crossover said:
What are those test card things then - I've never heard of those. Any links?

I think they're on the recent Factory Durutti Column reissue

D84

Did you guys see the Martin Hannett interview that was published in the Vagabond book that Touch released ? Apparently it's an interview that didn't make it to England's Dreaming (if memory serves).

Someone's transcribed it here