The next new thing.....

turtles

in the sea
I think an argument could be made that mp3s and digital culture in general already IS the next new thing. The ease of distribution and the diffusion of music into ever more portable and personalizable formats, the breakdown of personally constructed genre barriers (everyone has a bit of everything on their iPods), though these haven't necessarily changed the musical styles being produced they have definitely changed the way people hear music, both new and old. This might somewhat explain why things are stagnating a bit right now in terms of new musical developments--people's listening habits are doing the legwork that developing genres used to do in terms of "progress" and the like.

I was really struck by the fact that the latest batch of cell phones on the market are being made with bigger and louder speakers (in stereo!) for the purpose of playing mp3s out loud. Cell phones as the new ghetto blasters.

Troy

31 Seconds
I wonder why there is a desire for the Next Big Thing when we have a super-over-abundance of musics and styles right now?

If you know yourself and know what you like then you must be in hog heaven.

But I guess if you are a scene-watcher your time is up...

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
I think, since it's already happening now, the next thing will be an explosion of musically uneducated people who previously would not be able to produce and distribute but now can because of cheap PCs, software and broadband connections. I think we're basically already in the fruity loops generation for example 9th Wonder getting a fruity beat on Jay-Z's Black Album, not to mention everyone in Grime.

The thing they aren't really doing yet is using the net to bypass normal distribution channels, although you could argue with homegrown internet radio that is starting to happen.

The net, downloading, free-ness of production and consumption I think will be the major forces to shape whatever the new thing will be, as they are already. You see it in Grime already, the way a tune is thought of and discussed as if it's already 'released' even though it's only been played by one or two DJs on radio.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
The next big thing is christian religious music coming out in multiple genres - reggae, hip hop, rock etc. It's already big but I think it's going to get much bigger.

Is there a relationship between this neo rave thing and the rave that got busted in Essex last week?

Tim F is bang on about there being no lack of stripped-down / functional stuff now / last few years. In terms of the mass market it's fairly obvious that the "ugly old rock" resurgence is been and, well not gone, but established. Since Oasis really. I think it's reached its apotheosis with Arctic Monkeys - who I happen to think are the best british rock band of the last 20 years, certainly since the Stone Roses, extraordinarily good. No doubt dissensus will roundly condemn me for the heresy but there you are.

And whatever is going to be "new" at the mass market level is unlikely to be new to Dissensus ears, we're just too well-informed to be taken by surprise.

Woebot

I don't really like the kind of unrealistically hegemonised description of the "state of affairs" that allow people to make pronouncements like "the next new thing will be really simple and not over-produced, unlike all the over-produced music at the moment." It just seems to me to rely on consciously ignoring exactly half of what's going on at any particular time.

What are crunk, reggaeton, baile funk, the nu "French touch", nu wave indie etc etc ad nauseum if not examples of pretty simple, stripped down, "funktional" musics? There's hardly been a dearth of it of late.

But it seems to me that the idea of progress seems to be tied up with things being more referentially ornate. Also it behoves me to point out that when i'm talking about (fist punches sky, lol) the revolution i'm definitely talking about change in the scenery of US/UK music musical-mediascape. I'm also probably talking about the white middle-classes, about their radicalisation. Seems like nobody else (you list Reggaeton/BaileFunk/Crunk) really dont need or care about sudeen upeheavals- i'd even argue they're at root radical forms.

Obviously that lays the whole charge open to the accusation: "who the fuck cares either way?" But I do! Reserve the right to be subjective innit. Also seeing as how this middle-class demographic feeds the state's central structural ideas about itself, i like to see that shook up. Perhaps it has more of an impact that the low-level detonations of Crunk et al? Again reserving right to be subjective

People make the mistake of looking at one particular strand of music which, yes, might temporarily be characterised by either simplicity or sophistication, and then erroneously assuming that the development of this strand stands in metonymically for popular music as a whole.

As per above. I suppose we've seen increasingly a less hermetically rockist (in the old sense) worldview grow up among the media-hungry. I suspect in the 1960s The Stones/The Beatles were thee whole world to white middle-class people (perhaps all people in the UK) It was only tiny pockets of people that hijacked other musics for themselves, like the skinheads and ska. Certainly looking (as I have been) at US West-Coast LA rock, that seemed like the whole world to those people even when there was great jazz under their nose in LA and Mexico was just across the border. And the music certainly didn't suffer, even seeped into black music....

Actually it's one of the things about Globalism that (paradoxically) I regret. That the central core focus has shifted away from (ok this is risible) poor whitey's own middle-class culture. Always being syncretic and lacking focus on your own issues doesnt create strong musics. Funny things like The Beatles epic micro-drama "She's Leaving Home" spring to mind. So yeah I'd argue in favour of a slightly more enclosed world-view, argue in favour of ditching the legacy of other musics on the mainstream. Sounds kinda like apartheid *and* the NME, lol. But it shouldn't stop other scenes doing their things.

Maybe Folk is the way forward?????

And, really, simplicity vs sophistication is not the kind of aesthetic choice I think I <i>want</i> to make... it goes without saying that most really good music is a mediation b/w the two - but I guess we've had this argument before (I accept that my refusal to adopt an either/or position on this is a sign of weakness or komplicity with kapital etc.)

As per Simon SilverDollar's remarks. Again not sure it's the kind of choice I want to make, or one in which I'd be happy to see my "prediction" come true. To be explicit, it's "Never Mind The Bollocks" that stripped-down trad rock that is the touchstone for this idea.

By the way, my favourite example of a potential "next new thing" this year has been the Gypsy Beats & Balkan Bangers comp put out on Atlantic Jaxx - at once simple and sophisticated!

Gypsy. Hmm Gogol Bordello and all that. My friend Flashos involved in all this. Can't quite get with it myself.

Woebot

The next big thing is christian religious music coming out in multiple genres - reggae, hip hop, rock etc. It's already big but I think it's going to get much bigger.

Ok, yikes.

Is there a relationship between this neo rave thing and the rave that got busted in Essex last week?

Yes. Planning my own very small Neo-Rave next weekend ;)

Tim F is bang on about there being no lack of stripped-down / functional stuff now / last few years. In terms of the mass market it's fairly obvious that the "ugly old rock" resurgence is been and, well not gone, but established. Since Oasis really. I think it's reached its apotheosis with Arctic Monkeys - who I happen to think are the best british rock band of the last 20 years, certainly since the Stone Roses, extraordinarily good. No doubt dissensus will roundly condemn me for the heresy but there you are.

Agree with you here Paul.

http://www.woebot.com/2006/02/fire_engines_and_arctic_monkey.html

And whatever is going to be "new" at the mass market level is unlikely to be new to Dissensus ears, we're just too well-informed to be taken by surprise.

Yes. Ha!

john eden

male pale and stale

Bunch of kids chatting over a small pa system outside camden tube a few weekends back. Preaching the new testament over the dancehall "military" riddim.

I have the material stashed away for a largish piece on christian pop music but it stops around 1990 with the Nine O'Clock Service rave bizness in Sheffield.

mms

sometimes

paarovarju from finland, aesthetic christian free folk stuff

haven't raves been going on since,with only at tiny drop off after the cja?

they have been in cornwall.
the neo rave thing is different, neo rave is an nme concoction with bands playing music with a bit of electronics and ironic,rather smug flirtations with rave and that, also some fairly retro discoey stuff that's got caught u cos it's got guitars in etc.

raves are raves, electronic dancing music in fields still.

mms

sometimes
we are still yet to see an artist rise to prominence from myspace alone.

not sure if this will really happen,
myspace is too big now, and in actual fact it's not very useful really, its good to listen to music but in terms of reaching a broader audience, if you spam everyone by wanting to be their friend, you might get a small amount of listens etc, but not sure overall.

its good for artists to pre-test music before releasing it i guess, good for more direct feedback and the bulletin is useful for reaching a database.

I think the idea promoted around lily allen etc that they were myspace artists is a fallacy, esp as you only hear or read that in mags and on posters, tv etc, it just didn't happen that way, she was on telly b4 her single was out etc, very trad campaign with a modern twist towards myspace and blogging making to make her seem more normal rather than a public school educated daughter of a famous actor, which is obviously a prob if you are trying to come off as salt of the earth lil. i reckon her music is percieved as part of the dizzie/mia/ lily cannon, recent londonish people who talk slang and have origins in black music, sort of urban offshoot.

Last edited:

swears

preppy-kei
I think the idea promoted around lily allen etc that they were myspace artists is a fallacy, esp as you only hear or read that in mags and on posters, tv etc, it just didn't happen that way, she was on telly b4 her single was out etc, very trad campaign with a modern twist towards myspace and blogging making to make her seem more normal rather than a public school educated daughter of a famous actor...

Yeah I thought it was hilarious that everyone was going on in newspapers and magazines how The Arctic Monkeys were marketed solely this way. There was so many puff pieces in the NME, broadsheets, etc. You'd be reading in a national newspaper how their hype was limited to the net. It just beggars belief. And the real blog-tipped good stuff like Junior Boys and Burial gets almost completely ignored by the mainstream media.

mms

sometimes
Yeah I thought it was hilarious that everyone was going on in newspapers and magazines how The Arctic Monkeys were marketed solely this way. There was so many puff pieces in the NME, broadsheets, etc. You'd be reading in a national newspaper how their hype was limited to the net. It just beggars belief. And the real blog-tipped good stuff like Junior Boys and Burial gets almost completely ignored by the mainstream media.

well arctic monkeys were even more trad, they got a brilliant rep as a live unsigned band and used the internet as a wayof gathering fans. then got signed. i remember people saying yeah labels are dead look at the monkeys etc, but they still went thru a label to get their sales etc.
they could still die though, or change, i think the only way myspace could genuinley create a buzz around bands is by running a myspace label of sorts based on some kind of cold myspace stats, but it would just be competing with other labels then, so around we go.

Tim F

"But it seems to me that the idea of progress seems to be tied up with things being more referentially ornate. Also it behoves me to point out that when i'm talking about (fist punches sky, lol) the revolution i'm definitely talking about change in the scenery of US/UK music musical-mediascape. I'm also probably talking about the white middle-classes, about their radicalisation. Seems like nobody else (you list Reggaeton/BaileFunk/Crunk) really dont need or care about sudeen upeheavals- i'd even argue they're at root radical forms."

Hi Matt, if we're talking about white US/UK music then i can see your point more, although again i wonder if simplicity hasn't always been a main card in this music's pack. I wonder too if a lot of music's referentiality these days is simply that we as listeners are able to discern more. I mean the interesting thing about the Arctic Monkeys is that, for all that their supposed to bypass this somehow, one reads the most amazing list of imputed influences attributed to them by lovers and hataz. Maybe it was better when we as listeners had a much smaller understanding of music as a whole than the artists we liked, rather than the other way round.

Woebot said:

"Gypsy. Hmm Gogol Bordello and all that. My friend Flashos involved in all this. Can't quite get with it myself."

Not so much into Gogol Bordello - more the stuff that sounds like delirious gypsy house (Basement Jaxx have made a chart-ready version of this with their new song "Hey You"). It's not really a "new thing" as such though, even if the comp is one of the best things I've heard this year.

ripley

Gypsy. Hmm Gogol Bordello and all that. My friend Flashos involved in all this. Can't quite get with it myself.

and Balkan Beat Box! Some of the tunes from their album went down a treat with audiences this last tour.

tryptych

waiting for a time

Do you mean music that just happens to be made by christians that has religious themes (eg Low), or specifically evangelical christian music?

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
well arctic monkeys were even more trad, they got a brilliant rep as a live unsigned band and used the internet as a wayof gathering fans. then got signed. i remember people saying yeah labels are dead look at the monkeys etc, but they still went thru a label to get their sales etc.
Quite right. They had a totally traditional route to success - based on being, by some margin, a better live act than any of their peers. Watch the Reading or, even more, the T in the Park footage. Compare and contrast with, say, Kasabian - their competition simply don't cut it as live acts. The Monkeys are like the Faces, the Kinks and the Jam squashed together, pin-sharp precision, stop-start discipline, and languourous glamour all intact. And Mardy Bum is as good as anything the Beatles did before Rubber Soul. (Whether they'll do anything as good as the best of Revolver remains to be seen - I doubt it).

Their Myspace page was set up by a fan.

They had managament from early on as well.

Well, they had their music teacher as their manager. He only recently stopped doing it IIRC.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Do you mean music that just happens to be made by christians that has religious themes (eg Low), or specifically evangelical christian music?
Evangelical stuff. I think there's going to be loads more of this stuff.

I don't know whether folk is "the way forward" or not but it certainly seems to be very hip at the moment - and of course worth listening to.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"The next big thing is christian religious music coming out in multiple genres - reggae, hip hop, rock etc. It's already big but I think it's going to get much bigger."

"Evangelical stuff. I think there's going to be loads more of this stuff."

Why do you say this?

Guybrush

Dittohead
This is America you're speaking of here, I presume. That sounds like a pretty exciting prospect to my ears, I pray they don't go down the tired-as-hell emo-rock route again though.

I agree with what somebody said upthread: it's bizarre that people are looking for "the next thing" when there currently is such a colossal abundance of great music available for free - old and new and anything inbetween. If you, however, by "the new thing" mean the mainstream hegemony of rock being replaced with something different then I'm with you.

I predict that "the next thing" will be "dance music" breaking into the American market - at last! Not because of label support (I won't get any), not because of airplay (it won't get any), but because of a download culture which allows Americans to finally encounter real dance music -- unfiltered. This conclusion, I might add, I have come to because I've myself witnessed the way most download sites/mp3-blogs haphazardously mix "dance music" links with Hip hop/R&B links, something that is bound to lead to a serendipitous find here and there.

Balkan Beat Box are great!